A colleague jus got a Lumia 630 and asked how to change the background image behind the tiles. I showed him settings and how to do it, but the background images didn't show, even after a restart if the phone.
    I tried images from the photos album and the backgrounds folder, nothing worked. Going back into the settings, it still shows that an image has been selected.
    He did say that he 'played with some settings' before hand. Is there another setting that would prevent a background image from displaying? Any other ideas?!
    01-29-2015 09:01 AM
    Did you first remove the existing image?
    01-29-2015 09:26 AM
    Take a look in settings->ease of access. Changing some settings in there will disable the backgound image in order to increase useability.
    01-29-2015 09:27 AM
    Harri-S: Yes, Pete: Will try.
    01-29-2015 09:34 AM
    Right, got the image there, but where there is no tile, it just stays on the black background. Are there blank tiles it something?
    01-29-2015 09:50 AM
    That shouldn't happen, although it's possible to create blank tiles for the purpose of spacing things out.

If you go into personalise mode on the start screen, do the black squares wobble with the rest? If so, unpin them.
    01-29-2015 09:56 AM
    Nope! There is just nothing there! The images only shows where there are tiles, whether they are transparent it not. No tile, no background lol
    01-29-2015 10:14 AM
    I have had a few apps installed in the past that are related to transparent tiles etc., I can't actually remember if you need an app or not?!
    01-29-2015 10:15 AM
    oh weird.

Are you sure that all of the ease of access settings are turned off?
    01-29-2015 10:17 AM
    oh weird.

Oh, the other thing to try is settings->sync my settings.

If you have "Theme" turned on, odd things will happen as it'll try to take settings from other devices using the same Microsoft Account.
    01-29-2015 10:19 AM
    Nope! There is just nothing there! The images only shows where there are tiles, whether they are transparent it not. No tile, no background lol
    Isn't this the intended way that backgrounds work in WP 8.1? If you have a background image set, it will only put that image over the tiles. Anywhere that you don't have tiles will just use the theme color (Black for dark theme and White for light theme). You cannot change the color BEHIND the tiles, only the tiles themselves (if they are transparent)

Unless I'm missing something?
    01-29-2015 10:24 AM
    Isn't this the intended way that backgrounds work in WP 8.1? If you have a background image set, it will only put that image over the tiles. Anywhere that you don't have tiles will just use the theme color (Black for dark theme and White for light theme). You cannot change the color BEHIND the tiles, only the tiles themselves (if they are transparent)
    LOL! Darn, yes you're right. Been staring me in the face all the time and I KNOW this.
    Idiosyncrasy likes this.
    01-29-2015 10:26 AM
    Should look like this....

wp_ss_20140429_0001.jpg
    01-29-2015 10:29 AM
    oh weird.

Oh, the other thing to try is settings->sync my settings.

If you have "Theme" turned on, odd things will happen as it'll try to take settings from other devices using the same Microsoft Account.
    Can't. His first Windows phone!
    Also, the ease of access stuff is off.
    01-29-2015 10:29 AM
    Can't. His first Windows phone!
    FYI, "sync my settings" will sync settings across any Windows 8 device for the same Microsoft Account, not just Phones. Mine sync between my Windows Phone, my Surface Pro 3 and my desktop PC.
    01-29-2015 10:31 AM
    Should look like this....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20140429_0001.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	95109
    Yes, mine does too.
    I will have to take a snap of his start screen and post it. I can't till tomorrow now... He's just finished for the day. Damn it lol

Anyway, surely the background image should cover the whole background, whether there are tiles over it or not...?
    01-29-2015 10:35 AM
    FYI, "sync my settings" will sync settings across any Windows 8 device for the same Microsoft Account, not just Phones. Mine sync between my Windows Phone, my Surface Pro 3 and my desktop PC.
    I think he may have some Windows machine or other, but I don't imagine it will be 8 or later.
    And I too love that sync ability between devices lol
    01-29-2015 10:38 AM
    Yes, mine does too.
    I will have to take a snap of his start screen and post it. I can't till tomorrow now... He's just finished for the day. Damn it lol

Anyway, surely the background image should cover the whole background, whether there are tiles over it or not...?
    If there is no tiles, the background image WON'T be visible.
    01-30-2015 07:43 AM
    That makes no sense!
    Just moved a few tiles on mine and you are absolutely right. What the ****?!
    01-30-2015 08:31 AM
    Ok, change your way of thinking on this. You don't have a background image, you have a static background for your tiles.

We have to wait for Windows 10 to give us a traditional background to the start screen.
    01-30-2015 08:34 AM
    Ok, change your way of thinking on this. You don't have a background image, you have a static background for your tiles.

We have to wait for Windows 10 to give us a traditional background to the start screen.
    Still hoping I can keep the live tile images instead of background images in windows 10,its what makes windows phone unique above the rest
    Idiosyncrasy and An_dz like this.
    01-30-2015 08:42 AM
    OK, thanks folks... All sorted (I rearranged his tiles so that the image shows).
    That one stumped me lol
    01-30-2015 03:25 PM