L620 or bust??

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok...so my girlfriends Sprint contract expires in one month. She has a 2 yo Motorola Photon 4g with Android 2.3...never received an update...surprised? Anyway. She is thinking about going the prepaid carrier route and wants to hop on Virgin Mobile(USA) Has anyone successfully brought a 620 to Virgin Mobile in the US? How bad is the battery on this phone. Is there a larger battery that fits?
I think she really prefers a Nokia as she has seen the last 2 that I owned and is impressed with their commitment to customers and the OS.
Suggestions?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok...so my girlfriends Sprint contract expires in one month. She has a 2 yo Motorola Photon 4g with Android 2.3...never received an update...surprised? Anyway. She is thinking about going the prepaid carrier route and wants to hop on Virgin Mobile(USA) Has anyone successfully brought a 620 to Virgin Mobile in the US? How bad is the battery on this phone. Is there a larger battery that fits?
I think she really prefers a Nokia as she has seen the last 2 that I owned and is impressed with their commitment to customers and the OS.
Suggestions?

Virgin Mobile USA is a CDMA carrier, thus the L620, a GSM phone, will not work on Virgin Mobile USA... I will recommend buying a L521 on T-mobile USA or even getting the new SIMPLE plans on T-mobile.. Also, AT&T now offers the L520 for $100 and GO-Phone plans from 35-65 dollars

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was certain the 620 was CDMA too?
Per Nokia: WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 21.1 Mbps
WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
I think the concern is that Tmobile doesn't really provide great coverage in New England and AT&T is more expensive than Virgin Mobile by about 15$ for comparable services. Though I would agree that the 520 is attractive at the $100 or less price point. I was trying to cover all the bases since she specifically asked about the 620. The $100 price on the 520 is only if bought through ATT and used as a Gophone...don't think she would like that...Any more suggestions?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I was certain the 620 was CDMA too?
Per Nokia: WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 21.1 Mbps
WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps
I think the concern is that Tmobile doesn't really provide great coverage in New England and AT&T is more expensive than Virgin Mobile by about 15$ for comparable services. Though I would agree that the 520 is attractive at the $100 or less price point. I was trying to cover all the bases since she specifically asked about the 620. The $100 price on the 520 is only if bought through ATT and used as a Gophone...don't think she would like that...Any more suggestions?

Gosh, you're right. I just looked here: Nokia Lumia 620 Specifications - Nokia

However, unless Virgin specifically tells you they'll activate the phone I would not buy it for use on Virgin. CDMA is different than GSM. Just because it's a CDMA phone doesn't mean it's automatically compatible or supported by the CDMA carrier.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it, at least not for use on Virgin. MetroPCS has the 521 now as well, but no Nokia WPs will be compatible with Virgin's network.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Virgin Mobile USA will not allow you to bring your own device, even if it is compatible. There are ways around that, it basically requires buying a cheap Virgin Mobile phone and changing the IMEI of the phone you want on the network to the IMEI of the cheap phone.

I know AIO has the L620 for $99, but they are still in limited areas (despite being owned by AT&T and using the AT&T network), otherwise they would likely be a solid option for your friend. AT&T would look to be the only real option for a Windows Phone if T-Mobile isn't good in your friend's area. As for GoPhone, their unlimited talk/text with 2 GB data plan is currently about the same as Virgin's "unlimited" (with 2.5 GB high speed data). While the GoPhone's unlimited price is technically $60/month compared to VM's $55, the $60 price includes sales tax, whereas the Virgin price is $55 + sales tax, so depending on sales tax Virgin might be $1 or 2 cheaper. Additionally, the GoPhone plan is going to have far better speeds and coverage than Virgin Mobile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss