5GHz WiFi?

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I am using a Lumia 630 Dual Sim amongst other machines in the Microsoft ecosystem.
For some reason (I think a lot of interferences from other WiFi networks where I live), my modem gives me a poor speed over 2.4GHz WiFi, but a great one on 5GHz WiFi (speed tests have had 5-10MB down on 2.4GHz as opposed to >85MB down on the 5GHz WiFi). At least this is the case on my Surface Pro 1.
My HTC 8X can also connect to this WiFi and benefit from the improved speeds versus when it was 2.4GHz.

My L630DS however does not see the WiFi network...
I've tried restarting the WiFi, rebooting the phone but so far it does not find it :(
being more recent than the 8X, I though it would have a more up to date hardware...
Anyone can confirm it does not support 5GHz WiFi or should I try a soft/hard reset?

Thanks for the help!

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: 5Ghz WiFi?

Hi,
I am using a Lumia 630 Dual Sim amongst other machines in the Microsoft ecosystem.
For some reason (I think a lot of interferences from other WiFi networks where I live), my modem gives me a poor speed over 2.4Ghz WiFi, but a great one on 5Ghz WiFi (speed tests have had 5-10MB down on 2.4Ghz as opposed to >85MB down on the 5Ghz WiFi). At least this is the case on my Surface Pro 1.
My HTC 8X can also connect to this WiFi and benefit from the improved speeds versus when it was 2.4Ghz.

My L630DS however does not see the WiFi network...
I've tried restarting the WiFi, rebooting the phone but so far it does not find it :(
being more recent than the 8X, I though it would have a more up to date hardware...
Anyone can confirm it does not support 5Ghz WiFi or should I try a soft/hard reset?

Thanks for the help
I think the phone doesn't support 5Ghz. I have a 635 and a 925. My 925 sees the 5Ghz. The 635 does not (so it's connected to the 2.4Ghz). Soft/hard reset makes no difference for the 635.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: 5Ghz WiFi?

I think the phone doesn't support 5Ghz. I have a 635 and a 925. My 925 sees the 5Ghz. The 635 does not (so it's connected to the 2.4Ghz). Soft/hard reset makes no difference for the 635.

Thanks for the answer, I have unlimited data on my 630 anyways. Unfortunately my modem does not support simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio, so I will need to invest in another modem or just use wifi to sync my photos to onedrive or download large apps/updates from my work.
thanks again for the help; I don't think it is possible but I wish this would be possible in the future through a firmware update...

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Quentin, do you have Bluetooth running on your Surface Pro 1? Because both on the SP 1 and 2 Bluetooth slows down Wifi (2.4Ghz) significantly, this is a known issue.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Quentin, do you have Bluetooth running on your Surface Pro 1? Because both on the SP 1 and 2 Bluetooth slows down Wifi (2.4Ghz) significantly, this is a known issue.
Bluetooth is off. The speedtests on 2.4GHz were done on various devices (laptops and phones), usually my SP1 had the better results. I sometimes do leave Bluetooth on but I can't say i've noticed it slowing down my WiFi.
I got in touch with my internet provider who has suggested to factory reset the modem to improve the 2.4GHz WiFi speeds...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss