No proximity and ambient light sensor in 630 ?

gagmani

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Now even Nokia developer site has changed its specs sheet, should we assume that 630/635 have no proximity and ambient light sensor? Nokia, wasn't 512 MB ram and flash/front camera omission enough for you to cut costs? Nokia 630 is a joke without these two sensors. No double tap to wake up. Low brightness setting is not really low in windows phone. I solely rely on ambient light sensor at night. These should have been added, otherwise price should be dropped to such an extent that 630 justifies these omissions. Is a quad core processor as a upgrade alone enough ?

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Now even Nokia developer site has changed its specs sheet, should we assume that 630/635 have no proximity and ambient light sensor? Nokia, wasn't 512 MB ram and flash/front camera omission enough for you to cut costs? Nokia 630 is a joke without these two sensors. No double tap to wake up. Low brightness setting is not really low in windows phone. I solely rely on ambient light sensor at night. These should have been added, otherwise price should be dropped to such an extent that 630 justifies these omissions. Is a quad core processor as a upgrade alone enough ?

STOP whining. 630 is getting Sensor Core, a completely new feature they only the 930 has. Combined with Cortana and geo fencing it's going to be awesome. SSSI obviously some other stuff was ignored to keep the price down. Bottom line is even without the proximity sensor the phone should be except maybe no Glance peek.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

gagmani

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
STOP whining. 630 is getting Sensor Core, a completely new feature they only the 930 has. Combined with Cortana and geo fencing it's going to be awesome. SSSI obviously some other stuff was ignored to keep the price down. Bottom line is even without the proximity sensor the phone should be except maybe no Glance peek.

Sensor core is an SDK. It will be available for almost all phones. It is not a hardware feature. Cortana will take ages to come to my country. And no, region change is not good for all. Sensor Core is not a replacement for proximity sensor and ambient light sensor. How can you justify the price of 630 with all these omissions. Light sensor is necessary in low light. I don't want a torch like light coming from my phone at night. Proximity sensor is also necessary for double tap to wake up.

Last edited:

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Sensor core is an SDK. It will be available for almost all phones. It is not a hardware feature. Cortana will take ages to come to my country. And no, region change is not good for all. Senor Core is not a replacement for proximity sensor and ambient light sensor. How can you justify the price of 630 with all these omissions. Light sensor is necessary in low light. I don't want a torch like light coming from my phone at night. Proximity sensor is also necessary for double tap to wake up.

Alright I concede it was rather unnecessary to exclude those sensors but on the night side even the SDK is exclusive to the 1520,1020,930 & 630. It's not much but something to go on. Also we don't know how the 630 will perform in reality. There was talk of some clever use of its limited sensors to overcome its shortcomings.
But it's the RAM that kills it for me. Once the 525 got 1GB all the phones above the 5xx series should have 1gb as well. Regardless of software optimisation low RAM is just :(

I'm more interested in why you're against region change. I plan to do it. Apart from niggles like the date format I don't see any issues there, what am I missing?

gagmani

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Alright I concede it was rather unnecessary to exclude those sensors but on the night side even the SDK is exclusive to the 1520,1020,930 & 630. It's not much but something to go on. Also we don't know how the 630 will perform in reality. There was talk of some clever use of its limited sensors to overcome its shortcomings.
But it's the RAM that kills it for me. Once the 525 got 1GB all the phones above the 5xx series should have 1gb as well. Regardless of software optimisation low RAM is just :(

I'm more interested in why you're against region change. I plan to do it. Apart from niggles like the date format I don't see any issues there, what am I missing?

I will change region too to try Cortana. Region format and Region can be changed separately(at least in wp 8, don't know about wp 8.1). So Region change does not affect Search Region and Region Format. There are different settings for them. So what does Region change actually do? Does it tell wp that we are in USA? But are you sure Cortana will work with a region change flawlessly? Wouldn't Microsoft block Cortana outside USA like it blocks Music Search. I have tried music search with a region change to USA but never got that music search button in Bing.

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Sensor core is an SDK. It will be available for almost all phones. It is not a hardware feature.

Factually wrong . SensorCore, while an SDK, relies on the new Qualcomm Snapdragon chip. Meaning even the high end Lumia 92x series will not be getting SensorCore. No software update can change that. This is a hardware limitation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism