Nokia 620 In Hand! Green color is awesome!

Samarth Joshi

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's not really a big of an issue with the "other" storage actually. It just fills up the phone built in 8GB memory but yeah, so far it's only 1.45GB but if it builds up further, I will inform you guys. However, as I said it doesn't really affect anything in the phone - just that you will have less space in your phone because of this. You can always store all your musics, pictures, videos and all in your 64GB SD card (not included upon purchase!). Problem solved! ;)

Well I thought that too,but if you go through this link you'll come to know that using a memory card is useless as the other storage keeps on increasing as you use your apps and games,and since you cannot store those apps in memory card,therefore all those temporary files get stored in the inbuilt memory only.Go through the thread,you'll understand it better.
And even if you delete the apps and games,memory is getting freed but not equal to the size of the app or game.Many people have got their inbuilt memory full and now they can't even perform basic operations.The only way to free it is a hard reset.But a curious thing is that this is NOT happening with a very few people.
With those people,as soon as the inbuilt memory reaches a critical point,space from the 'other' storage gets automatically freed.And this is what is supposed to happen in windows phone 8 but this is not the case with most of the people in that thread.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Well I thought that too,but if you go through this link you'll come to know that using a memory card is useless as the other storage keeps on increasing as you use your apps and games,and since you cannot store those apps in memory card,therefore all those temporary files get stored in the inbuilt memory only.Go through the thread,you'll understand it better.
And even if you delete the apps and games,memory is getting freed but not equal to the size of the app or game.Many people have got there inbuilt memory full and now they can't even perform basic operations.The only way to free it is a hard reset.But a curious thing is that this is NOT happening with a very few people.
With those people,as soon as the inbuilt memory reaches a critical point,space from the 'other' storage gets automatically freed.And this is what is supposed to happen in windows phone 8 but this is not the case with most of the people in that thread.

Holy, that guy has got 10GB of it! :shocked:

That's a nice bit of info there mate. Thanks! Will keep my eyes on it. Hopefully Microsoft will have a close look into it but it seems like a solution or an update for it to roll out before the release in India may not happen.

So I've uninstalled some apps from my phone and it went from 1.45GB to 1.43GB. I don't actually know how to explain much but this can be useful, taken from that thread.

Developer of Baconit here:

As far as I understand from being a developer, the “other” section is used for apps and the app storage as you guys have suggested. However, when you delete an app the entire app and its files are deleted from the phone including all cache and settings files. What you are seeing is that even though the system removes all of the data, it can’t reclaim all of the previously allocated room from the app as free space. I believe that the next time you install an app it will install into the space that was left from the old app and not add to “other” space unless the new app is larger than the old app.

That said, I think they only way to completely clear the “other” section is to factory reset your phone. :(

Again, this is just my understanding from what I have seen being a dev. :)

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I doubt the 620 will ever support wireless charging. The connectors at the back are for NFC lol..

Witless charging requires a separate set of connectors.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Please provide a source. On an other thread there's a breakdown of the lumia 620 and there is no NFC (connector) in the back...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Been seeing a lot of pictures and videos of the 620 lately and for a "budget phone" it looks great. The colours and the finish are much better than other low end Android phones out there.

I would consider getting one as a temporary phone to try out WP8.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Been seeing a lot of pictures and videos of the 620 lately and for a "budget phone" it looks great. The colours and the finish are much better than other low end Android phones out there.

My thoughts exactly

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes I definitely agree with this. The finishing quality of the phone is top notch and is very much expected from Nokia and is better than other offering that runs on Android with about the same pricing category. I think the only physical feature that this phone lacks is the Gorilla Glass which is a shame. But for that price, you have everything that a smartphone should have and WP8, I have no complain.

Battery life is definitely a concern as it only have 1300 mah battery capacity but I've been using this phone for 2 weeks already, and I can tell you can easily get in the range of 15-24 hours easily but I live in Malaysia so things might change in different country. I used my phone for frequent WhatsApp, a couple of phone calls, messaging, web browsing, use of camera, Facebook, Twitter, Board Express and many, many more. Still, this is what I got after those use yesterday.

wp_ss_20130129_0001.jpg

Once the Critical Battery warning (10% left) was out, I immediately went to the battery saver feature and switch it on. I didn't charge it, I use it instead with the same usage as before and it finally died around an hour after that.

It performs just as good and as long as any other top line smartphones. I held a test a couple of days ago with my friends with them using the Nokia Lumia 800, 900, Samsung Galaxy Note, S3 and iPhone 4S. The duration was from 10 in the morning until 9 at night and I got back home with almost 30% of battery left while the Note, S3 and iPhone 4S didn't make it. The worst performer was the Galaxy Note which completely died even before 9 o'clock. So despite having a small 1300 mah battery capacity, it performs very well just like any other top smartphones out there. Sure it will be great it has a bigger battery capacity like, 1800 mah for instance but for the actual price of the device itself, I have nothing to complain.

Boonta

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
about the "other" issue.

Can't imagine buying a 16GB phone and 10GB getting sucked away on cache.
Microsoft seriously need to look into it.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
about the "other" issue.

Can't imagine buying a 16GB phone and 10GB getting sucked away on cache.
Microsoft seriously need to look into it.

I think this will be fixed, or explained as soon as possible. Can't imagine this being overlooked by Microsoft. We just have to have patience on this one.

Once the Critical Battery warning (10% left) was out, I immediately went to the battery saver feature and switch it on. I didn't charge it, I use it instead with the same usage as before and it finally died around an hour after that.

It performs just as good and as long as any other top line smartphones. I held a test a couple of days ago with my friends with them using the Nokia Lumia 800, 900, Samsung Galaxy Note, S3 and iPhone 4S. The duration was from 10 in the morning until 9 at night and I got back home with almost 30% of battery left while the Note, S3 and iPhone 4S didn't make it. The worst performer was the Galaxy Note which completely died even before 9 o'clock. So despite having a small 1300 mah battery capacity, it performs very well just like any other top smartphones out there. Sure it will be great it has a bigger battery capacity like, 1800 mah for instance but for the actual price of the device itself, I have nothing to complain.

I'ts nice to here these kind of little tests :). As I have a galaxy S3, I always charge my battery in the evening, so I won't be concerned by having little juice left in the evening. Also, I'm not a power user. How you describe your phone usage is almost the same as mine :)

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke to the customer service where I ordered my Lumia 620 :grin: . Either next week or the week after I"ll be a proud owner as well!

dootndo2

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to reply to all the "chatter" on this thread. First, the battery life is very good if you have WiFi turned off. I am able to go 1-2 days of normal use. With the WiFi turned on, the battery certainly drains quickly.

I would recommend this phone for those users like me that have a need for a small form factor with minimal compromise. I loved my Treo Centro and I equate this to that (obviously the feature set is larger - but you get what I mean).

It feels great in the hand and the battery is a standard Nokia size. I have no doubts about getting a larger capacity battery. Or, just purchase a second one.

dootndo2

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I know people are concerned about the battery only being 1300. But my iPhone only has a 1420 battery and thats running a higher resolution display. If it bothers people I say get an after market battery. as for the'other' sotrage issues, it really takes the piss there isnt a file management system in WP8, its the reason I returned my 8S because 4GB (which is actually 1.7GB after the OS and other software) was too small to allow me to use this smart phone as an actual smart phone because you can get like 10 apps on the phone. Now with the 620, 8GB should be good enough for most people, all videos, music and photos can go on the SD Card and that leaves 5GB for apps and the stupid cache.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I know people are concerned about the battery only being 1300. But my iPhone only has a 1420 battery and thats running a higher resolution display. If it bothers people I say get an after market battery. as for the'other' sotrage issues, it really takes the piss there isnt a file management system in WP8, its the reason I returned my 8S because 4GB (which is actually 1.7GB after the OS and other software) was too small to allow me to use this smart phone as an actual smart phone because you can get like 10 apps on the phone. Now with the 620, 8GB should be good enough for most people, all videos, music and photos can go on the SD Card and that leaves 5GB for apps and the stupid cache.

I'm wondering if it happens to be the same 1300mah cell that powered the L710... If so, then it stands to reason that the Nokia 3BPL (I think that was its name) 1500mah battery would fit without modifications, as it did in the 710.

And I don't even have home internet, so there's no reason for me to turn WiFi on, and no reason not to pick up one of my own as a backup phone/media device! Or as my main phone and relegate my Ativ S to backup/weekend status so I don't wreck it at work...(2nd paragraph in response to dootndo2)

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if it happens to be the same 1300mah cell that powered the L710... If so, then it stands to reason that the Nokia 3BPL (I think that was its name) 1500mah battery would fit without modifications, as it did in the 710.

Not sure if it fits though because the Lumia 620 is powered by a BL-4J battery while the Lumia 710 is powered by BP-3L battery. They're both different I think...

Have any of you guys heard of the multi touch issue with the Lumia 620 before? It's quite common here in Malaysia and my phone has been struck with this issue last night, but it only happens for a while and then it's back to normal. Strange... :straight:

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
[...]

Have any of you guys heard of the multi touch issue with the Lumia 620 before? It's quite common here in Malaysia and my phone has been struck with this issue last night, but it only happens for a while and then it's back to normal. Strange... :straight:

Yes I've heard of it before, but I read somewhere it's a common problem, so you should get it fixed for free

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes I've heard of it before, but I read somewhere it's a common problem, so you should get it fixed for free

Yeah. It happened twice today but for a very short period of time. I lock and unlock the phone, it gets back to normal. If it happens again like last night, I will consider getting it fixed because I don't have a spare phone at the moment.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you try to call nokia care?it's a know issue(and included in warranty)?

Yet to call Nokia Care though, but many have sent their phones and they Nokia themselves claimed that it's a common issue and will be replaced under warranty. I'll send mine for repair once the same thing like last night happen again. So far for today, it happened twice but for a couple of minutes. Lock and unlock the phone, it's back to normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)