Lumia 620 - Battery query

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
i am running OS version 8.0.10211.204

the pattern that you mentioned is not a one of thing...

see

wp_ss_20130604_0001.png

wp_ss_20130604_0002.jpg

wp_ss_20130604_0003.png

this last one is todays when i switched off the net

wp_ss_20130605_0001.png

what is the battery back up that i should expect..

also.. will updating the os solve the purpose...?? is a new firmware out as yet???

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 620 for about a month now in the U.S. when i first got, i wanted to leave my phone idle while i slept to see the battery drain. ON my 920, i could leave my phone all night off charger and probably for over 10 hours and it will still be 100%.

So the first couple times, the battery would drain to the low 90s when i first got. I tried it last night and after 8 hours, my battery remained at 100%. So no idle drain and with the same set-up i have with my 920.

So if your battery is draining without any usage, probably an issue especially if your internet is off. The best way is to put it i airplane mode and see if it drains.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i am running OS version 8.0.10211.204

the pattern that you mentioned is not a one of thing...

see...

what is the battery back up that i should expect..

also.. will updating the os solve the purpose...?? is a new firmware out as yet???

These looks like the same screenshots you posted previously. Please REMOVE WhatsApp and see how your battery life is then.

Updating OS will probably not solve your issue, your issue is much more likely app related. Please REMOVE WhatsApp and see how your battery life is then.

You should expect a full day or more of use from your phone with moderate use, depending on the cell signal strength. Please REMOVE WhatsApp and see how your battery life is then.

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for the replies/.. will be taking it to Nokia Care Center and get it checked and if the prob persists will get the cell replaced from the shop itself...!!!

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
hi visited the Nokia Care Center here in India... and they said that with net on 6 -7 hours is what one gets in Lumia 620 (i was so shocked at this.. given that you people have been getting better backups with your devices) though he said we will update the software and then the battey will improve.. so here i am... back with updated cell.. will not install whatsapp this time... lets see hot it goes... thanks for your support..OzROb and DKP23..!!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
hi visited the Nokia Care Center here in India... and they said that with net on 6 -7 hours is what one gets in Lumia 620 (i was so shocked at this.. given that you people have been getting better backups with your devices) though he said we will update the software and then the battey will improve.. so here i am... back with updated cell.. will not install whatsapp this time... lets see hot it goes... thanks for your support..OzROb and DKP23..!!

I dont think so, 6-7 hours is not accurate. I can get double that pretty easily as long as i am not surfing the web and stuck to calling and texting. I dont have whatsapp, i know it is a battery drain. I take the phone offer charger at 730 every morning for work and by the time i go to sleep at around 11pm or 12am, i will have 10-20% left. Here are my usage and settings:

3 apps running in background - weather, battery, and lock screen

bluetooth on all day, i never turn it off even if i dont use. i use bluetooh music for about 30-45 min in morning for drive and about 50min on the drive home so close to 2 hours of music over bluetooh in my car

I have three emails, 2 pushing right away and one updates every 30 minutes. I have my work email so i can get 50-100 emails a day

I average around 1000 text per month so that averages out about 33 a day, some lower some higher.

I surf about an hour at lunch and then randomly throughout the day, i try to limit this because it is such a drain, but probably close to two hours a day

very limited calling, i probably average less than 10 min a week in calls. I just text or email

i dont play games on my phone.

My set-up can get me 14-16 hours. Based on what you said, the type of drain you are seeing is not right. I have a 920, i've gone through 4 of them, batter would only lst 6 hours or so, i had nokia swap it out and finally got one that worked well.

I'd go back to nokia care, dont accept what they tell you about 6-7 hours, that is bullsh1t, no phone should die that fast unless you are a super heavy user which is seems you are not. Less details the better, the more you tell them, the more chances they come up with a b.s reason to not help. Say your battery drains, even if dont use. They wll ask you to trouble shoot, just say you trouble shooted and nothing worked. Very simple precise and they should help you. The key thing is saying your battery is draining without you doing anything.

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok So here is the deal... i went yest... and as ozROB mentioned.. did not install Whatsapp... and i got arnd 15hrs and 27 mins of battery....

wp_ss_20130607_0001.jpg

further....

came across this... We put the Nokia Lumia 620 battery life under inspection, boasts class-leading call times - GSMArena Blog

and when you mentioned more of calls and texts this gsmarena site explains why it fares so badly when we put whatsapp cause that drains the battery..

so is it that officially this cell is not ment for heavy net users but does well for other stuff such as mail+call( most imp) n little bit of surfing??? by which i am asking now after the reinstalling of software (and deleting whatsapp) IS my battery normal..?? or do i need to replace it????

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
by which i am asking now after the reinstalling of software (and deleting whatsapp) IS my battery normal..?? or do i need to replace it????

It's really not possible to give a definitive answer to that question. "Normal" battery life is very dependent on exactly how you use your phone, and to some extent where you use it. If you are always prodding the phone and checking stuff, meaning the screen is lit up all the time, then you will use far more battery power than someone who only unlocks the phone every so often - powering the screen is probably the primary user of battery power.

Battery life is also dependent on "where" because the signal strength you get (particularly on 3G) determines how hard the radios need to work in order to stay connected to the network. In marginal signal areas your phone will use more power just to keep in touch with the cell base station. This can have a huge effect on battery life over the course of a day.

Reviews of the 620 I've read have indicated that the phone is not very efficient when pulling data over the 3G connection, so lots of web browsing does tend to kill the battery. So if you're doing a lot of that, you'll get less life out of the battery than someone who doesn't.

So really, only you know what your usage pattern is and therefore only you can really answer the question in your post.

If you want to really test whether there's a problem with the phone or battery, charge it fully, turn off 3G (set the maximum data speed to 2G), disable the Facebook app (for the same reason you don't use Whatsapp), and only have essential apps allowed to run in the background. Then, over a few days, just use the phone to make a few calls, send some text messages, check and answer any emails that come in, and maybe listen to a few songs - and NOT MUCH ELSE. Don't keep checking the battery - each time you do the screen lights up and uses power - and don't keep prodding the phone awake every few minutes just to see if there's some new notification. If you do all that you should easily get more than one day (24 hours +) out of a battery charge. If you're still getting less than a day, then there may well be something wrong with the battery or phone.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok So here is the deal... i went yest... and as ozROB mentioned.. did not install Whatsapp... and i got arnd 15hrs and 27 mins of battery....

View attachment 35363

further....

came across this... We put the Nokia Lumia 620 battery life under inspection, boasts class-leading call times - GSMArena Blog

and when you mentioned more of calls and texts this gsmarena site explains why it fares so badly when we put whatsapp cause that drains the battery..

so is it that officially this cell is not ment for heavy net users but does well for other stuff such as mail+call( most imp) n little bit of surfing??? by which i am asking now after the reinstalling of software (and deleting whatsapp) IS my battery normal..?? or do i need to replace it????

So your battery improved after whatsapp is gone?

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes... it improved..if i had not beeen on IE it would have easily given me over 24 hours... i noticed two things..\

A. The cell mattery charges very fast ( i have not taken more than 1hr 15mins EVER to get it charged even from when it got fully discharged so much so that it got turned off)

B. if you see my prev snapshots all the severe drops ( at 2300 hrs above and at 3 am and at 20% levels are when i was browsing or using the net in any sense.. (and as i had mentioned above.. We put the Nokia Lumia 620 battery life under inspection, boasts class-leading call times - GSMArena Blog)

i think the cell is not for heavy net users... one would need tto charge midday... but if one is primarily calling/texting it will last over a day for sure.. OzROb can concur with me... if one uses the net battery falls like rock in clear water.... when i switch data packet off it shows me .. 2 days remaining to 5 days remaining depending on my charging level...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes... it improved..if i had not beeen on IE it would have easily given me over 24 hours... i noticed two things..\

A. The cell mattery charges very fast ( i have not taken more than 1hr 15mins EVER to get it charged even from when it got fully discharged so much so that it got turned off)

B. if you see my prev snapshots all the severe drops ( at 2300 hrs above and at 3 am and at 20% levels are when i was browsing or using the net in any sense.. (and as i had mentioned above.. We put the Nokia Lumia 620 battery life under inspection, boasts class-leading call times - GSMArena Blog)

i think the cell is not for heavy net users... one would need tto charge midday... but if one is primarily calling/texting it will last over a day for sure.. OzROb can concur with me... if one uses the net battery falls like rock in clear water.... when i switch data packet off it shows me .. 2 days remaining to 5 days remaining depending on my charging level...

Same with me, it takes about an hour to get 100%. a couple days ago, i had it at 4% and when i looked at it around an hour later, it was 100%.

Internet is a drainer, in the one hour i go on internet at lunch, it can drop easily by 30%.

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
So i guess we both experience it...( i guess thats wayy faster than any other smartphone) here look at some more reviews from gsmarena user blog (everyone facing the same issue with internet)

sometimes i wonder do android users (in same price range ) experience battery issues.. m sure no one can beat it when it comes to speed and feel of it... till now (after about 1 week of use) battery is the only thing that makes me feel bad about going for L620.. apart from this its a perfect cell...

Nokia Lumia 620 - User opinions and reviews

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Off late have been experiencing very erratic battery timings.... two days two similar usage...

wp_ss_20130608_0002.jpg

brilliant with over 20 hrs of back up with decent net usage...charged at night went on till next day..evening

and other day (yesterday night) did same and when i woke up it was off
wp_ss_20130609_0001.jpg

FYI: had installed whatsapp to see the difference with and without it.. both days had it up and running to see...

will be going for cell replacement since its wayyy tooo erratic

Saurabh Vatsa

May 19, 2013
Visit site
wp_ss_20130609_0004.png

Mine lasts for more than 24 hrs.... :)
phone is connected to wifi almost all day.... Whatsapp installed......
i usually put my phone to flight mode at night as i hardly sleep walk with my phone.. :p :D
else normal using with normal apps install, apps access , a bit of browsing, 1 hr of music , some calls... usually do every stuff on whatsapp... :) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6