Why is my data getting drained very fast on the Lumia 625?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Data getting drained very fast on Lumia 625

Hi!

I have a strange problem that began a few months back.

Just to give a little background, I only use my Lumia for simple apps - which involves communicating with people via email, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, Skype chats, and basic browsing - and of course, phone calls and text messages. But on the data side of things, nothing more intensive than what I described, and certainly not watching videos or playing games.

I mostly work from home, and the phone is connected to the Wifi. I go out for a couple of hours each day - shopping/errands, walk, etc. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot of mobile data being used.

A few months back I noticed that my mobile data (3GB) was getting used up within just a week or so. This was very odd, considering I had not changed anything in that time as far as my usage was concerned. I went to another country for a few months, and on purpose, I subscribed to just 2G services (not 3G) - just to see what happened.

Even with 2G services, apparently, my phone supposedly used up 2B of data in around 3 days - which was absolutely astounding! And I used exactly the same apps - no change in my usage.

I'm not sure how this is even possible - given the slow speed of 2G.

Anyway, I'm wondering what might be the reason and if there is an actual problem with my phone. Is it a virus? I thought Windowsphones don't get viruses.

I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Then I went to another

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Data getting drained very fast on Lumia 625

Check your Data Sense > Usage. Look for something named Restore Data (or Data to Restore - seems to be regional variations). See if that is where the spike is.

It's been going around. I've not found any definitive explanations or solutions on it. I saw 2 months peak with usage of data (cellular and WiFi) then it has dropped to virtually nothing.

I believe it is a server side anomaly causing Microsoft to poll affected users Restore excessively. I can't know anything for sure, just guesses. Staying on WiFi as much as possible seems the only defense. Again, I have seen no cures submitted.

Check these threads as well:
Data to Restore using mobile data - Windows Central Forums
Random sudden data usage. Data to restore What is this? - Windows Central Forums

If you need to add additional information or want to post additional questions, please join the site so you can see the reply button and continue the conversation in the same thread you originally made or one of the relevant threads I linked.

Som T

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site

Thanks so much! That makes sense. I don't have "Restore" on my phone, but I did notice that several things were set to back up - and background data while roaming was enabled too.

I'm switching my service provider, and I hope that now I'll be able to track my data usage better.

sjoerdvdn

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

I'm having the same issue but when looking at data sense I see a lot of "Uninstalled App" usage:

wp_ss_20151127_0001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)