Is 512 RAM enough for WP8?

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to WP8 and am quite tempted by the new lumia phones, I'm also not that tech savvy.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, which is slow and very juddery; I don't play games or videos or listen to music, I use it for email, calls and twitter with some photo editing.

My question is, is 512RAM enough to run WP8 smoothly without delays and loading apps/programmes?

I know the phone isn't out yet, but any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Ohh dude. You'll love WP8.. In my opinion, for your usage you will be more than satisfied with the L625.. I have had a couple of WP8 devices and the differences in between a 512MB and a 1GB RAM device are pretty much non-existent. I am a gamer and Asphalt 7 run smoothly on my Lumia 620 and well a bit better on a Lumia 810 (T-mobile variant of Lumia 820) which has 1GB.. You won't regret getting a WP8 even if you then use it for more than "email, calls, twitter and photo editing."

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey George, fantastic to see you here, welcome to WPCentral!

We've recently been discussing on the boards here how 99% of all games / other apps can be ran on a 512MB WP8 device. That means you'll be able to play basically any game out there without any lag or juddering. Better yet, all Windows Phone devices - yeah even the 512MB ones - are infamous for their snappy performance. It's something you have to see to believe. I don't think you'll have a single problem.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to WP8 and am quite tempted by the new lumia phones, I'm also not that tech savvy.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, which is slow and very juddery; I don't play games or videos or listen to music, I use it for email, calls and twitter with some photo editing.

My question is, is 512RAM enough to run WP8 smoothly without delays and loading apps/programmes?

Cheers.

For your particular requirements, a Lumia with 512MB of RAM is sufficient. WP8 has different architecture that allows it to run smoothly without the need for multiple core CPUs and oodles of RAM. You should however, check out the Windows Store to make sure there is a suitable photo editing app for the device you're looking for. The Nokia phones come with some editing software out of the box but you need to decide if it's enough. BTW, which phone are you referring to? Most, if not all, WP8 phones are already on the market unless you're looking at the 625.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! Yes, It's the 625 that got my attention yesterday and I think it looks good - at least in the press photos!

I shall count down the days until it is released and in the meantime, look for a photo editing software programme. I use the KVAD Photo Studio Pro which does everything I need well and quickly. Do you have any suggestions as alternatives, or is it already in the WP App Shop?

Cheers

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes. 1GB Memory is only needed for graphic intensive games. Some of them are eventually optimized to work with 512MB. But it you're not into that, you'll be fine.

Windows phone is properly optimized and works great across all devices. From the 520-1020, the performance is the same.

Edit: Have a read
Have a Windows Phone with 512MB RAM? Report shows you can enjoy 99% of apps and games | Windows Phone Central

That's really helpful, thank you for suggesting this article. Having read it, I am becoming more eager to try the new 625!

baroiic

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I have both Galaxy S4 and lumia 620, and I find myself using the Lumia 620 the more. It's just run so much smoother. It's just crazy how a so much cheaper phone runs so much better than a so expensive phone

Sent from my Lumia 620

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I would look at it this way..520, 620 and 720 runs on 512MB RAM, and if you check the reviews and ratings on ecommerce sites in different countries, these phones have 4+/5 rating, much higher than any Android phone. Although individual ratings may be biased, the collective rating of so many people across the world is statistically significant. Such a rating shows most people are happy with the purchase for the price they paid. Now, let us take this to the 625. 625 have the exact same architecture (with a faster processor), so the user experience is going to be same or better. Other things like size, screen resolution, battery life etc. should only be the unknowns in this case, and once you have a feel of it, you should have enough data to make a logical decision.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everyone else. 512 is plenty. I'm a 900 owner and it's very smooth. For what it's worth, I seem to remember all the fuse about a year ago when Microsoft said 1gb would be the minimum standard going forward. They must have seen the light because now we see apps that previously only ram on 1gb being optimized for 512. Good job MS. Glad to see you make the right move...

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Cheers.

The last time I said those words was somewhere in week 2 of April, then I switched to L720.
I don't even know how to spell salow or laggie now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro