199 PPI, really?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
It is not as awful as the iPhone 3GS (163 ppi), but 199 ppi on a device in the year 2013? The large screen will only accentuate the jagged text on the horrible screen further. Even the entry level 520 has 233 ppi. No way this phone will do well in western countries where people are already used to high quality mobile devices. The 512 MB RAM will also mean constant waiting as you switch between apps. Unless you need a 4.7" screen for some reason, the 520 will be a much cheaper and better choice for most people.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it'll be as evident on Windows Phone due to it's use of straight lines and solid colors. (And to think the Palm Pre's 185 PPI wasn't too shabby at one time)

Yea I've seen the verge, and there's quite a discussion on this one.

But yea, this is by no means a high-end device. Probably will do just fine in emerging markets and stuff, but its going to be a tough sell here in the US and whatnot with the fancy 920 an option for most.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it'll be as evident on Windows Phone due to it's use of straight lines and solid colors. (And to think the Palm Pre's 185 PPI wasn't too shabby at one time)

Yea I've seen the verge, and there's quite a discussion on this one.

But yea, this is by no means a high-end device. Probably will do just fine in emerging markets and stuff, but its going to be a tough sell here in the US and whatnot with the fancy 920 an option for most.

The Pre was also a 3.1" screen. Not that I give a hairy rat's a** since my eyesight couldn't make out a pixel if it were 10 ppi. I think this device will fare well in the US in spite of the negative comments. A lot of people are still reeling from the economic mess of '08 and to get a Nokia smartphone with those specs at that price is a no-brainer. People are snatching up Chinese knock-offs for a just a little less money and don't even have US 3G so I don't see a problem.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I would wait and see it in person. I am among the crowd that does not believe in 1080P for small devices. I have compared standard ipad with a retina and had to work at finding a screen or photo where I could SEE the difference. I have very good eye sight by the way. I also compared the Surface RT with the Pro the same way. I would rather have the lower spec and save money and battery life.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nobody seemed to listen about the fact that 99% of apps WILL run on 512MB WP8 devices.

I hope the browser is better for zooming in and reading articles in general.

I don't care if the screen is 199PPL, it's as long as i can read it.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back and forth on this one. The 199 PPI doesn't bother me. The OS doesn't really need ultra high PPI. My main concern was about glare, and the lack of Clearblack. I have seen all of the current Lumia 's now in person and here are my observations about the screens.

The 625 is not as bad as I thought. It doesn't have Clearblack (I use a 900 now) but it's OK. The reds appear orangish though.
The 520 is ok, but the lack of gorilla glass coating makes the screen feel a bit sticky, your fingers don't slide over it well.
The 620 has a great little screen. AMOLED and Clearblack. Bright and colorful. A bit small.
720, 820, 920,... All very nice.

I understand this thread is about the screens so I won't mention my other pros and cons. But for me, it's about the compromises you can and can not live with or without. Nokia has taken a different road than most others. Some pbomes overlap at a pricepoint and offer different things, unlike others where simply spendimg more buys you higher specs and a "better" phone. My hot buttons are the camera and screen. Screen size, memory, and speed, not so much. .

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who have had the HTC Titan / Titan 2 will be familiar with this. The text won't be as pixelated nor sharp, but text appears to be reasonable, maybe because of cleartype. I'm not sure how the Lumia 625 is different from those two in terms of screen technology, but ghosting was a bit of a headache.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have not noticed any pixelation on my 625. But I use the phone like a normal person, namely, to get sh!t done. Not to get geek cred or make a fashion statement. Perhaps, if I put the device 2" away from my eyes, I'd see a pixel. However, I have better stuff to do with my time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb