Is it safe to update firmware using Nokia Software Updater for Retail?

Ashish B

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
NL620_UPDATE.png

I just installed Nokia Software Updater for Retail (version 3.0.8) and it shows that there is an update available for my Lumia 620.

I notice that it is a very minor update, however I'm not sure. Should I go ahead and install the update? Are Windows Phone 8 updates cumulative? GDR2 will be available next month anyway, so should I wait for GDR2?

I have one more question: Is it safe to update firmware using Nokia Software Updater for Retail? And if I don't backup my phone and after the new firmware is installed I then sign in with my Microsoft Account, will I at least get all my contacts and purchased apps? I'm only worried about contacts and purchased apps. I'm not all worried about settings etc.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Updates are cumulative so if you decide to wait for GDR2/Amber you will get all other updates that have been released so far. Updating using that software should be okay but it will wipe user data from the phone. Restoring your contacts and paid apps shouldn't be a problem once you've signed in with your MS account. Your contacts should automatically be restored to the phone and any paid applications can be re-downloaded without having to pay for them again. Just tap "Buy" and you will be taken straight to the install screen, by passing the purchase confirmation screen.

Have you tried updating over the air by looking in Settings > Phone updates > Check for updates? This method of updating will not erase any user data.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
NSU shows an update available for my 521, but the version is exactly the same as what's already installed.

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
NSU shows an update available for my 521, but the version is exactly the same as what's already installed.
It's the same you have.If you install it will be like hard resetting your phone.It will be like out of the box state when you first purchase the phone but with the current software you have..

jayantd13

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Go to Nokia Care Center. They will update your phone for you. My friend has 620 and he updated his phone from Nokia Care service center.
I am from INDIA not sure for other countires.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
To the guys who had .002 firmware preloaded,what is your hardware revision number?Mine is 1.0.0.0. Just want to make sure before flashing my phone......

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Somebody plz guide me on how to flash gdr2 on 620 via Nokia Software Updater for retail.......i have downloaded the firmware...what will happen if i flash,how long will it take,etc... Thanks

yentenebcc_1

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, yesterday I also download NSU 4.1.0. Everything goes well and installed all feature of amber but after installing amber, my 3G stop functioning. Only 2g function well. Either u change speed in 2g or 3G, signal show E only, which is 2g and very slow network.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, yesterday I also download NSU 4.1.0. Everything goes well and installed all feature of amber but after installing amber, my 3G stop functioning. Only 2g function well. Either u change speed in 2g or 3G, signal show E only, which is 2g and very slow network.

What exact version of Windows Phone 8 did you install? It sounds like you have installed a version that isn't compatible with your particular handset. Which could explain why you are not getting proper 3G.
If you can you should flash back to the correct Firmware for your device and then wait for the official GDR2/Amber to be released.
Actually, come to think about it, Microsoft have made GDR3 available as a preview for developers. However, if you do a search on the forum for GDR3 you will find instructions on how to get the update without having to be a developer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3