The 620 is the new flagship

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Good article. I think there is so much fuss over high end specs that people forget that price is probably the most important spec of all for the average consumer.

On most articles I see about the 620 I see people who want to pick one up, even iOS and Android users wanting one just to try out WP. Nokia has a quiet hit on their hands I think.

Nokia needs to get devices like these out to as many markets and carriers as they can. The problem at the moment seems to be supply issues because a lot of people tend to say they can't find them or they're not available in their area.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I agree with him regarding the 920. But I would love to see the 620 hit over here, I think it would do well. As mentioned before, it could have a nice market in the pay as you go crowd. Or as they mention, people just wanting a cheaper smartphone with most of the functions you need. Would probably sell better on T mobile, Metro PCS type carriers. Maybe someone will wake up.

ExpatinTurkey

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
A very good article, Nokia IMHO has a winner on it's hand with the pricing of the 620. Here in Turkey the price of mobiles is very expensive, they all come unlocked, and there isn't any contracts which makes this phone very attractive. I was looking for my first smartphone when the 920 and 820 hit the stores here over a month ago, but the price I found a little to heavy for me. The Galaxy S3 and Iphone 5 are out here, and the advertising is everywhere pushing them, but they are very expensive, the Iphone 5 being the most expensive. Early last week the 820 was released here in Turkey, and after reading the reviews on various sites, CNET, etc, I took an interest in it. The features in this phone at the price make it very attractive, especially for 1st time smartphone buyers like me. I purchased one, and am finding it does everything I want and expected of it very well. With a large, young audience in the cities here, the price makes it attractive as mobile internet plans are very reasonably priced. I also have noticed that Turkcell, the largest mobile carrier here is starting to push it hard, using it's price as it's selling feature. Avea and Vodafone have yet to start pushing it, but they are no where as big as Turkcell. Nokia is also pushing hard advertising it on tv here as well. The phone is getting a lot of interest here in the stores because of it's pricing. The 920 and 820 aren't being as pushed hard now to sell, it's like the Galaxay S3 and Iphone 4 and 5, if someone wants it, they will sell it, for a hefty price. The 620 I think has a real chance of raising the prominence and sales of Nokia here, especially once the younger generation has a chance to see and try WP8.

anon(5354967)

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
An interesting read. A lot of people seem to forget that the Nokia Lumia 610 and 710 made up 40% of Windows Phones prior to WP8. In order for WP to be a success it needs to target the entry level smartphone market. I've seen a lot of people bag Huawei for being a cheap and crappy smartphone company. However, I've seen many Huawei smartphones in the wild, and in the last couple of years, only one Windows Phone. One. Nokia should not be going after the high end market. They should be marketing the crap out of Lumia 620 everywhere around the world, because it, not the 920, is the path to success.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I like this article because it is generally positive and fair to WP, but I completely disagree that Nokia should abandon the high end market. They need to target both. And remember, tomorrow's low end phone is made with today's high end technology... Nokia's high end experience is part of what allows them to make great low end phones.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the title, but not the concept. It's not that Nokia needs to rethink what to tout as its flagship. It's that the MARKET needs to rethink what a flagship is. In third-world markets, people don't want to drop $500+ on a high-end device (nor can they afford to). The common user in first-world markets ALSO doesn't make use of the high-end features on a device, namely high-clocked SoCs. When you're just browsing the web and using maps like this guy suggested, you don't need an HD display.

I don't think AT ALL that Nokia should change its strategy. If they did, it would kind of kill Windows Phone, seeing as the U.S. is a market where high-end devices are VERY popular and people will pay the premium. You could consider making a bigger marketing push for the 620-level devices (and bringing them to market much faster), but to suggest that THOSE are flagship devices is silly.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think its the most exciting WP to date... its selling for about $300 unlocked on ebay and it just came out.. it should go down to 230-250 in 2-3 months time.

Looks good, performs well, built well.. priced right.. well done Nokia :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I agree with him regarding the 920. But I would love to see the 620 hit over here, I think it would do well. As mentioned before, it could have a nice market in the pay as you go crowd. Or as they mention, people just wanting a cheaper smartphone with most of the functions you need. Would probably sell better on T mobile, Metro PCS type carriers. Maybe someone will wake up.
I agree. I wouldn't want the 620, but I get high end devices subsidized via contract, rather than pay full retail for cheaper devices.

I could see this device being popular if sold unlocked with no contract.

Vasiliy Kozlov

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
920 or other top smartphone too different with 620. Its like a two different phones in all. They are perceived quite differently. For exapmle take android. low or mid range phone can repel all desire to use them. So, 620 can greatly disappoint those who have decided to try for the first time. The reason is not in the price, the reason wp8 and the availability of the seller. 2.4% on market in q4 2012 - it`s fantastical poor. I do not understand admiration 620. below the average screen with plastic surface, battery, sound quality, not such smooth interface, no apps and more. Colored body - bait. More there is nothing there.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not to sound snobbish but can someone tell me what is so special about the 620....as a Lumia 920 owner I am not seeing what is spectacular about the phone. Like it is always heralded on a few forums I visit and even wpcentral are big fans of it.

I'm wondering why exactly.

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Because 620 will sell like hot cakes in 3rd world countries which may create noise about WP8. Also for the new comers that want to try the experience of having WP8, its almost the same experience that you will feel with the 820/920 it doesn't suffer from lag and you can trow any apps from 620. Except those premium that offered in 920/820 ex. super sensitive touch/ pureview etc.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Not to sound snobbish but can someone tell me what is so special about the 620....as a Lumia 920 owner I am not seeing what is spectacular about the phone. Like it is always heralded on a few forums I visit and even wpcentral are big fans of it.

Nothing so special, other than the price unlocked. With that kind of pricing, it only gets more people on W8 which means more programs (not apps!!) from more developers. Plus, it's a smooth entrly level smartphone and not some garbage half-baked android device that makes you want to pull your hair out as soon as you power it on the first time.

Hardware wise, of course it can't compete with the 920. But against low to mid-range devices, it stands out plus having a really cool design. If those plastic cases are easily swapped, it's like the Nokia of old when you can accessorize your phone with whatever custom shell is made for it.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I would also point out that many of us believe that smaller screens are nice... There are no other WP8 small screen options, and this one is nice and cheap... you can almost justify it as a smaller phone for occasional.use when portability is more important.

Predrag Jeremic

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

The 620 is important to Nokia in the first place. It is not important to US and West European markets but it is for the rest of the world where most phones are available only unlocked or with very little subsidies. Most people in the west use 2 year ocntracts to buy flagships for less than 200 USD. That is a far fetched dream for the rest of the world. For example in 2010 I bought the HTC HD2, the beast of its time, and on the most expensive 2 year contract with 50 USD/mo charge I had to spit out to operator additional 400 USD for the device (with subsidies). Now, if you consider that the 620 is 50% of the 920 price in every single region outside of the US and WE, you get the idea that you are getting twice as less. With the 620 its just not the case and THAT IS WHY it is so important. As I own the 620 for a couple of weeks I can say I am more than satisfied! Here is why:
1.The phone is smooth and fast (very unorthodox for a cheap device, on Android you get lag and then glitches and then some more lag until you start day dreaming about 2 more cores and 1 more gig of ram to ease the pain)
2.There is a ton of quality apps - I was surprised with the quality of Nokia apps in the first place, and the market is also filled with a lot of really useful programs! I now have more of them installed on my 620 than I ever did on my android phone
3.It has a super sensitive screen so it can be used with gloves/pens/nose/ears you name it, it will work :)
4. It has a very, very bright screen ideal for outdoor use, even at direct sunlight
5. Did I mention fast? :)
6. The camera is good. Not great but good. Again, much better than the competition at this price point
7. With color shells it looks fun and it feels fresh every time you change it
8. The last one is more of a personal preference: bloody ****, its connected to wifi in a second. BAAAAM, its connected. Never saw a wifi handshake so fast, not on my pc, on any phone, anywhere. I switch a lot between 3G and wifi and for me this is important.

Now, for the first time you are getting the same user experience from a superphone for a fraction of its cost. That is why it is so important because this whole package was never available on a budget phone....

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing too special with the Lumia 620. What makes it so good is that it has almost everything for a very, very affordable price and I can't complain. My experience with my Lumia 620 has been excellent so far, perhaps the only drawbacks is the 1300mah battery pack though I manage to get it in between 15-24 hours every single day so I take that as not so bad. I've seen and heard people bash about this phone and all but then, it's called a budget phone so why the fuss? You don't like it, there's a Lumia 720 and even 820 or perhaps the 920 if you can afford it. I wouldn't call the Lumia 620 as a flagship device for Nokia, but it surely is an important device for Nokia.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was looking into getting myself a low or mid-end smartphone, so I took a look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, and was befuddled as to how or why anyone would buy that instead of a Lumia 620 for $25 more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos