Harsh review of the Lumia 630 from Engadget

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen or used the phone so I can't comment on the accuracy of the review, but if it is accurate the negative conclusion seems fair.

Interesting to see an old Nokia feature still present - the battery meter lying to you. Every Nokia phone I've ever used did this. The meter would stay at 4/4 bars until the battery had maybe 40-50% charge left and then drop like a stone. I assume this was to try to fool the user into thinking the battery had a higher capacity than it actually did, as they would be likely to charge it once the dropped below 4 bars. Personally it left me stranded on several occasions. I didn't hear of this behaviour with Nokia's recent phones, and I wonder if its reappearance was a final act of revenge by a Nokia employee before the take over.

nfbsk

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Seeing that the 630 is actually a downgrade over the 620 I think the review is quite fair. The display is claimed to be ClearBlack, but has actually worse sunlight legibility than the 620. Omitting the ambient light sensor isn't helping either. I'm still waiting for the true successor to the 620, whatever it might be.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The review was funny. Its true. Except the dismissal of the OS that is at odds with endgadget's own review of 8.1. The phone is truly awful. But its happened. Every 6XX upgrade has been a downgrade. The 625 increased the size and added LTE and a larger battery but took away Clearback display and ended up with a worse screen, it also removed NFC and one other sensor. At this rate the 650 will only be able to make calls and the 550 will be a superphone going from the regression/progression of their respective series

VxOC

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
The review is certainly an interesting one. I couldn't be happier with my 630, although a downgrade from my 620 (lack of 'selfie' camera, I mean wtf? And flash) they aren't big ones for me. I do however value the bigger screen, on screen navigation (my 620 vibrated consistently due to hardware keys) and the awesome battery I'm getting 17 hours out of heavy use! I can't complain!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the unit was defective. Well, ignoring the snark.

But it does make me wonder if the CBD is actually onpar with other CBD's like the 620's.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Now I've had my 630 for a few more days I can make a better comment on the battery life. Using it non stop, I get 12 hours out of it. Which compares to 8 hours out of my iPhone 5. But the comment on GSMArena about standby battery use being high is true. I hope a later firmware update sorts this out. But regardless, it lasts longer than a 520 or 620 and can only get better.

The screen is leaps and bounds better than the one on the 520, better than the 625, and the 620 only has better sunlight visibility because of the greasy finger mark issue.

For a low end cheap Lumia, you have four choices right now, 520, 620, 625, 630. The first two just don't have the battery life. The 625 has great battery life, has LTE that none of the rest do, but it's not as comfortable to hold as the 630 and then there's that dreadful screen. And the 630 is noticeably faster than all of them.

The one thing that does p*** me off is the lack of a light sensor, which seems taking the cost savings drive a little too far.

So yeah, it's not perfect, but it's more than usable, and that review was seriously harsh.

Sent from my Lumia 630 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zicoz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
This is my fourth Windows Phone device having previously owned Optimus 7, Lumina 900 and HTC 8x. And it is the one that I am least satisfied with. It seems overall slow and sluggish. On the plus side the battery easily gets me through the day, and the screen works great in the sunlight.

Pistooli

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have read the review and mostly agree what they say... But... It is a budget phone, and as such I am happy with it. My DS barely drives me through the day, 512 RAM gives constant reloading of pages during browsing and the missing front camera... Yeah. It is missing. 😊 Yet I am happy with the phone. You get what you pay for.
Sent from my Nokia 630 DS using Tapatalk

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If the low battery life in the review was due to a defective device, it was definitely too harsh and should be changed.

I think nobody disagrees about the rest, nobody was thrilled about that device, being more or less a downgrade of the 620.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
the omission of the proximity and ambient light sensor in favor of some novelty (sensorcore) is a poor design choice and I personally would not recommend this device to anyone.
no auto brightness in 2014? no front camera? 512 MB? please. check out micromax WP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss