Bought a Second 521

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I was having some problems with my 521 that I think are hardware related so I bought a second one to use to test and to use if I have to send the other in for service. New Egg has a pretty good price on the 521 right now, btw.

Questions:

1) If I switch to the new phone and switch the SIM to it and my MicroSD card, will all of the settings and apps come up on the new phone? Or will I have to do a backup and transfer that later?

2) If I want to start fresh and use the SIM card that comes with the new phone can I have that set up with my current Prepaid account with T-Mobile?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
1) If you backup your settings before you switch over to the new phone, when you setup your new phone those settings will carry over after you setup your account on it. Contacts, phone numbers, message etc. you will have a list of apps, but you will have to reinstall them.

2)You will need to contact T-Mobile and have them switch from your old sim to new sim

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I was having some problems with my 521 that I think are hardware related so I bought a second one to use to test and to use if I have to send the other in for service. New Egg has a pretty good price on the 521 right now, btw.

Questions:

1) If I switch to the new phone and switch the SIM to it and my MicroSD card, will all of the settings and apps come up on the new phone? Or will I have to do a backup and transfer that later?

2) If I want to start fresh and use the SIM card that comes with the new phone can I have that set up with my current Prepaid account with T-Mobile?
When you put your prepaid SIM in the new phone, it will carry on with your prepaid account. No problems.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Questions:

Just sent one of my 521's to Nokia repair in Ft. Worth, TX. last week for a problem with the screen.
The phone I sent in was on the 8.1 preview which I rolled back to 8 with care suite.

I just inserted my SIM and SD into the unused 521 we had thrown into a drawer.
Not everything came back because the phone was still on Amber.

It did find the network and contacts with the existing SIM.
Not being on the latest updates the back up wasn't all there as backed up from the 521 sent for repair.

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I just inserted my SIM and SD into the unused 521 we had thrown into a drawer. Not everything came back because the phone was still on Amber.

Thanks all for the information and advice. I'm hoping the new one will be at Black. I may just start fresh as long as I can transfer the number and account information to that new SIM.. The last time I did a hard reset to try and cure the current problem, I didn't lose much. A few apps, but my contacts all updated through Outlook.com so that helped. Thanks again!

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@molimelight --- I'm curious (if I'm reading your posts correctly) that your going to install the SIM that comes with the new phone? I read your post as you wanted to install the SIM from your old phone to the new one. You can just install the SIM from the old one into the new one and your prepaid account information will carry on. Your phone number is tied to the SIM. I'm thinking if you use the SIM that comes with new phone it will require a whole new account, phone number, etc... Now I could be mistaken. When I got my 925 I just installed the SIM that was in my 521 and all my T-Mobile account just carried on ... same phone number/plan etc. A brand new SIM may require activation which would mean new phone number, plan choice, etc....

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update and information. I'll probably just use the SIM from my current phone. I just wasn't sure if all of the settings, etc would transfer with it. I wanted to avoid that in case that was the cause of my current problems.
Sent from my Nokia 521 WP8 phone using Tapatalk.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update and information. I'll probably just use the SIM from my current phone. I just wasn't sure if all of the settings, etc would transfer with it. I wanted to avoid that in case that was the cause of my current problems.
Sent from my Nokia 521 WP8 phone using Tapatalk.
When you start up the new 521 with your old SIM you will be asked if you want to restore from any backups that are saved. Just start fresh with no backup. :smile:

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
When you start up the new 521 with your old SIM you will be asked if you want to restore from any backups that are saved. Just start fresh with no backup. :smile:

Great, that's just what I needed to know. Appreciate all of the help! Now, if Fed Ex would just get it to my door! :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital