Lumia 630 display problem - buy 625 instead?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I checked again several 630 and 625 in different shops. Result:

All 630 had the mentioned problem at the top of the screen. Visible, but maybe you get used to it after a while, because you see it only with bright backgrounds. It is not THAT bad finally.

All 625 I checked didn't have display problems. Bright and clear. I also liked the slightly rounded form of the body. And the bigger display is good for my aging eyes.

Odd that the 630 you looked at have the screen issue... I wonder if the wpcentral review unit has the issue?

And yes, the 625 is rather nice in the hand, and the accessibility features (in wp) really zing on the 625.

Yes, I said zing lol

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Weird, I am a 630 owner and even with the brightness up to the max I don't see this issue on my phone (although I do think the whites on screen do take a slightly blue tint, but could just be my eyes). I actually reduced the max setting by just a couple of points on my phone as the highest level was actually too bright (its a nice addition on the new 8.1/cyan combo that you can set the brightness levels yourself).

That said, mine is the dual sim version, but I assume the screen specs are the same, but no distortions on my display...

Nick.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Weird, I am a 630 owner and even with the brightness up to the max I don't see this issue on my phone (although I do think the whites on screen do take a slightly blue tint, but could just be my eyes). I actually reduced the max setting by just a couple of points on my phone as the highest level was actually too bright (its a nice addition on the new 8.1/cyan combo that you can set the brightness levels yourself).

That said, mine is the dual sim version, but I assume the screen specs are the same, but no distortions on my display...

Nick.

It may be a batch problem, something to do with the manufacture process, for a location..?

Also, are you in the UK, did you purchase the dual sim variant there?

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I am in the UK but I bought my dual sim from a seller in India as the dual sim variant will not be sold in the UK.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh I see! I've been looking on amazon and expansys but no joy! The dual sim 630 is the only one of the 63x range I'd consider.

What's the battery life like, with two Sims active?

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Oh I see! I've been looking on amazon and expansys but no joy! The dual sim 630 is the only one of the 63x range I'd consider.

What's the battery life like, with two Sims active?

The battery in this one kicks the pants out of my old 620, I put it on charge each night as a rule but it is usually only down to 40% or so. The 620 would be in battery saver mode by the time I got home usually.

VxOC

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
You're very true in your point. I noticed this when I open Facebook mobile website on my phone.

However..

The 625 has an extra 0.2 inch meaning the screen is not as high quality to my knowledge.

The windows buttons are physical rather than on screen. This is down to personal preference but I love on screen button because they prevent hardware faults.

The 630 will probably be more widely supported in years to come!

Thanks for bringing this point up, I thought it was just me!

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I think the 625 screen is rather nice, actually.

Really, it comes down to personal preference. Browse the internet, try the camera, check them all out and decide :)

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
From a recent review of the 630:

Dim the display and another problem rears its head: the top edge of the screen is terribly patchy, which can be distracting when using the phone in dark conditions. There's also an awful lot of smear and motion blur evident when you swipe and scroll around quickly.

Read more: Nokia Lumia 630 review | PC Pro Nokia Lumia 630 review | PC Pro

Seems the display problem is bigger with dim brightness?

From the same review:

I got the dual sim 630 for ?123 which I've had for 9 days. It's a decent handset but agree with the review - noticeable darkness along the top (almost like having the opposite of light bleed)

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
From a recent review of the 630:

Seems the display problem is bigger with dim brightness?

From the same review:

I couldn't reproduce the fault described, but I did find, if I lowered the brightness as far as possibly, a general flicker to the whole screen (ie unstable brightness for whole display, kind of fading slightly higher and lower brightness rapidly and constantly). However, the display update they released in the last couple of days has changed the way you manage the brightness levels, and the flickering has also stopped.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs