521 VERY Laggy and Slow After 8.1 Update!!

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Notification center is NOT working for certain apps or email. And I am not Getting ANY Tap notifications from Instagram, Kik, Text now, etc etc. The Live tiles seem to be working. I also notice unresponsiveness. It will Freeze up for a couple of seconds and then it scrolls. It was fine for a week or two after the update nows its almost like an android. Even the IE11 crashes everyone ina while. Anyone else experiencing this?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I experienced this *exactly* to the letter (it's like you typed this straight out of my brain), when I updated my 1020. So I kicked off a backup and did a hard reset and started fresh. To my surprise (and delight) all those problems disappeared.

I do notice some things are a bit slower, like launching Nokia camera is much slower now, but other things are a tad faster. But I have to keep reminding myself that this is a beta and I can't expect things to be perfect.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
It seems a removal of the battery and sim card. Fixed the notification center, tap notifications and even speed. MOMENTARILY. But awhile after us it went back to the sluggish laggy android mode like before with NO notifications. Do you recommend a hard reset?? I've been thinking about it...but there's this game in obssesed about and don't wanna lose all my coins and data for it lol
I experienced this *exactly* to the letter (it's like you typed this straight out of my brain), when I updated my 1020. So I kicked off a backup and did a hard reset and started fresh. To my surprise (and delight) all those problems disappeared.

I do notice some things are a bit slower, like launching Nokia camera is much slower now, but other things are a tad faster. But I have to keep reminding myself that this is a beta and I can't expect things to be perfect.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It seems a removal of the battery and sim card. Fixed the notification center, tap notifications and even speed. MOMENTARILY. But awhile after us it went back to the sluggish laggy android mode like before with NO notifications. Do you recommend a hard reset?? I've been thinking about it...but there's this game in obssesed about and don't wanna lose all my coins and data for it lol
LOL is is Hill Climb Racing? Yeah, I lost all my coins from that game. I wonder what happens if you move your app/game to SD card and then do a reset. Would that maintain game data? Would it erase the SD card too? No idea.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I use Battery Saver to keep track of my apps usage. some apps can slow the phone down. Disable those apps may help.

XjokiX7

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I decided to risk it and go for the update. I haven't had most problems people are complaining about.. it was sluggish and things wouldn't load when I first installed it but after a while it just went away. I've had no problem with gps, no problem with texting or calling, and I haven't checked wifi calling cause I never used it. No point for me since getting unlimited calling and texting :p it's really stable.. for me at least. it WILL be different for everyone.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Its actually stars conquer. I play it religiously and am at level 76 lol took me forever to build my city. But received good news from the devs that they support cloud so if I decide to hard reset I just log in and my data will be there. As for the lags and notification problems. Still nothing. Soft resets only help it for a bit then it goes back to the same thing. Also moving games or apps to SD card will not save them.
LOL is is Hill Climb Racing? Yeah, I lost all my coins from that game. I wonder what happens if you move your app/game to SD card and then do a reset. Would that maintain game data? Would it erase the SD card too? No idea.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
What about the notifications? There not working at all. I cant figure out what it is. They work after I reboot and take the battery but that's it.
I use Battery Saver to keep track of my apps usage. some apps can slow the phone down. Disable those apps may help.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
We have a 521 and even though I haven't updated to 8.1 we had some similar problems. I tried everything, including factory resets, to no avail. The only thing that makes it run right is to take out the SD card. I don't know if it's the specific card (a good SanDisk 32GB) since we haven't tried a different card yet. If you can live without it for a while, give it a try.

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Notification center is NOT working for certain apps or email. And I am not Getting ANY Tap notifications from Instagram, Kik, Text now, etc etc. The Live tiles seem to be working. I also notice unresponsiveness. It will Freeze up for a couple of seconds and then it scrolls. It was fine for a week or two after the update nows its almost like an android. Even the IE11 crashes everyone ina while. Anyone else experiencing this?

My Lumia 521 went from THE BEST PHONE EVER to I NEED A NEW PHONE. If you have a 521, I recommend not updating to Cyan. The phone hangs all the time, programs don't close. Hard reset did nothing except make me lose game progress.
I am debating buying another one and not update.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I had tried Dev Preview in the spring on my 520. I stuck with it through at least 3-4 updates. It definitely struggled -- was reminiscent of "low end Android" for sure. I think the 512 memory is probably the real killer. I ended up rolling it back to 8/GDR3 and it was back to normal.

I did however apply the Dev Preview (with Update 1) to a 928 I bought for my mom this last week. Outside of some of the changes they made that I disagree with, the performance was WP butter smooth. Nary a stutter or glitch to be seen.

World of difference.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I had tried Dev Preview in the spring on my 520. I stuck with it through at least 3-4 updates. It definitely struggled -- was reminiscent of "low end Android" for sure. I think the 512 memory is probably the real killer. I ended up rolling it back to 8/GDR3 and it was back to normal.

I did however apply the Dev Preview (with Update 1) to a 928 I bought for my mom this last week. Outside of some of the changes they made that I disagree with, the performance was WP butter smooth. Nary a stutter or glitch to be seen.

World of difference.

If you were willing to flash and lose all of your data, you should have flashed 8.1, or if there was no 8.1 ROM, re-updated to 8.1 after flashing 8.0 and HR. I had a 520, put 8.1 on it. Worked perfectly fine, wasn't any slower than 8.0.

Issues with 8.1 likely arise from issues in the install process. You can't compare a fresh flash to a potentially botched install of 8.1

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
If you were willing to flash and lose all of your data, you should have flashed 8.1, or if there was no 8.1 ROM, re-updated to 8.1 after flashing 8.0 and HR. I had a 520, put 8.1 on it. Worked perfectly fine, wasn't any slower than 8.0.

Issues with 8.1 likely arise from issues in the install process. You can't compare a fresh flash to a potentially botched install of 8.1

I *did* try it again. Same results. Hard reset first. Swapped SD card. Downgraded back to 8 (not possible, officially, of course), and did update again. All same results.

And then running flawlessly on 8 (and continuing to do so, for several months now, not just a day or two) leads me to rule out hardware.

I dunno. *shrug*

(note: I had given up by the time AT&T finally rolled out Cyan, fwiw)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12