I've had this phone for a couple of months, maybe since May, and a month or two after I got it it's been restarting quite frequently. Now it's up to about once or twice a day, it's very annoying. Usually it happens while browsing, but also in some apps like the youtube app I have. Other times it will just close IE without restarting.

I've heard some say there was a battery issue, but I've braced the battery on the back and it still happens. It's probably software related-- is my phone defective? Should I look into the warranty?
    09-03-2014 11:17 AM
    Does the device say "Goodbye" first or just immediately lose power? Also, are you on 8.0 or 8.1?
    09-03-2014 12:49 PM
    What version of WP are you using? And yes looking into your warranty options is a wise idea. You might want to downgrade it to WP8 via Nokia Software Recovery Tool before you send it in though.
    FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Nokia - USA
    09-03-2014 02:24 PM
    It just blacks out, no 'goodbye'. Using regular windows phone 8 that came with it, not 8.1 since that hasn't arrived yet. I'll look into the software recovery thing.
    Last edited by PhoneUser24; 09-03-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    09-03-2014 04:38 PM
    Yeah... mine was doing that over and over again to an annoying degree. I finally restored it to its original settings, installed a few less apps, and haven't had the problem since. I'm assuming it's a software problem.
    09-04-2014 01:44 PM
    I just used Nokia Lumia 521 for less than a month and now my phone is showing Tmobile login window forever. I am not sure what has happend to my phone. I am unable to use the phone, I tried using the hard reset but no luck at all. I had tried installing Developer Preview in my Lumia earlier today.
    09-06-2014 02:32 AM
    I just used Nokia Lumia 521 for less than a month and now my phone is showing Tmobile login window forever. I am not sure what has happend to my phone. I am unable to use the phone, I tried using the hard reset but no luck at all. I had tried installing Developer Preview in my Lumia earlier today.
    Have you try using the nokia recovery tool that was mentioned in this thread? A clean operating system load could fix it.
    09-06-2014 10:56 PM
    I'm the original poster-- I did the nokia recovery tool a few weeks ago, and I'm still having these problems. Perhaps a little less frequent.

Certain websites, like forums, will just close IE. The youtube app I have closes all the time, it's called youtube HD I think. And some other times the phone will just do weird things, like go dark and you have to put it into sleep and wake it back up.

I guess my question is: is this just what the phone does? Maybe it has a weak processor? Or is it defective?

I'm not too keen on the prospect of sending my phone away for a few weeks to wait for a replacement.
    11-02-2014 10:02 AM
    I'm the original poster-- I did the nokia recovery tool a few weeks ago, and I'm still having these problems. Perhaps a little less frequent.

Certain websites, like forums, will just close IE. The youtube app I have closes all the time, it's called youtube HD I think. And some other times the phone will just do weird things, like go dark and you have to put it into sleep and wake it back up.

I guess my question is: is this just what the phone does? Maybe it has a weak processor? Or is it defective?

I'm not too keen on the prospect of sending my phone away for a few weeks to wait for a replacement.
    If the nokia recovery tool did not solve the problem, perhaps the phone is defected. As you mention you do not like to send the phone in for repair, the two options I may have are; keep the phone or purchase a new one.
    11-02-2014 11:57 AM
    Keeping the phone is a useless option as if once you need it and it just close on you. Purchase will be a better option.
    11-02-2014 12:07 PM
    Is your phone powering off completely? Perhaps there is an ineffective battery contact? Try putting a small piece of paper at the opposite end from the battery cantacts and see if that makes a more reliable contact. Possibly the battery is just slightly undersized...
    Just thinkin' here.
    11-28-2014 06:34 PM