Lumia 620 Shrink Storage App - HOW TO - [Tried and Tested with Lumia 620]

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the App " Shrink Storage ", and I really recommend the app for L620 users to use this one.
The app is surely what it is advertise. Well, it works for me, and Just tested it by not FOLLOWING the instructions given by the Developer.

The instruction said that you have to RESET the phone in order to work, but I BYPASS this step and it works like Charm.

Other Storage before using Shrink Storage : 1.97GB
Other Storage after using Shrink Storage : 600MB

Here's how I do it, for the sake of those who can't let it work. (Please try this, It really works for me)

1.) Run the application
2.) Press the Fill Phone Storage and wait for a several Minutes. (this fills your other storage, I don't know why but it does)
3.) When prompted something, Actual Size Allocated : **GB/MB
4.) Press the Clean Phone Storage. ( Do not Restart the phone , let's bypass it )

If you didn't receive a message like , PHONE MEMORY IS NOT ENOUGH, then Run the application again and do the steps, because it can still FREE UP the Other Storage

1.) Received the prompt, PHONE MEMORY IS NOT ENOUGH BLA BLA..
2.) Close the prompt, by pressing CLOSE instead of SETTINGS.
3.) Go to the application
4.) Press the Clean Phone Storage.

And check your OTHER STORAGE.

TIP : Always wait for the PHONE MEMORY IS NOT ENOUGH Message, usually takes 2 -3 Times to make this prompt. ( Sometimes it takes several minutes to make this phone memory is not enough message, so just be patience enough)

Last edited:

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the App " Shrink Storage ", and I really recommend the app for L620 users to use this one.
The app is surely what it is advertise. Well, it works for me, and Just tested it by not FOLLOWING the instructions given by the Developer.

The instruction said that you have to RESET the phone in order to work, but I BYPASS this step and it works like Charm.

Here's how I do it, for the sake of those who can't let it work. (Please try this, It really works for me)

1.) Run the application
2.) Press the Fill Phone Storage and wait for a several Minutes. (this fills your other storage, I don't know why but it does)
4.) Press the Clean Phone Storage. ( Do not Restart the phone , let's bypass it )

If you didn't receive a message like , PHONE MEMORY IS NOT ENOUGH, then Run the application again and do the steps, because it can still FREE UP the Other Storage

TIP : Always wait for the PHONE MEMORY IS NOT ENOUGH Message, usually takes 2 -3 Times to make this prompt. ( Sometimes it takes several minutes to make this phone memory is not enough message, so just be patience enough)

I've done this before and it does actually work, but I think I know why the dev says to do this. It's cuz when that message pops up, random parts of your other storage gets removed, like it really is random. So it can be a MB sometimes or 100. So in order to be more effective, why not have the message pop up twice by shutting down the phone and turning it back on (once when you fill, and once when you turn back the phone on). So it's more effective, but this is what I think.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh and I forgot about people with really low storage. This message won't pop up for them when shrink storage fills up. They would have to restart the phone for it to pop-up :) but your advice does work of course!

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh and I forgot about people with really low storage. This message won't pop up for them when shrink storage fills up. They would have to restart the phone for it to pop-up :) but your advice does work of course!

Thank you so much for that feedback :) Well, if no message have pop-out, just try and try until you get it, or if you have tried it 3-5 Times and no Pop up, you are always free to Restart your phone :)

Thank you.

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia820 has 1 GB other, tried (couple of times) it but it is not going below 1GB.

If you have many apps installed, your other folders will be high too. What is the total use of your application and games installed? And did you follow the steps provided above? :) Make sure to get the message prompt , PHONE MEMORY FULL / IS NOT ENOUGH BLA BLA, to free more of the memory.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have only 700mb on other but i am gonna test it right now to see if it can lower that amount and post back!
Thanks for the nice tutorial.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I got the memory alert on the 1st try, i went from 700mb on other to 630mb. So i can confirm its working (tested on lumia 620).

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

1.) Run the application

I have 4.6 GB as other storage. Filled it up as per instructions. Said that phone memory is not enough, delete some apps and stuff. Closed that. Then it said actual size allocated 6.27 GB. Did not restart. Hit on clean storage. Didn't do a thing. Missing something here?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am not seeing any reduction in Other storage after getting the popup in first attempt(1.54GB occupied, and then release) but there is nothing happening..

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have 4.6 GB as other storage. Filled it up as per instructions. Said that phone memory is not enough, delete some apps and stuff. Closed that. Then it said actual size allocated 6.27 GB. Did not restart. Hit on clean storage. Didn't do a thing. Missing something here?

I am not seeing any reduction in Other storage after getting the popup in first attempt(1.54GB occupied, and then release) but there is nothing happening..

What are your current Model? L620? If nothing seems to happen, try resetting the phone , then do the instructions again. But first try to do the Steps again, with the prompt message and if nothing happens, Reset the phone and do the steps again.

Check if something happens :) And please do feedback again if something does happen :)

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Just restarted the phone and tried it again. It's just filling up the free space 1.54GB and then clearing that(back to 1.54GB free space). so there is no effect on "Other" storage :(. Yes it's a Lumia 620.

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What are your current Model? L620? If nothing seems to happen, try resetting the phone , then do the instructions again. But first try to do the Steps again, with the prompt message and if nothing happens, Reset the phone and do the steps again.

Check if something happens :) And please do feedback again if something does happen :)

I am on a 920. Will try it out again and revert back.

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just restarted the phone and tried it again. It's just filling up the free space 1.54GB and then clearing that(back to 1.54GB free space). so there is no effect on "Other" storage :(. Yes it's a Lumia 620.

I'm guessing you have lots of applications/games installed on your phone right? And You have lots of Emails/Accounts being synchronized in your phone. And after trying it again, did you received the Phone Memory full prompt message? because What I did was, I fill the phone and cleared it again twice, until I got the Phone Memory Full prompt and it did the work right after I close the prompt and cleared the phone storage.

Anyway, if you have lots of applications/games installed, it might be the reason its stuck in 1.54GB :) Because I think the Games Specifically are saving the games progress in the Other folders.

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
It worked.. 1.51gb down to 1.45gb, after run the Application twice, First time run this app my other was 1.46gb, second time down to 1.45gb...

Apps installed= 3.2gb

Good tips...thanks

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
From my experience on a 920, these type of apps do nothing more than the Clear Temporary Files that is found on the Nokia Storage Checker.

I have run this app and similar apps on my 920 and basically nothing is removed. I still have over 4 gb in other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)