Lumia 620 display brightness fluctuating

d3lueCs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

a friend of mine bought a Nokia Lumia 620. Everything is fine except the brightness of the display, due to its fluctuation when set to automatic. Because of this behavior we send the, in our opinion broken, unit back to store, but nevertheless the second Lumia 620 shows the exact same behavior. It is really annoying and it happens anytime and anywhere even if nothing in the room is changed regarding to illumination.

So is this behavior by "design" or was my friend in bad luck and got two broken units in a row?

Take care
Jan

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, the proximity sensor is quite sensitive and that is why probably the brightness changes all the time. That is what i have noticed. If you pay attention to it, the sensor is between the front face camera and the speaker. You can test it yourself by tilting the phone or covering it and you will see that indeed the proximity sensor is very sensitive.

d3lueCs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. That the sensor is very sensitive was also my first thought, but even in an high illuminated room or in sunlight the brightness switches to the lowest level sometimes. In this case the screen is hardly readable. The other way round is also happening, low ambient light but highest possible display brightness. I can't imagine this behavior is wanted by Nokia.

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
If you go to the settings and select the display+touch option you can change somethings about the screen. There is even an option about sunlight readability. You may change that and see how it works.

d3lueCs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes I saw this too and we checked it, but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. As far as I know this option is only a brightness "boost" in direct sunlight. Maybe the brightness sensor is too sensitive in general and Nokia will fix this sometime in the future, nonetheless as it is now it seems to me pretty randomly.

leonkehoe

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I too noticed this and subsequently turned off automatic brightness adjustment. I now use 'low' brightness and find it bright enough during the day, night, and everything in between. I have the sunlight reading setting enabled but haven't seen any evidence that it actually works, ie screen brightness has yet to increase while in direct sunlight.

d3lueCs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Alright so this seems to be a general issue. Turning off automatic brightness adjustment is a workaround, but it really should be fixed by Nokia.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the sunlight reading setting enabled but haven't seen any evidence that it actually works, ie screen brightness has yet to increase while in direct sunlight.

Since I live in Malaysia where heavy sunlight is pretty much everyday, I can confirm that it actually works. However, under real heavy sunlight, like using my phone at 12 noon only then it's barely visible.

lzandman

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Lumia 620 also has a heavily fluctuating display brightness. Very irritating. I remember one of my other Lumia's (900 or 920) also showing this behavior, but that got fixed with a firmware update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb