Are apps and games optimized for 512 mb devices different from 1 gb devices? If so...

cdanieljohn

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Are apps and games optimized for 512 mb devices differ from 1 gb devices? If so, is it possible that our 525 devices get apps/games optimized for 512 mb devices version?
If apps/games that require 1 gb ram for a device to run, then it is made for mid-high end devices?
Even if 525 has 1 gb ram it still have a weak processor and can't be pushed to be a mid end device. Getting an app/game optimized for 512 mb devices and running it to our 525 devices would be great.

If it is, is it possible?

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
There is no difference between "apps optimised for 512 mb ram" and the app you get.
Some apps can't run in 512 mb devices because of there low memory it doesn't connect with processor.
Yeah, if an app is optimized for 512 mb ram mobiles it's also optimized for you. If a game lagging in your mobile it's because the game is not perfectly coded/optimized.
Can give the name of app that is lagging in your device?

Alsatian Studio

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
re:

Hi, I'm an amateur game dev, and here's what I know:
- If developers target on low-end devices (so their games can run on all devices), they have to make their games "lighter", or make a lighter version. There are no "optimized" for 512MB.
- WP devices are more closed than a PC. No tweak, no "optimized" or anything. Either that game runs, or not. No body can help.

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
re:

Depends on the game but some games will have lower graphics detail on 512MB phones. The processor speed won't help much as high detail/resolution graphics requires more RAM

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

Depends on the game but some games will have lower graphics detail on 512MB phones. The processor speed won't help much as high detail/resolution graphics requires more RAM

No you are wrong basically it depends upon gpu.
Secondary on ram-A high end game can run smoothly on your device if the developer make the game run using only a subset of memory required to play it. Then you are good to go.

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
re:

No you are wrong basically it depends upon gpu.
Secondary on ram-A high end game can run smoothly on your device if the developer make the game run using only a subset of memory required to play it. Then you are good to go.

The GPU speed does influence it but if there isn't enough memory to store the textures and polygons at the amount and speed required by the GPU it will still be slow.

This is why new high-end desktop GPUs are shipping with 3GB+ RAM, to accommodate higher resolutions than 1080p as 4K screens are becoming more mainstream

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

The GPU speed does influence it but if there isn't enough memory to store the textures and polygons at the amount and speed required by the GPU it will still be slow.

This is why new high-end desktop GPUs are shipping with 3GB+ RAM, to accommodate higher resolutions than 1080p as 4K screens are becoming more mainstream
That's why I gave ram second position.
Read my full post first.

cdanieljohn

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
re:

Hi, I'm an amateur game dev, and here's what I know:
- If developers target on low-end devices (so their games can run on all devices), they have to make their games "lighter", or make a lighter version. There are no "optimized" for 512MB.
- WP devices are more closed than a PC. No tweak, no "optimized" or anything. Either that game runs, or not. No body can help.
So there are 2 versions? but he said
There is no difference between "apps optimised for 512 mb ram" and the app you get.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
re:

Are apps and games optimized for 512 mb devices differ from 1 gb devices? If so, is it possible that our 525 devices get apps/games optimized for 512 mb devices version?

Here at WPC people tend to just speak of "optimization for 512 MB devices", as if that were a simple and clear cut "thing". That is not true. A wide range of approaches exist to doing this "optimization", and the type of app will influence that heavily. An app can query how much memory it has available and dynamically reconfigure itself to run differently on a low memory device, for example by omitting/disabling features that require a lot of RAM. Some apps, particularly 3D games, may chose to load lower resolution versions of graphical images to conserve RAM. Some games will shorten or reduce the quality of the music they can play. Many other approaches exist, but these are the most typical.

All of this is independent of how the game is packaged, meaning the XAP file that your phone downloads from the WP store usually won't, but can differ, depending on whether it's downloaded to a 512 MB device, or a device with more memory.

If apps/games that require 1 gb ram for a device to run, then it is made for mid-high end devices?

No. Practically every app/game that runs only on 1GB devices could (with more or less development effort) also run just fine on the lower end models. No professional developer in the world targets high-end WP devices specifically.

Even if 525 has 1 gb ram it still have a weak processor and can't be pushed to be a mid end device. Getting an app/game optimized for 512 mb devices and running it to our 525 devices would be great. If it is, is it possible?

It's not uncommon to see developers announcing 512 MB compatibility for games that previously were not, so of course that is possible.

cdanieljohn

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Re:

It's not uncommon to see developers announcing 512 MB compatibility for games that previously were not, so of course that is possible.

Making the app/game run on 512 mb settings even if you are running it on our lumia 525 with 1 gb ram is possible, then we'll have extra ram available. It would be great having extra ram then, for multitasking like texting etc. or even use the extra ram to catch up on some game/app hiccups?

Follow up question, does it require a big effort for developers to it? But i guess it is...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Making the app/game run on 512 mb settings even if you are running it on our lumia 525 with 1 gb ram is possible, then we'll have extra ram available. It would be great having extra ram then, for multitasking like texting etc. or even use the extra ram to catch up on some game/app hiccups?

Follow up question, does it require a big effort for developers to it? But i guess it is...

Ah, ok, now I understand your last question. On WP8.0 the OS treats all apps/games as if they use the same amount of RAM. No matter how aggressively the app/game conserves RAM, there is no difference in terms of task switching/resuming.

On WP8.1 (but only when using apps programmed for WP8.1) this is different, so such an app could theoretically raise the number of apps the OS can simultaneously keep in memory, before tombstoning is required. However, I'm not aware of any app/game that would allow you to run it in "512 MB" mode on a 1GB device.

How much work is required for 512 MB optimization can be very different, ranging from a few days to a few months. It depends on the chosen optimization approach(es). Note also that once a developer adds the ability to run in a second low-memory mode, that must also be maintained. That means one or more future updates may take longer to complete than they otherwise would have, had the developer decided only to support 1GB models, so a developer might potentially "pay" for that capability many times over, in terms of higher maintenance costs.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss