O2 Lumia 620 debranding possible?

misterleoni

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, this is my first foray into Windows Phone tweaking so if this is a stupid question please go easy on me.

I picked up a Lumia 620 yesterday for the bargain price of ?119.99 plus topup. I'm not an O2 user as such, though I do have a contract SIM that I'm going to be getting the phone unlocked with over the coming days. I hate network customisations though, no matter how subtle and I really want to get rid of that O2 splash screen by flashing a 'stock' ROM. I've looked on Navfirm as per the advice of a friend but there is a baffling array of firmwares on there. I can see mine (RM-846 VAR EU EURO1 GB O2 SL (059R663)) but can't see an obvious UK SIM free ROM to flash.

Does such a thing exist? My internet is criminally slow so I don't want to download the wrong one and have to start all over again, and also I obviously don't want to brick my phone irreparably.

As it stands, I have Nokia Care Suite, Navifirm+, all the relevant drivers and a headache.

Can anyone help, or am I wasting my time at the moment?

Many thanks in advance

kevinp93

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I too have the Lumia 620 on O2 (got one when price was ?120 :wink:) and was wondering the same thing...

Has anyone had luck with debranding it as per instructions above?

Thanks

misterleoni

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I too have the Lumia 620 on O2 (got one when price was ?120 :wink:) and was wondering the same thing...

Has anyone had luck with debranding it as per instructions above?

Thanks

I managed to find the generic UK firmware through Navifirm+ it also has the O2 firmware on there. Now running O2 free firmware :)

John Bourne

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the 620 on the one day O2 deal and have got O2 to unlock the device so tried de branding it with generic firmware.

I downloaded the Nokia Care Suite and flashed the generic firmware which put it to stock but it mentioned something about the product code not being specified however it all worked fine but unsure how it would effect software updates in the future.

The product code is 059R788 which looking at the firmware matches the O2 branded one so will future updates still have to wait for O2 if they are based on product codes? I see the SIM free model and firmware has a product code of 059R4G7.

For now I have flashed it back to the O2 firmware using the Nokia Care Suite as there are not any updates available to check.

kevinp93

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the 620 on the one day O2 deal and have got O2 to unlock the device so tried de branding it with generic firmware.

I downloaded the Nokia Care Suite and flashed the generic firmware which put it to stock but it mentioned something about the product code not being specified however it all worked fine but unsure how it would effect software updates in the future.

The product code is 059R788 which looking at the firmware matches the O2 branded one so will future updates still have to wait for O2 if they are based on product codes? I see the SIM free model and firmware has a product code of 059R4G7.

For now I have flashed it back to the O2 firmware using the Nokia Care Suite as there are not any updates available to check.

I read somewhere that "debranding" your handset will re-lock the device... Is your 620 still unlocked, even after flashing it with a different firmware? :) Thanks

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not planning on re-flashing mine because of the problems that can be had with MMS and Internet settings. At least with the O2 firmware I know these are all set-up nicely and can be restored by resetting. The only difference seems to be the first boot screen anyway.

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that I bought a 620 on the O2 PAYG (for ?120), then unlocked using my wife's pay monthly details (via chat with O2) and now it's de-branded using the '059R4G7 - RM_846_CV_GB_VAR266989_v2_confml_Default' firmware and the phone remained 100% unlocked - I'm now using my work Vodafone SIM.

I believe you have to use a specific version of the 'Nokia Care Suite' for the firmware flash currently - '2012.45.4.5'.

I hope that helps!

John Bourne

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It will be interesting to know if the product codes not matching between the firmware and the device effects future updates OTA.

I did flash mine and then flashed it back to the matching O2 version just in case as there was no new updates available to test.

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that I bought a 620 on the O2 PAYG (for ?120), then unlocked using my wife's pay monthly details (via chat with O2) and now it's de-branded using the '059R4G7 - RM_846_CV_GB_VAR266989_v2_confml_Default' firmware and the phone remained 100% unlocked - I'm now using my work Vodafone SIM.

I believe you have to use a specific version of the 'Nokia Care Suite' for the firmware flash currently - '2012.45.4.5'.

I hope that helps!

Hi, I was wondering if you could explain how to do this? I want to unlock my phone too, but I will need to use a friend's details as I don't have an O2 contract.

scruffty

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello
noticed that my flashed Nokia 620 is not updating itself to the latest version using phone update...anyone else got this?
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb