620 broken screen issues

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My bad. I accidentally cracked my daughter's 620 screen. The display still works but touch isn't working so I thought I'd buy a new digitizer. I bought one from eBay for ?9.99 and it arrived today.

I have just disassembled the phone, fitted the new digitizer and reassembled the phone. Everything seemed to go smoothly and it looks great but touch still doesn't work.

Does this mean the digitizer is a dud or could there be more serious problems with the phone?

Thanks for any help.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
This sort of issue has cropped up a lot. I think it's something to do with the build revision of the digitizer. Don't ask how/why though.

If a refund is an option I would do that, and invest in either a second hand one that is fully functional, or a second hand one that's dead (ie is bricked or has a logic board fault but the screen worked). Just transplant the board from your daughter's phone into the donor handset and everything should be hunky-dory.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like digitizer dud...if other things broke when falling, other problems would appear, I think. The display rotates and all that? Responds to changes in light when set on automatic.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I can tell, everything else seems to be working although it's hard to say for sure without being able to touch. Side buttons function and if I launch the camera then rotate, the screen responds.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
This sort of issue has cropped up a lot. I think it's something to do with the build revision of the digitizer. Don't ask how/why though.

If a refund is an option I would do that, and invest in either a second hand one that is fully functional, or a second hand one that's dead (ie is bricked or has a logic board fault but the screen worked). Just transplant the board from your daughter's phone into the donor handset and everything should be hunky-dory.

Cheers for the reply.

I've requested a refund so hopefully that should go through ok. The guy included a T5 and T6 screwdriver even though the job requires a T4.

Gonna try a local shop for a screen replace first. Been quoted ?20 which isn't too bad. If that doesn't work, I'll try your transplant suggestion.

Thanks again both.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Update: The seller agreed a refund without any hassle and didn't even want me to send the faulty digitizer back which seemed pretty decent of them, although it could be an admittance of selling dodgy parts but at least they did the decent thing.

Gonna order a genuine part next time.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I tried a couple more digitizers but none worked. Managed to get refunds without a problem which saved some hassle. The last digitizer I tried was 'guaranteed' genuine and stated that it would work with all current and future WP updates.

It looks like something on the board is dead. The phone boots up without a problem, the LCD display works without any noticeable issues so besides swapping the board with a known working one, it looks like there is little I can do. Tried hard resetting with the keys too.

It's not a huge problem now as I bought an unlocked 820 (with all boxed accessories), two wireless charging stands, a 64GB microsd extreme card, a protective case, a 3 metre USB cable and a little plastic stand thingy-magigy for ?100 from one of my brothers. Bloody good deal that and my daughter is absolutely over the moon with a better phone.

Not sure what to do with the 620 though...may only be good for the bin!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
OMFG!

The doughnut has only gone and dropped the 820 now!!!!

Powers on but the lcd is knackered. Nokia have quoted ?90 to fix it which is a little annoying.

Kids!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you find the right digitizer for your phone Nick ?

Gave up on the 620. I may have found the right digitizer for it but it looks like it had some other problems that were preventing the digitizer from working.

As for the 820, it's in a drawer gathering dust for the time being. My daughter is using her old Galaxy Y until we get the Lumia repaired or replaced.

Having kids is a great advert for contraception!!! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos