OTA Amber Update Lumia 620 now Available!

littlejunkie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I got the message today that the update is ready to download. But I need a wifi connection for that. Is there any way I can use my 3G data connection on mobile.

littlejunkie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
In India. But my phone is UK version from EE...I'm sure the update is there, because I get the Prompt. But I need wifi for that. Isn't that stupid? Why wouldn't nokia allow me to download on my H+ data connection?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Your phone will only allow you to download an update that's 20MB or less on your data connection. Anything more than this requires a WiFi connection, to save you data costs. I'm on EE (Well orange, but same base network) UK and I don't have an update notification. Can you tell us your current firmware version (settings>about phone>more information) and if you can update your phone what the firmware version is after?

littlejunkie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Carrier: CV GB
OS Version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision number: 1030.6407.1308.0002
Radio software version: 2.0.242008.6

and's its a T-mobile phone.. I'll try to update as soon as i have access to a wifi connection

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Your phone will only allow you to download an update that's 20MB or less on your data connection. Anything more than this requires a WiFi connection, to save you data costs. I'm on EE (Well orange, but same base network) UK and I don't have an update notification. Can you tell us your current firmware version (settings>about phone>more information) and if you can update your phone what the firmware version is after?

in addition, WiFi is more stable, you don't want any errors downloading your 1.5Gb OS

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
it's the language update, why people keep posting Amber when they didn't test it yet

I agree with Tungha, it most likely is the language pack update and also you must be border line insane wanting to download an o/s update over 3G lol. Regardless if you are or not :p as people have said Wi Fi is more stable and it is to save data costs as well as your battery. However if OP can post screenshots with showing Amber build numbers / Logo than it would make sense as given GDR2 is also looking to be a staggered release like Portico.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
"Wifi is more stable" is not valid. Any professional update system will assume the network connection, regardless of which type, is unstable and provide error checking and correction. The update will download to the device as either a single file or several files. Before the update begins installing the system will check that those files are correct and intact. "Save me money by not using data" also is invalid for those of us with unlimited data. I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out why MS requires WiFi for their updates. Like many things in WP8 I bet it is just another unfinished feature that will be addressed in a future release.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3