WP 7.8 official update

v0xel

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Greetings and salutations!

I know Microsoft announced that almost all 7.5 devices will get an upgrade to 7.8, but which version will they update the 610 to?
Just yesterday I took the plunge and updated my 610 to 7.8 through caresuite to version 8858. Is this the version they will update the devices to?

Friendly greetings.

smsmith1975

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's the final version.

My Lumia 900 reports OS version 7.10.8858.136

The last number (136 in my case) might be phone specific, not sure what it's supposed to mean.

v0xel

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, that helps alot.

There was a version in navifirm that came after, but 8858 is the only one that had my specific product code.
Are there any differences between using navifirm to get to 8858 and using zune? I've been able to sync with zune but I'm just worried that using the "unofficial" way might hurt my phone.

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you in advance.

smsmith1975

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The unofficial way, besides accidentally picking the wrong version and possibly bricking your phone, requires you to completely wipe the phone out. No backup is made. So after doing an update that way, you'd have to reenter all your account information, reinstall all your apps, probably relink any duplicate contacts, resync your music and photos (and if you didn't copy your camera roll off the phone first, those are gone), etc. Basically, you waste a fairly significant chunk of time.

If you've got 8858, you should be good to go. Any other update that might be waiting would just be firmware, not OS, and should come through normal channels fairly soon, but I don't that's the case here (i.e., you probably are as up to date as possible).

v0xel

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!

I am now on 7.8 build 8858 through Navifirm. I found my exact product code in Navifirm, so if I would have gotten the update through Zune, the result would be the same? Navifirm firmware downloads are never tampered with or changed?

Kind regards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro