Pleasently surprised with this phone!

toldyoso30

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I must say I wasn't expecting too much from this phone. Before getting it, I did some research online about it and I already knew that It didn't have much Ram and that Bluetooth would not work for file sharing with other devices.

Things I like About it:
-Desing and build! Feels and looks like a quality device.
-It's pretty snappy
-It's resilient: I've dropped it twice and not a single scratch
-The touch screen is very responsive
-It's pretty fast!
-Great battery life: One full charge lasts me all day.
-Great resolution.
-Easy e-mail integration.
-Multimedia options.
-Loud Speakers
-Great reception

Thigns I don't like:
-The camera is not very good.
-Facebook doesn't work well
-Zune!
-The Keys are kind of small.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Welcome convert, now preach the good word. ;-)

*Just kidding. I'm not a zealot. We need more people to spread the word about WP. It is much maligned due to its past and there are still many people that still have no idea about it. It will take a grassroots movement, people talking about it quietly but passionately about it to get people to open their eyes. If people gave it a chance, they'd see how good it really is. Yes it has its problems and issues, but don't they all?

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My 610 is on it's way in the mail, should have it tomorrow. Maybe I'll do an un-boxing or something. I paid 139€ for it unlocked from an online retailer, that's pretty cheap for a entry level WP I reckon, at least here in Finland.

P.S Should also say it's my very first smartphone.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My 610 is on it's way in the mail, should have it tomorrow. Maybe I'll do an un-boxing or something. I paid 139? for it unlocked from an online retailer, that's pretty cheap for a entry level WP I reckon, at least here in Finland.

P.S Should also say it's my very first smartphone.

Then you also get a big welcome to WPCentral!

MillionMonks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
me too. It was free for a plan here in Singapore. My first smart phone and pretty satisfied with it.
I don't really need the facebook app because the fb and twitter integration works well anyway.

caret

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Pleasantly surprised, too. It was a forced buy for me (old phone broke) - not really a phone enthusiast, but I'm hooked. I knew I liked the Windows Phones if I really had to get a new one. Didn't expect to get one so cheaply - a plus for someone who thinks phones are for making phone calls. :winktongue:

Got it for ?99 unlocked and picked up a pre-pay SIM that came with a years free data allowance (1GB/month). Its the baby of the Nokia Windows Phones, but despite that it feels of a much higher build quality than the other Lumias. Like a proper Nokia, really. I got the white one and it feels/ looks like a small iPhone (shhhh, don't tell Apple).

It's lower spec'ed than other Window Phones, but certainly doesn't feel slow or hindered in any way. The main difference that I can gather is that it doesn't allow apps to run tasks in the background when they're not explicitly running. That probably keeps everything running smoothly on the lower specs. Of course it has large differences compared to Windows Phone 8 devices, but I understand there is a Windows 7.8 update coming that will bring some of the interface improvements to the older OS. The screen is beautiful, touch is responsive and does what you asked of it, call quality is brilliant (scarily so for someone coming from 2008 tech), battery is good (I used it intensively and literally non-stop for 16 hours before having to charge, if I leave it alone it seems to get up to 3 days).

The camera isn't mind-blowing, but you can manually set ISO (up to 800) and white balance (from a few pre-settings). If you're a good photographer and lighting is good, this is all you'll need to get the best out of the camera. The best can look stunning when all you want to do is share it online. Stick with your dedicated camera for everything else.

It comes with free GPS.

It comes with Nokia Music, which is like a custom radio station. You plug in three artists, it makes a playlist of a half dozen or so songs based around your choices and similar stuff and you can listen to it ad-free. You can make as many playlists as you want, but you can only skip a song 6 times in an hour and can't see what songs are coming next. However, you can download any playlist to your phone for unlimited playback (allbeit, with the same rules). Basically, it's free music if you don't mind listening through a few playlists to find ones you like.

It's actually a really good phone - I'm shocked at how much tech has moved on. I payed the same for my 2008 cheap-tech phone back in the day and all it did was play MP3s and have a radio (which I needed to plug in an adapter to use anyway).

The only problem is I've turned into one of those 'oh, there is an app I have for that' fiends that I so deride!

Well done Nokia and Microsoft.

serpico

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I picked one of these up recently and it's my first Windows Phone. The experience is not as good as I had with the WP8 Nokia and HTC devices I tested. I was excited at first but now I understand why many didn't get hooked when it was first released. The phone build is very good with the soft texture back I like from HTC phones. It was snappy at first but with 256mb of ram, the limitations started showing up in the first couple of days. After downloading every app I had on my iPhone4 and Nexus One, it still was OK but after starting these apps it slowed down a lot. Using many popular apps like Facebook and Foursquare is painfully slow that I don't want to use it any longer. I don't like the way of installing apps from the website, it's in the middle of Google Play and iTunes it appears.

Basic function is nice, calendars, email, and such. Viewing the People Hub is a cool idea but WP7.5 feels limiting. I'm sure WP8 is a completely different experience after using it for the same amount of time. This phone is an entry phone from what I understand and it's a prepaid model from my carrier. A very nice model if you don't want to do any social activities except when you have no choice when you're out. I always feel like I'm staring at the phone way too long for example, just to check-in in Foursquare. I'm glad I tried it out but hopefully WP7.8 comes to this phone and I can give it a try again. I'm not sure I would sign up for 2-3 year contracts just yet with a WP8 device. I was looking forward to the Samsung Ativ S but I think I'll test it out first before committing myself to WP8.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I picked one of these up recently and it's my first Windows Phone. The experience is not as good as I had with the WP8 Nokia and HTC devices I tested. I was excited at first but now I understand why many didn't get hooked when it was first released. The phone build is very good with the soft texture back I like from HTC phones. It was snappy at first but with 256mb of ram, the limitations started showing up in the first couple of days. After downloading every app I had on my iPhone4 and Nexus One, it still was OK but after starting these apps it slowed down a lot. Using many popular apps like Facebook and Foursquare is painfully slow that I don't want to use it any longer. I don't like the way of installing apps from the website, it's in the middle of Google Play and iTunes it appears.

Basic function is nice, calendars, email, and such. Viewing the People Hub is a cool idea but WP7.5 feels limiting. I'm sure WP8 is a completely different experience after using it for the same amount of time. This phone is an entry phone from what I understand and it's a prepaid model from my carrier. A very nice model if you don't want to do any social activities except when you have no choice when you're out. I always feel like I'm staring at the phone way too long for example, just to check-in in Foursquare. I'm glad I tried it out but hopefully WP7.8 comes to this phone and I can give it a try again. I'm not sure I would sign up for 2-3 year contracts just yet with a WP8 device. I was looking forward to the Samsung Ativ S but I think I'll test it out first before committing myself to WP8.

Then I hope the Ativ S suits your needs better. Hopefully Samsung releases it before 2013. :grin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss