Lumia 635? Yes or No?

mart27

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I'm toying with the idea of switching to Windows Phone and quite like the look and feel of the Lumia 635. The price, design, 4G and new WP 8.1 all appeal to me.

The 635 is remarkably like an iPhone 5c to hold. I currently use an Android device, a Nexus 5 which I'm very happy with but slightly bored with at the same time.

I already use hotmail, onedrive and office as well as some Google services such as gmail. I have quite a bit of music bought via Google Play Music, is there any way to access this on WP?

I do use Google Now a lot for reminders along with Goggle Maps for sat nav. Is Cortana and Microsoft maps as good?

I'm not a big gamer but do like puzzle type games so I should be good for those.

The plan is, hopefully, to jump to the Lumia, sell the Nexus, pay off my contact and go SIM only. I'd save 25 a month by doing that.

Any advice or guidance would be very welcome.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I myself detest Google so it was ez to sacrifice the few apps I bought and leave to another OS, so I don't know if you can access your Google Play music on WP...I would say no just because of nature of ecosystems.

If you can live with the app gap and even gaps between other Lumia devices (Modern Combat won't play on 512MB devices but will on the 1GB ones--and will play on iPhone 4s wtf is that!) then you will be okay. But don't let anyone sugar coat this with clones or poor substitutes, the app gap is real and even the ones available cost money whereas on Android they're free (WPCental I'm looking at you).

Good luck on whatever you phone you choose.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
You'll be good. WP is slick and the app gap is closing every day. You've played enough with my phone, just remember to log in as yourself when you post on here.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I'm toying with the idea of switching to Windows Phone and quite like the look and feel of the Lumia 635. The price, design, 4G and new WP 8.1 all appeal to me. Welcome!

The 635 is remarkably like an iPhone 5c to hold. I currently use an Android device, a Nexus 5 which I'm very happy with but slightly bored with at the same time. the 635 is quite the step down from the Nexus 5, perhaps you can consider another phone a bit higher up, like the 820 or 920?

I already use hotmail, onedrive and office as well as some Google services such as gmail. I have quite a bit of music bought via Google Play Music, is there any way to access this on WP? Your MS stuff will fit well, basic Google stuff too (Gmail, Contacts..) but I highly doubt there's a way to get your music directly from Play Music considering its probably locked down and proprietary, disregarding Google's disdain for Windows Phone.

I do use Google Now a lot for reminders along with Goggle Maps for sat nav. Is Cortana and Microsoft maps as good?
Cortana is a sort of Siri/Now hybrid. I haven't used Google Now for a really long time, but I think they can be on-par, give or take.
Bing Maps/Nokia HERE Maps are competent, the bundled HERE Drive+ app is quite nice as a free SatNav addon. Offline maps are a nice touch too.

I'm not a big gamer but do like puzzle type games so I should be good for those.
For the most part, 3D games are more likely to not be available on your phone as its in the lower tier of Windows Phones. (512 MB RAM) Basic games should work, so I think you'll be OK unless you look for some fancy Modern Combat action.

The plan is, hopefully, to jump to the Lumia, sell the Nexus, pay off my contact and go SIM only. I'd save 25 a month by doing that.
That's a fine plan.

Any advice or guidance would be very welcome.

my input in bold above.

mart27

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I've looked at the app gap and I think I'd be ok. I mostly use web browsing, twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, some light gaming and news/sport apps so I should be 90% covered. The most important app for me is probably WhatsApp.

I know the 635 is a step down from the Nexus 5 but it's the price and value of the Lumia 635 that appeals to me and the monthly saving is good. I also really like the design of the 635 and love the green color, it's fresh and different and stands out.

I've had a play with a 625 and enjoyed it.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from an Android (Photon Q) to the 635 last week and I LOVE it! Even though it has half the RAM it runs so fast and smooth. There's been a couple of really specific apps that I can't get, but for myself, I have everything I need (with some acceptable adjustments). I do occasionally wish I had a few of my Android apps but it's nothing that interferes with my daily use of the phone. For example, I like the Android Pinterest app a lot, but the WP serves my needs just fine. That's one of those where it might not be quite like the old one, since in this case it slows me down slightly, but do I really need to pin 20 things in 30 seconds? Of course not.

It took a few days to get used to, but I really like the interface and how smooth and organized it is. Everything is so cohesive and connected.

I didn't use Google Now but when I first got my Android I used the navigation a few times and gave up because it always sent me to the wrong spot (real problem downtown). So far the Here navigation has been flawless. I really like that I can have the full map offline, too. I don't know if Google Maps had a way to do that, but I never found one.

I downloaded my Play music from the website and just transferred it over with the rest. I believe you have two downloads. Another option is to hunt through your phone for the songs you "pinned" to device. The file names will be numbers, but they're in there. Mine ended up randomly popping up on my SD card one time.

One thing I was concerned about at the beginning was battery life because the 635 didn't seem to last any longer than the old phone, but now that I am done with the initial constant use of learning how to use it and downloading apps, the battery life is great! According to Battery Saver it has been 15 hours since I took it off the charger and I still have 37%. That's with downloading a few apps, playing games, and organizing OneDrive folders, and uploading a bunch of pictures, plus with the wifi on all day.

One reason I went with this phone was that it was a pretty low investment with T-Mobile (just switched over for a cheaper plan as well) so I figured if I didn't like it I could just use it for now until I'm done with school and get something else. That isn't a problem. I am super glad I switched.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Same with me, I bought WP to get to the excellent data plans of T-Mobile but plan to stay with WP a while. I wonder if MSFT knows its phones are a kind of "dumb pipe" to T-Mobile services, lol.

wbknudsen

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I already use hotmail, onedrive and office as well as some Google services such as gmail. I have quite a bit of music bought via Google Play Music, is there any way to access this on WP?

There is an app called CloudMuzik its .99 and its not exactly Google Play Music but it does an OK job. I have All Access and it at least gives me access to my library.

mart27

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
It's good to see another person switching from Android and being happy with their choice.

Cloudmuzik seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I'm going to take the plunge on Tuesday when I get paid. All being well I'll be on WP and the Nexus will still quickly so I can ends the contract and save some money. I'm pretty excited about this switch actually.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's good to see another person switching from Android and being happy with their choice.

Cloudmuzik seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I'm going to take the plunge on Tuesday when I get paid. All being well I'll be on WP and the Nexus will still quickly so I can ends the contract and save some money. I'm pretty excited about this switch actually.

Keep us posted

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Not saying that Lumia 635 is bad however it is nowhere near beating the Nexus 5, in any regard(except price).

Would recommend sticking with the Nexus 5.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

mart27

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Not saying that Lumia 635 is bad however it is nowhere near beating the Nexus 5, in any regard(except price).

Would recommend sticking with the Nexus 5.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

I know what you are saying but there are two issues with that;

1) I want to save some money.
2) I want to switch to Windows Phone.

The Nexus 5 isn't all that. The battery life is atrocious, I can't make it through a full day at work without charging it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I know what you are saying but there are two issues with that;

1) I want to save some money.
2) I want to switch to Windows Phone.

The Nexus 5 isn't all that. The battery life is atrocious, I can't make it through a full day at work without charging it.

The saving money is a good reason, however the battery life is going to be improved drastically in Android L due to both Project Volta and the new Power Saver mode.

But you need to keep in mind the things you will sacrifice, a good camera, flash, 1080p screen, fast multitasking and scrolling, etc...

If you still want to switch to Windows Phone, that's your decision but other than saving money there is no good reason for doing so.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Got a 635 yesterday after using an iPhone 5s and Note 3 for a while. I understand all of your concerns.

Having experienced windows 8.1 for the first time yesterday, I can honestly say its easier than ever for someone to switch ecosystems. I like the new notification system. It feels like what WP should have been like from the start and I still don't understand why it wasn't. I loved the 920 but just couldn't get on board.

GoogleNow is amazing, and Nokia Maps has some cool features, but it is definitely subpar. However, it'll get the job done. I mean, do you REALLY need the GPS up once you know your route?

So far, Cortana seems REALLY good with voice recognition and search results from requested searched with voice input. Definitely better than Siri. Less effective than Google Now, but for a budget phone? It runs so smooth on it.

One thing is dislike is how the three keys are actually integrated with the screen instead of being on the phone. I hit the backspace all the time on the keyboard and it shoots me back out to the home screen.

Speaking of keyboard.....swype. Thank. God. (That point deserves its own paragraph)

Everything is fast and smooth, even with 512MB of RAM. You can't beat the price for the specs. I'd say go for it. You have nothing to lose due to the price of the phone!

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
GoogleNow is amazing, and Nokia Maps has some cool features, but it is definitely subpar. However, it'll get the job done. I mean, do you REALLY need the GPS up once you know your route?

!

In HERE Maps, if you touch on Start Navigation, it will launch HERE Drive+ and start your GPS along with turn by turn voice driving directions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)