620, 630 or 520 for a new user?

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Its time to move my folks to a proper smartphone, and although I have a 620 and love it, I wondered (looking at the Nokia comparison pages) whether to get them a 620, 630 or 520. I find it hard to see the advantages of either over the 520 to be honest (I only went for the 620 as it was on 50% off deal at the time). They are cost conscious which is why I limit the options....

What do you think? There will be no game playing, some apps (Skype, weather, internet, mail, music) but that's pretty much it...

cheers.

Nick.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The 620 is the best phone of the bunch. You can get the 520 for 59.99$ from Amazon. The 630 is around 169$. I have a 820, 925, and two 520's. The 520's are me and my wife's backups but we use them all the time by swapping out the sims from the 820 and 925. They do just about everything most people want in a smart phone. If I were going to only use the one phone I would get the 620 if you can get a good deal on it. If cost is the main issue go with the 520, for the price they are hard to beat. The 630 seems a bit too high for what you get compared to the 620. But that is just my opinion.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Its time to move my folks to a proper smartphone, and although I have a 620 and love it, I wondered (looking at the Nokia comparison pages) whether to get them a 620, 630 or 520. I find it hard to see the advantages of either over the 520 to be honest (I only went for the 620 as it was on 50% off deal at the time). They are cost conscious which is why I limit the options....

What do you think? There will be no game playing, some apps (Skype, weather, internet, mail, music) but that's pretty much it...

cheers.

Nick.

I'd say 520, as 630 doesn't have a proximity sensor (disputed), is expensive, has no on screen buttons and no camera buttons. 520 works like a charm for me, and after 8.1, i hear that once i do a hard reset, it'll be faster. Only go for 630 if quad core is a wish, which i dont think should be. 620 is a little more complete, as it is the only one with front camera (OH THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR SKYPE). OH I'd say take a 620 for its front camera, glance screen and flash. If they are not necessary, and a larger screen is, then take a 520.

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Get the 620 as its more complete and has the better screen, glance, compass, and front facing camera necessary for Skype
Its also coming for cheaper these days

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
if u compare 630 with 520, there are only 3 differences that matters u:-
1. Gorilla Glass 3 in 630
2. better battery
3. larger screen (which consumes more battery, thus the battery will not differ much)

thus, if there is a significant cost difference, which i know will be there, u should choose 520. which is a known to be a really good performer, and known to be upgraded soon to WP 8.1 officially.

if u comapre 630 with 620, there are many differences: -
1. significantly larger screen in 630
2. no flash in 630
3. better battery in 630
4. better display with gorilla glass 3.

apart from these, there are no differences which should matter for ur decision.
if u r looking for cost effective option, i will definitely suggest 520 (only if u don't find that 50% discount offer for 620 again.).

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies, seriously!

The skype thing is a good point, although they tend to only use skype voice calling on the phone - for video they use a laptop (eyesight being an issue....) Battery life is important - they are not the best at remembering to charge things up....

Sadly, the 50% offer I got was through an employee of O2 who was able to get a staff discounted phone on my behalf. I think O2 got wise to it pretty quickly (must have cost them a bomb!)

On reflection I think the 520 would be more than adequate, particularly since the 8.1 update is reported to make it pretty snappy, and the standby looks to be a bit better than the 620.

Many thanks again.

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Better to compare prices first cause in my place the price of the 620 has gone down quite a lot and if battery life is important try the 630 instead and there is some news that the 630 is gonna be launced cheaper than the 520 and it may be cause they did omit quite some hardware so wait and see

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend the 620 out of the bunch.

Battery won't be the best, but its swappable.

The camera has a flash unlike the others, and has a dedicated camera button unlike the 630.

620: Compact, most feature-complete (flash...), highest pixel density
630: Slightly higher internals, no camera button (unlike the x20's), larger display, on-screen buttons, largest display of the bunch.
520: The bargain-bin essentials, price can't be beat, lacks Glance and some others, but battery life is better than the 620 (don't know about the 630) and has a 4" inch display, but that is subpar compared to the other two.

Those are my two cents

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend the 620 out of the bunch.

Battery won't be the best, but its swappable.

The camera has a flash unlike the others, and has a dedicated camera button unlike the 630.

620: Compact, most feature-complete (flash...), highest pixel density
630: Slightly higher internals, no camera button (unlike the x20's), larger display, on-screen buttons, largest display of the bunch.
520: The bargain-bin essentials, price can't be beat, lacks Glance and some others, but battery life is better than the 620 (don't know about the 630) and has a 4" inch display, but that is subpar compared to the other two.

Those are my two cents

Whats the performance compromise between the 620 and 630, the latter supposedly having the better processor? I have noticed with 8.1 and the extra icon rows, the home screen is noticeably laggy. Would the standard apps work faster, switch quicker etc?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Whats the performance compromise between the 620 and 630, the latter supposedly having the better processor? I have noticed with 8.1 and the extra icon rows, the home screen is noticeably laggy. Would the standard apps work faster, switch quicker etc?
630 and 620 both have the same 512 mb ram. So 630 simply can't utilize the quad core set up which is more powerful. U might launch apps quicker but multitasking is gonna be similar to 620.
Also if u can live with 620s small screen, and battery(its not really bad if u don't use it heavily for gaming and browsing) then it quite simply is the best low end wp even today.
And over 520
Much better display with glance and sunlight readability(its really bright).
All sensors except gyroscope(many missing in 520)
Front cam and flash.
Much more comfortable to use if that matters.
NFC(making it future proof).
And here drive + if it matters.
I own one since one year and still love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720