WP 8.1 Update for Lumia 521

Karl Kahambwe

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I keep seeing people get the update, but everytime I check for updates it say my phone is up to date. In the about phone section of the settings app, it says that I have WP 8.0, but it won't show an update and I really want Cortana!!!

XjokiX7

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
As stated by Microsoft the actual release will be next month. You can get it right now in developer mode but a month isn't that much to wait so I recommend that :p unless you're like me "impatient" and just want to try it out then go for it!

Karl Kahambwe

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Ohh, ok I feel kinda stupid now, because I saw all those videos on YouTube with people reviewing the update and I was like, how come I can't get it!

ibenzawla

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I installed 8.1 last night and Wow!!! What an OS. My low end 521 just got the best upgrade I could imagine. I mean everything is well thought out and just make sense. I followed your instructions and everything went on fine. With this MS has finally stepped into the future. Xbox music though remains a bit sluggish but nothing I can't live with. I miss those social media integration on the People hub when you can easily post updates without leaving the app. But again they got rid of that for a reason. 8.1 is an extra validation for my switch from Android last year. I have never felt this connected to a mobile phone. As for my best feature, I would say besides Cortana I really like the ability to install apps and downloads directly to SD card. I never understand why they never let us make good use of such a fantastic addition to a mobile device. That's one less thing to worry about. Oh and imagine that Microsoft gave us the ability to bypass stingy carriers and try out OS upgrades as soon as they are released. This is something I am happy to pay for if needs be. Superb job Microsoft.:smile:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
An exact date has not been announced, it will depend on your carrier (T-Mobile I'm assuming). But some time next month is the best estimation available.

jcjr_1985

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the 521 from MetroPCS (T-Mobile prepaid service) and I have the preview version, it is expected to come out sometime when T-Mobile and MetroPCS get the latest Lumia phone the 63x between now and the end of August beginning of September. From what I have seen on the Nokia website Cyan is undergoing testing still so its just a matter of waiting and seeing at this point

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I been wonder if the 8.1 has been release by T-Mobile yet! I will check back in mid August if it been release! Many T-Mobile 521 users have been wondering the same I am sure of that.

TB1701

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have a 521 with the Black update? My phone says that I have the Black update, but I cannot confirm if I have "Update 3" or not. I went to YouTube to understand what I get with the Black update and I cannot activate any of the features that are part of the Black firmware update. Is there an activation sequence, or ...

What is the word on when will the 8.1 OTA be available for the 521 users.

P.S. If I reset the phone (not a hard reset) what happens? My phone has been acting funny; I went to send a text to my son last night and the phone went through what I can only describe as a "warm boot" and then I had to resed the text. My son told me this AM that the text was sent twice.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a 521 with the Black update? My phone says that I have the Black update, but I cannot confirm if I have "Update 3" or not. I went to YouTube to understand what I get with the Black update and I cannot activate any of the features that are part of the Black firmware update. Is there an activation sequence, or ...

What is the word on when will the 8.1 OTA be available for the 521 users.

P.S. If I reset the phone (not a hard reset) what happens? My phone has been acting funny; I went to send a text to my son last night and the phone went through what I can only describe as a "warm boot" and then I had to resed the text. My son told me this AM that the text was sent twice.

My sister has been on the Update 3 with the Black update for a while. I upgraded her to 8.1 a couple months ago.
Update 3 and Black are generally separate entities served together. If you press and hold the back button, do you see a close button on cards? (X) - that is a new addition in Update 3 I believe.
Also look in the main settings list. Driving mode and Rotation lock is new in Update 3.

No word on the 521's 8.1+Cyan update bundle, but we know its coming, its been officially confirmed. If you soft reset a phone, its kinda like a cleaner reboot. Clearing out some stuff, it helps alleviate some problems and is the first troubleshooting step.

Ray662

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
i just did a update check and its still not here yet i am a T-mobile customer with a lumia 521 so i guess we got to wait on them to get there fingers out there butts and approve the update for everyone waiting

Coraje187

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
No they said summer and its almost over with no deadline/ Set date. The reason I got the 5.21 was cause I wanted something simple and they said it would be getting the 8.1 this summer.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I been wonder if the 8.1 has been release by T-Mobile yet! I will check back in mid August if it been release! Many T-Mobile 521 users have been wondering the same I am sure of that.

T-Mobile has always been the carrier that is the last to update WP OS! I shooting for mid of September now! LOL!

Coraje187

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile has always been the carrier that is the last to update WP OS! I shooting for mid of September now! LOL!

Agree with you there. lol

Well from what I been reading they lied, not this summer because now there saying this year sometime. Win 9 phones will be out by the time they update and I'm better off getting a new phone threw a company that updates.

Last edited:

Ray662

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Still nothing on the update as of 9/16/2014 from tmobile and it seems its to get us to upgrade our phones i guess they want to see how many people will buy "Brand New Phones" with the 8.1 update already on them..............that right there is not right at all and makes me want to switch carriers even more now this update has been released for a while now :angry:

Kentavious Finley

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I've had my 521 for about a week now and when I found out its getting the 8.1 Update, I was hyped. But we're not seeing anything and it makes me wonder if the 521 is getting the update at all this year :(

XjokiX7

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 930 is now rolling it's windows 8.1 update 1. Meanwhile the Lumia 521 is still waiting for the original 8.1 update. ._.

Coraje187

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Its Nov and still no update, first summer then later this year. Now there rolling out the 930 and still no update for the 521. If you ask T mobile support they will copy and paste. "Go to software page we know nothing. " I'm on the edge on just changing carriers. I don't need a high end phone I don't use it that much but when I bought it they said you will get the 8.1 update soon. Months later and still no update.

Ryzzlle

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Its Nov and still no update, first summer then later this year. Now there rolling out the 930 and still no update for the 521. If you ask T mobile support they will copy and paste. "Go to software page we know nothing. " I'm on the edge on just changing carriers. I don't need a high end phone I don't use it that much but when I bought it they said you will get the 8.1 update soon. Months later and still no update.
They said it'd be rolling out sometime this month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss