What is wrong with my 521?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

I've had this phone for a couple of months, maybe since May, and a month or two after I got it it's been restarting quite frequently. Now it's up to about once or twice a day, it's very annoying. Usually it happens while browsing, but also in some apps like the youtube app I have. Other times it will just close IE without restarting.

I've heard some say there was a battery issue, but I've braced the battery on the back and it still happens. It's probably software related-- is my phone defective? Should I look into the warranty?

PhoneUser24

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
It just blacks out, no 'goodbye'. Using regular windows phone 8 that came with it, not 8.1 since that hasn't arrived yet. I'll look into the software recovery thing.

Last edited:

momomo66

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... mine was doing that over and over again to an annoying degree. I finally restored it to its original settings, installed a few less apps, and haven't had the problem since. I'm assuming it's a software problem.

Rakesh Singh5

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I just used Nokia Lumia 521 for less than a month and now my phone is showing Tmobile login window forever. I am not sure what has happend to my phone. I am unable to use the phone, I tried using the hard reset but no luck at all. I had tried installing Developer Preview in my Lumia earlier today.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I just used Nokia Lumia 521 for less than a month and now my phone is showing Tmobile login window forever. I am not sure what has happend to my phone. I am unable to use the phone, I tried using the hard reset but no luck at all. I had tried installing Developer Preview in my Lumia earlier today.

Have you try using the nokia recovery tool that was mentioned in this thread? A clean operating system load could fix it.

PhoneUser24

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm the original poster-- I did the nokia recovery tool a few weeks ago, and I'm still having these problems. Perhaps a little less frequent.

Certain websites, like forums, will just close IE. The youtube app I have closes all the time, it's called youtube HD I think. And some other times the phone will just do weird things, like go dark and you have to put it into sleep and wake it back up.

I guess my question is: is this just what the phone does? Maybe it has a weak processor? Or is it defective?

I'm not too keen on the prospect of sending my phone away for a few weeks to wait for a replacement.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm the original poster-- I did the nokia recovery tool a few weeks ago, and I'm still having these problems. Perhaps a little less frequent.

Certain websites, like forums, will just close IE. The youtube app I have closes all the time, it's called youtube HD I think. And some other times the phone will just do weird things, like go dark and you have to put it into sleep and wake it back up.

I guess my question is: is this just what the phone does? Maybe it has a weak processor? Or is it defective?

I'm not too keen on the prospect of sending my phone away for a few weeks to wait for a replacement.

If the nokia recovery tool did not solve the problem, perhaps the phone is defected. As you mention you do not like to send the phone in for repair, the two options I may have are; keep the phone or purchase a new one.

ZKnowN

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Keeping the phone is a useless option as if once you need it and it just close on you. Purchase will be a better option.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Is your phone powering off completely? Perhaps there is an ineffective battery contact? Try putting a small piece of paper at the opposite end from the battery cantacts and see if that makes a more reliable contact. Possibly the battery is just slightly undersized...
Just thinkin' here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss