Lumia 625 has no proximity sensor?

jddumawa

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I used Nokia N9 before updating to a 625. In Nokia N9, the screen blacks out everytime i cover the proximity sensor with my fingers or anything. I haven't noticed it with my 625? Apparently the screen stays even when covered or put in the pouch, my Nokia n9 automatically locks the screen though when it (proximity sensor) detects a blockage or covering.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I used Nokia N9 before updating to a 625. In Nokia N9, the screen blacks out everytime i cover the proximity sensor with my fingers or anything. I haven't noticed it with my 625? Apparently the screen stays even when covered or put in the pouch, my Nokia n9 automatically locks the screen though when it (proximity sensor) detects a blockage or covering.

It has a proximity sensor but is used to switch off display during calls when you place it close to your ears. And that's how the Glance screen works.

jddumawa

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that though, the screen blacks out when in call and bear the ear. I'm curious though, where in the 625 is the proximity sensor? I can only see the ffc.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Try calling someone and then look near the ffc, there will be a light red glow. That is the proximity sensor. Usually placed below the camera.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm writing this on a 625 - the post above is correct, there is a proximity sensor there.

I can connect a call and it blanks when close to the face, and I can place my finger on it and it will blank and turn on when the finger is lifted.

If there is dust on the sensor that can cause it to not function, as can faulty hardware.

A wipe and hard reset may solve the problem as a driver may have messed up..?

Are you running 8.1? That in itself may be the culprit! There is a massive thread, on wpc, taking about bugs, and the proximity sensor and front facing camera have been mentioned.

Sorry I can't be of more help ;)

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh, haven't had my coffee yet - sorry I misread lol

Yeah, it's working for you, and yes that's where it is, near the ffc.

Sorry for the random response I thought you were having a problem lol

jddumawa

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah thanks for the replies. It works on me actually, but not the same as my n9 was. On the n9, it actually locks the screen when proximity sensor is covered, but on this Lumia it won't. It waits for the predetermined time until it locks the screen.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh I see - I used the n9 briefly and I flipped the phone over, on the table, and it would lock. You mean that? That was a cool feature!!! I didn't realise any wp phone could do that!?

jddumawa

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks and Yeah Poirots, that's what exactly on looking for. :( but it seems wp waits for the time indicated before it locks the screen.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah - that feature would be cool, maybe in the future...

And yeah, I just use the power button to just insta-lock.

I'm sure, as the os matures, other interesting lock screen features will arrive. I hope ;)

Marc_SR

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
If proximity sensor is always ON it will probably drain battery.
When You have a call it is probably a signal for proximity sensor to be ON, just to prevent screen activity.
Is it so hard to press power button?

jddumawa

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
It is a bit of a nuisance, knowing it could have been better. What i did was to download an app that would lock the screen upon clicking the tile.
Also, it is so much a bugger to press the lock screen key especially when the phone has rubber case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss