Nokia 635 won't detect SD card

David Nguyen13

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I installed a ADATA 64 gb and also tried a Kingston micro SD card on my new Nokia 635 phone. When I checked the Storage Sense, it showed the SD card not found. I have tried many times without success. Any ideas or advises will be appreciate it.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi David. First of all make sure that the card is formatted on the phone. Go to settings then storage sense then click on SD card and scroll to the bottom. Hope that helps. Keep us updated

Forgot to mention...make sure the phone is off when you insert the memory card. Can make a big difference

Last edited by a moderator:

David Nguyen13

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I followed to your advices, after click on SD card and scroll to the bottom. Nothing happens, is there any way else to format the card. I tried to format the card by using my desktop computer with no result. My phome may be defective, thinking about return it.

xouceevang

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. Help!!! I tried formatting on the computer and it won't let me format on my phone cause it says sd card not found.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately a hard reset will usually solve this problem. However, I have seen complaints like this because people bought counterfeit SD cards too.

Nathaniel Johnson

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
My SD Card was purchased from Wal-Mart and it the Nokia Lumia 635 won't read it, I'm thinking the product is definitely defective and it needs to be fixed or to be recalled and rufunds given to those who wasted there money to buy it.

George Sloane

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem and tried formatting and installing various micro SD cards without luck. I also did a phone reset using the volume and power buttons but the micro card still was not detected. I had read somewhere that the only way was to do a full phone reset which is accessible via 'settings' on the phone. I did this but ensured my micro sd card was installed first. It worked. I lost some my imported pictures but not my contacts. The WP system needs tweeking.

Eric Murrell

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
The reset method just worked for me. I was searching for a fix because I too tried two different microSD cards and the phone didn't realize they were there. Once I did the phone reset, it recognized the card right away and I'm back in business. It is a pain and you do have to completely start over with the phone but it does work.

Eric

Ladyzoya

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I Have tried both factory reset and hard reset and still it didn't read my card. it worked perfectly well in my previous phones and has tonnes of pics stored on it which i hate to loose. Can anyone tell me exactly what they did in order to get the phone to read the card?

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter cause the Nokia Lumia 635 doesn't detect the card so.... Can't format what not there.

You seem quite quick to blame the phone in your posts. You don't know these phones are actually defective, it could just as easily be a software bug. I've had the same experience on other WPs where I had to full reset so the phone would be able to format the microSD as it needs. That means it's not necessarily the phone but software.

We need more information from affected people to find probable cause.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Another 635 data point. I installed a 16GB Samsung EVO microSD last week. No problems.

Something to check: make sure it's seated well w/o using too much force.

Last edited:

Brad Kona

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Got it, thanks..I formatted, unchecking quickl format box.Fat 32 was already selected..took a 1/2 hr.(8gig).Installed the S.D.card..no work..did a Hard Reset! Bingo!!
S.D. card detected..reinstalled all my stuff from the cloud..took a while, whew..all done. No wonder the t-mobile girls told me it has no S.D. card..what a movie! Aloha

JD_llama

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. I backed up my apps and settings to my Windows account under settings. I did the hard restart under settings>about. The restart didn't take long and during the process to re-install everything, it allowed me to use the backup I had made which restored my start screen tiles and apps so I wasn't out a whole lot. My phone had this problem the day I got it out of the box. So I didn't have a lot of stuff on my phone, but in any case, this seems to have worked. My phone now detects the card and so does my computer when I hook it up via USB.

Professor59

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm here because my new SD card (SanDisk 32GB) stopped working. It has been in my phone for a couple of days, and I moved all possible apps and music to it. It was fine for another day but when I turned it on this morning, all of those apps were greyed out tiles.
I rebooted a few times, then I pulled and reinserted the card a couple of times. No help.
I put it in my PC card reader and saw a long list of corrupted files. Just garbage characters in place of file names, dates, and sizes. It may have had something to do with adding some extra music yesterday or not, but now it looks like I'll have to wipe it and hard reset and see how far the restore gets me.
Wish me luck!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The manual says it supports SD cards up to 32GB, so I wouldn't expect the 64GB card to ever work.

I haven't read the manual, so can't speak to that. However, my Team Group 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 card works just fine for me. Been using it since I got the phone, never had a problem with it being recognized.

Back when I was using my Lumia 520, I had a 64GB card that got corrupted and would cause phone reboots and hangs. After working with the maker of the card for a couple of weeks doing troubleshooting (they kept the card while doing testing with it on Windows Phones), they determined it was because of a bad controller on the Memory card. An entire batch of cards tested bad and had to be recalled. I got a new card, but took me 4 weeks to get the replacement.

I'm not upset, though, as they followed through and I had a backup 16GB that was working for me in the meantime.

I'm not sure what everyone's problems are with this, or what in the world could cause a hard reset to recognize an SD card when it wasn't recognized "out of the box" on first phone use. Just doesn't make sense. Not saying it's wrong, just strange.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas