Lumia 620 outperforms the Lumia 920!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Did you watch the video? The 920 outperforms the 620 in every discipline except two: boot time and WiFi handshake.

Ignoring that the test couldn't be any less scientific, it does at least show how little impact a higher CPU clock rate has when using normal apps. The 620 is clocked at 1GHz, while the 920 is clocked 50% higher at 1.5GHz, yet the performance difference is often barely noticeable. The performance difference is most noticeable in 3rd party apps which execute within the .NET runtime. Those apps are obviously somewhat "heavier" than the 1st party native apps. For the later, the performance difference due to the higher clock rate is practically non existent.

Also, the only perceivable difference is in application load times. Once the app is loaded there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
it does at least show how little impact a higher CPU clock rate has when using normal apps. The 620 is clocked at 1GHz, while the 920 is clocked 50% higher at 1.5GHz, yet the performance difference is often barely noticeable.

This only is true with WP8. Being a former Android user (OG Galaxy S), ny phone was super laggy, clocked at 1GHz and single-core. Now look at the SGS3; dual-core, 1.4GHz, and there is a noticeable difference in performance. Makes me proud to be a WP user 👍

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What do you people make of this (Lumia 620 holding the top six sales positions for cellphones in the U.S. at expansys. Colours cyan, green, black, white, yellow, pink)

Out of the top 10 positions 7 are Nokia Lumia's?

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Its a really impressive phone, honestly I would've definitely thought of buying this had I not seen a deal for the 8X for 250$ on kijiji (same price as 620 now new in store). I am thankful but damn are they good phones those Nokia Lumias!

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think this is the phone to get this generation of wp8. I don't think the 920 or 8x had what it took to lock horns with ip5 or sg3 in terms of ecosystems and hardware problems, but you get a lot in this package for $250. I may pick this up to dip my toes into WP until the higher end versions work out their growing pains on next generation's flagships

jmadia

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I got a Lumia 620 because of the delays in the availability of 920 in my country and to be honest, I kinda expected to be disappointed. I was wrong though, it's definitely fast and smooth than comparable phones of the same specs.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
What he was really testing is how fast an app loads from flash storage to memory. The CPU difference between the phones won't make much difference here.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What he was really testing is how fast an app loads from flash storage to memory. The CPU difference between the phones won't make much difference here.

So you think the 920 loads apps that much faster from flash storage to memory? I doubt it. Both devices will encounter the exact same bottleneck, the speed of their flash storage chips, which will be similarly (more likely identically) sluggish. For both devices, neither CPU clock nor memory clock will have much (if any) impact on memory load times... at least no impact a human could possibly perceive.

Since this was a "fly by the seat of your pants" type of test it is impossible to say, but I think the only thing making any difference here is how fast the CPU can initialize each app's .NET runtime environment and execute each app's start-up sequence. That would also explain why 1st party apps, which run natively without the .NET runtime environment, start instantly while the others do not.

Last edited:

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The performance doesn't really differ much or drastically but it's noticeable. The 620 is fast, but can't deny the 920 is faster in many more areas. But since you get something about the same for half the price tag, what to complain anyway? Haha! But once you hold the 920, the double price really mean it ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise