Scan SD card and fix errors

alfunlee

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I started getting this error after about 2 months after updating to Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia Cyan. I never got this error before on Windows Phone 8.0 Lumia Black. When I insert the SD card with an adapter into my laptop with Windows 8.1 I also get an error.

Anyone using their phone with a SD memory card get this error? Did you only start getting the error after updating to Windows 8.1 Lumia Cyan?

Attachments

• phone_error.png
    phone_error.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 357
  • laptop_error.png
    laptop_error.png
    3 KB · Views: 358

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Errors on SD happen and the longer you use them higher the possibility they occur. And also in black these errors happens so they are not 8.1 only.
You can use your phone or pc to scan on errors and try to repair them. Your pc is "better" in repairing them. If the error can not be repaired you can format the card (but you loose your data). If the errors are repaired or the card is formatted you can use it again in your phone. But if there are again errors after a while I would recommend to buy a new card.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I can not move 5 gigs of apps to my phone, can backup help?

Yes you could do a back up than replace your card and do a hard reset.

Or move as much as possible and than add the new card and reinstall the ones you lost.

Not sure which one will "cost" you the most time/effort.
You have to judge this by yourself

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I want to backup stores+ settings only, that means it won't talk me long time to get it back as it was.
(I want to use Lumia recovery tool)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If you want to use the Lumia recovery tool than that is a good option.
But be aware that if you are now on CYAN P4D you will go back CYAN so you will miss some features like live tilled. So maybe the start screen will not be exactly the same.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
If you want to use the Lumia recovery tool than that is a good option.
But be aware that if you are now on CYAN P4D you will go back CYAN so you will miss some features like live tilled. So maybe the start screen will not be exactly the same.
Hmmm, that's not a big problem, I'm doing this because i want denim :)

alfunlee

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
How to fix SD card errors in Windows Phone 8.1 | WPcyte

I scanned my SD card with my phone and the error comes back after a while. I also scanned my SD card with my laptop and the error also returns back after a while. Nothing seems wrong with my phone, its just kind of annoying seeing the error and having to scan quit often. I always use the USB disconnect utility whenever I unplug my phone from the laptop

All of the apps that allow to be stored on a SD card are on my SD card. How do you move apps from the SD card to your phone? Is it possible to backup the apps that are on the SD card to a laptop?

I formatted my SD card through the phone and the error returns. I also formatted the SD card with my laptop and the error also returns.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
If you've enough storage on your phone you can move all apps to it using STORAGE SENSE.
Can you tell us more about your SD card? Speed, name, etc

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You can't reinstall the apps that you have installed on the current sd card after copying the data to a new one cause the phone codes the particular card to your phone only and hence it asks you to delete those apps first to install new apps only way is to download them again

alfunlee

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
If you've enough storage on your phone you can move all apps to it using STORAGE SENSE.
Can you tell us more about your SD card? Speed, name, etc
If I go to the setting "Store new apps on my" in Storage Sense and change it from "SD card" to "phone" this will start moving my apps from my SD card to phone?

Or do I need to delete the apps from my SD card then change the "Store new apps on my" in Storage Sense to "phone" then re-download the app like what buddy007 is describing?

G.SKILL 32GB microSDHC Class 10
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e....aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16820231577&token=Iiox974R

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
If I go to the setting "Store new apps on my" in Storage Sense and change it from "SD card" to "phone" this will start moving my apps from my SD card to phone?

Or do I need to delete the apps from my SD card then change the "Store new apps on my" in Storage Sense to "phone" then re-download the app like what buddy007 is describing?

G.SKILL 32GB microSDHC Class 10
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e....aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16820231577&token=kgDq9n59
No, go to storage sense, open SD card, open apps+ games, the tick everything and tap move -- note that if you don't have enough storage you need to delete, but before that perform a backup
The option you talked about for the apps you'll install in the future.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem after Denim too. On my Lumia525. It's the same SD I used with Black. It was a Class6 SanDisk 8GB. I thought the card was faulty, so I bought a new SD a Sandisk Class10 with 16GB. I reinstalled the apps (I don't use that many apps BTW). Recently I did a soft reset to my Lumia525 after some freezing after taking photos (I forgot on which camera app). the soft reset I'm referring to is the one where you hold the down key + power for 10 seconds. Once done, it shows SD card error like OP above. I turn off and back on, then another time removing the battery but that problem still persists until now. Now if I turn my phone off then every time it is back on, it gives that SD error message. I dunno how to solve it, backup my data...just in case.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue with my L1320.. Had to give up my 32gig SD because of that crap. Constant errors with SD card in the phone. I'm running cyan. Countless scans and repairs in phone and PC. Eventually I had no choice but to use an 8gig I had laying around. And I still get that issue every now and again. This L1320 is notoriously bitchy with SD cards.

faalil

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem in my 630 Lumia WP8.1 update 1 PFD, but its only when I restart the phone.. When phone is switched on and after Windows logo appeared a message popped up and telling me to "Scan SD card for errors". I just ignore it as I don't restart or switch off my phone often.. Otherwise I don't get any error messages beside that.. Is it ok to ignore it or should I change my SD Card a ( 16 GB Kingston class 10 )

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem after Denim too. On my Lumia525. It's the same SD I used with Black. It was a Class6 SanDisk 8GB. I thought the card was faulty, so I bought a new SD a Sandisk Class10 with 16GB. I reinstalled the apps (I don't use that many apps BTW). Recently I did a soft reset to my Lumia525 after some freezing after taking photos (I forgot on which camera app). the soft reset I'm referring to is the one where you hold the down key + power for 10 seconds. Once done, it shows SD card error like OP above. I turn off and back on, then another time removing the battery but that problem still persists until now. Now if I turn my phone off then every time it is back on, it gives that SD error message. I dunno how to solve it, backup my data...just in case.

Check in above posts there you find what you can do.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem in my 630 Lumia WP8.1 update 1 PFD, but its only when I restart the phone.. When phone is switched on and after Windows logo appeared a message popped up and telling me to "Scan SD card for errors". I just ignore it as I don't restart or switch off my phone often.. Otherwise I don't get any error messages beside that.. Is it ok to ignore it or should I change my SD Card a ( 16 GB Kingston class 10 )

No best is to scan it for errors on your phone or otherwise on your PC.
If the error's are "repaired" but they come back again than change your SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3