Lumia 63X series is a iPhone 5C killer

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Was Nokia's 63X series an answer to Apple's iPhone 5C? I think so! Both are colorful. and both were meant for the masses. However, can the masses really afford a $550 dollar phone, compared to the Lumia 63X's price tag of $169-$189?

The iPhone 5C may have 16Gigs. However, the Lumia 630X series has 8Gigs only, BUT they also have an SD Card slot for up to 128 gigs. Not that you need that many if you have an Xbox Music subscription. Apple, by offering a phone that is $550, which is a $100 dollars cheaper than their flagship phone, forgot their mission. They really didn't cut back on anything really. That is why it is so expensive.. I was willing to buy one just for the iTunes music management software. But it was STILL to expensive. So I gave a $60 Lumia 521 a try instead. It wasn't a great risk, $480s cheaper. So I tried it and to this day Im still satisfied with my Lumia 521. It may not have a front facing camera, a flash, 16gigs of memory, or 1gig of RAM, but it runs smoothly, and has enough memory thanks to the SD Card.

I think Nokia did a great job on this phone. With the clear black screen and the Gorilla Glass we get a good solid screen to look at. The only thing I don't like about the Lumia 63X's are that it only has 512MB of RAM, and that the music software still doesn't even come close to Apple's powerful iTune software. I wish Microsoft had burned in Playlists like ITunes. and Their "New Music Added" and other automatic play lists are great. Also, you can buy books on tape, convert them to MP3s and play them as books, where one can stop a book and then resume it later on. It's little touches like these that makes iTunes better than Xbox Music. Xbox music has a ways to go. Hopefully, Microsoft will give us more options. I don't really care about how it looks, but rather how it functions.

Correction: 63X Lumias have 512MB not a gig of RAM. Thanks you.

Last edited:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
That would be closer to a flagship than a budget phone though. Wouldn't be in the 600 series.
Not exactly. The current Windows Phone flagships have 1080p displays, 20MP+ PureView cameras, 2GB of RAM and S800 CPUs.

The mid-range I am speaking of would be a 720p display, 8-9MP PureView, 1GB of RAM and S400 CPU, which is pretty close to Moto G. The SensorCore and LTE are already on lower-end phones. Of course this wouldn't be in the Lumia 6xx series, hence my point, the Lumia 6xx is no iPhone 5C killer. An iPhone 5C killer would need to be comparable to the iPhone across the board, but beat it in price.

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The mid-range I am speaking of would be a 720p display, 8-9MP PureView, 1GB of RAM and S400 CPU, which is pretty close to Moto G. The SensorCore and LTE are already on lower-end phones. Of course this wouldn't be in the Lumia 6xx series, hence my point, the Lumia 6xx is no iPhone 5C killer. An iPhone 5C killer would need to be comparable to the iPhone across the board, but beat it in price.
The Lumia 63X Look an awful bit like the iPhone 5C. Both have many colors and are meant to be more affordable. However, Apple things chopping a hundred dollars off its premium pricing makes is more affordable. This is its method when trying to make phones for the masses, right? Why else make this phone? Is it for the masses? I am saying it tries to be but doesn't make it affordable enough. Nokia, on the other hand, accomplishes it with the Lumia 63X series. Nokia knows where to cut corners and still make a great product. Apple still wants a premium price for their cheaper phone, and it's almost like they don't want to lower themselves to make a lesser phone, which is okay. Meanwhile, Nokia Lumia's 52X and 63X are selling like crazy.

indaco

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't really understand how you can talk about the specs of a phone without saying what it will be used for...
For example I need mine to check emails, make skype calls on the go to keep in touch with clients, use calendar to organize my days etc.
For that reason I need a phone with a big screen and some powerful cpu (otherwise skype video calls are too slow, already tried), and to be honest an iPhone 5C/5S makes a different impression in front of a client.
Some of my colleagues that do maintenance and safety checks in risky areas need different equipment, something that gives them safety, and although it isn't an iPhone, this does the job much better for what they need...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. The iPhone 5C isn't really a "budget" phone. It basically has all the same internals as the iPhone 5. If anything is an iPhone 5C killer, it would be something like the 930, maybe even the Lumia 920 although it's older than the 5C.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5c is complete crap,horribly overpriced piece of trash.I don't know about Lumia 630 but Moto G is a great budget phone with specs better than Lumia 630 at same price.

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. The iPhone 5C isn't really a "budget" phone. It basically has all the same internals as the iPhone 5. If anything is an iPhone 5C killer, it would be something like the 930, maybe even the Lumia 920 although it's older than the 5C.
Apple calls it a budget phone, but I agree with you. Its over twice the price of the 5c is $550 That's over twice the price what Nokia calls a budget phone. Hell I can buy a Lumia 925 for $200!
Scraping off a hundred dollars, like apple did, still makes it unaffordable to buy off contract.

mspace81

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
The 630 should be compared with the Moto G. The Moto G is an excellent low end phone, but definitely doesn't feel low end. The fact that the 630 doesn't have a front facing camera and no flash is just bogus to me. I have the 521 and the camera sucks on that thing without flash. These are the 2 features that I was hoping were going to be added.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Was Nokia's 63X series an answer to Apple's iPhone 5C? I think so! Both are colorful. and both were meant for the masses. However, can the masses really afford a $550 dollar phone, compared to the Lumia 63X's price tag of $169-$189?

The iPhone 5C may have 16Gigs. However, the Lumia 630X series has 8Gigs only, BUT they also have an SD Card slot for up to 128 gigs. Not that you need that many if you have an Xbox Music subscription. Apple, by offering a phone that is $550, which is a $100 dollars cheaper than their flagship phone, forgot their mission. They really didn't cut back on anything really. That is why it is so expensive.. I was willing to buy one just for the iTunes music management software. But it was STILL to expensive. So I gave a $60 Lumia 521 a try instead. It wasn't a great risk, $480s cheaper. So I tried it and to this day Im still satisfied with my Lumia 521. It may not have a front facing camera, a flash, 16gigs of memory, or 1gig of RAM, but it runs smoothly, and has enough memory thanks to the SD Card.

I think Nokia did a great job on this phone. With the clear black screen and the Gorilla Glass we get a good solid screen to look at. The only thing I don't like about the Lumia 63X's are that it only has 512MB of RAM, and that the music software still doesn't even come close to Apple's powerful iTune software. I wish Microsoft had burned in Playlists like ITunes. and Their "New Music Added" and other automatic play lists are great. Also, you can buy books on tape, convert them to MP3s and play them as books, where one can stop a book and then resume it later on. It's little touches like these that makes iTunes better than Xbox Music. Xbox music has a ways to go. Hopefully, Microsoft will give us more options. I don't really care about how it looks, but rather how it functions.

Correction: 63X Lumias have 512MB not a gig of RAM. Thanks you.

And you know Apple's mission for the 5c how exactly? Apple does play the low end game, they never intended the 5c to be cheap. They needed it to represent less cost for them to produce.

BTW, though incomparable to the 5S, the 5C was one of the best selling devices on carriers in the US.

Sent from my Moto X...

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion the 5c killer will probably be the Lumia 730 (I know it's not even out yet). But you could always get the 920 for cheap nowadays.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I think that even if Nokia/Microsoft would make the 1020 available at a really low price, of say the 630, then there's still people that'd buy an iPhone... It appears to be a status symbol, there's no such thing as an iPhone killer for that exact reason. Plus, the 5C didn't do that well at all, but it shows people still shell out ridiculous amounts of money on a mobile phone just to be part of something.

The main reason I use a windows phone, like everyone else here, is mainly because of the low price and because I appreciate and can look past the old Microsoft brand, and I also feel zero need to "belong" with an iPhone.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think Microsoft can beat Apple. They just need to refine the OS a little bit. Add features without cluttering the interface like Android. A true flagship with cool design and latest specs, pureview camera. And there they go..

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It would be wonderful if Microsoft made a device that resembles the 5C a lot. By just adding flash, a Pureview Camera, more colours than the current one and selling it around $200 at most. I think that would be a hit.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
It would be wonderful if Microsoft made a device that resembles the 5C a lot. By just adding flash, a Pureview Camera, more colours than the current one and selling it around $200 at most. I think that would be a hit.

I think it quite funny that people are saying Microsoft should make a phone that resembles the 5c when the Apple is a clear rip-off of Nokia.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it quite funny that people are saying Microsoft should make a phone that resembles the 5c when the Apple is a clear rip-off of Nokia.

I know its kindda a rip-off especially when Nokia tweeted that pic haha. But if we keep insisting that they copied from them bla bla bla. It's a bit immature don't you think. Even the 630 is going for the softer colors like the iPhone 5C.

Our drop down menu notifications? From android.

So ultimately, Microsoft should make a phone that has capabilities and features that does more than the 5C.

OS- WP is considered quite okay for now and considerably light with even the 520 running the latest 8.1

Hardware- now this is where they will cut corners. The processor could be 'meh' but the sensors should be there.

If they could just add a camera button and a flash. I see no reason it will overtake the 5C soon..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3