Is there some trick to getting music onto my Lumia 635?

Shane Bryan

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Granted, my home PC is Windows 7 and the phone is WP8.1 but why is getting music onto my Lumia 635 so damn hard?

If I plug the phone into my PC, it shows up as a USB drive so I can drag music into the Music folder, but everything I copy comes up under the Music Player app as "Unknown Artist" even though everything appears properly in both the Windows Media Library and iTunes.

Secondly, the phone keeps creating these orphaned files. I delete an album, and there's 1 mp3 file it will not remove, it keeps appearing automatically.

I downloaded the Windows Phone desktop app that you can use for syncing and that's rubbish also. It lets you choose between your iTunes and WM libraries, but then when I select an album, then sync it, it never syncs all the tracks and continually throws up error messages.

At least I managed to pair it with the Bluetooth in my car, but man, copying stuff to this thing is really irritating me and the default music app (Xbox Music?) is rubbish.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to an article or provide some tips? Is there a decent alternative music player app available?

Chris Montesinos

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
It was a horrible experience for me as well. But you have to load them up to the windows phone app then check the boxes and hit sync.
And you cant rename the artist/song in the WP desktop app either!

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
All I've ever done was pop out my micro-SD card and copy MP3 files into the Music folder using regular file manager. All tagging works great (My MP3 collection is meticulously tagged). My complaint is that the random play feature on the Xbox music app seems to be poor. Last time I tried it, of the 3K or so songs on my PC it only played 3 out of about 20 songs that didn't begin with "R", "S", or "T".

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
For an alternative music player app, I'd suggest Mix Radio (formerly Nokia Mix Radio - Nokia Music).

And I don't even "pop out" my micro-SD card, I just plug in my 1520 to my win7 PC and the phone and it's card show in file explorer where I just drag and drop my music to the card.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, it's horrible. The music is tagged correctly but when copying it over to my Lumia 635's SD card via Windows Explorer the default music app shows everything under Unknown Artist - Unknown Album - Filename.mp3. ModernMusic does it right but I don't want to pay extra money for something as basic as a music player. I expect it to work flawlessly. Period.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Update: it works fine when I connect the phone to my Mac and use the Windos Phone Application for OS X in order to sync everything from iTunes.
It'd probably work under Windows 7 as well but I don't have iTunes on my Windows laptop thus I wanted to copy the files manually to no avail.

Shane Bryan

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the app recommendation. That, plus using Windows Media Player to do the sync fixed the issues. In the ModernMusic app everything is perfect, in the WP\Xbox Music app, nothing displays properly.

Demolished Man

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion of using mixradio - I hadn't realised it's basically the old Nokia music player. 10 years or more ago we went through this pain with tags in NMP but on my last Symbian phone I could throw anything at it and it would index them perfectly. Now here we are in 2014 and Xbox music on my (Nokia) Lumia 830 refuses to recognise about 7 of 4000+ tracks no matter how may times I tag them and copy them. And I think I got off lightly. Anyway, Mixradio (my music) sees them all fine. Cheers.

scanf

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Lol, yep same here. I am also on WP7 and it is a PAIN to get any media on this phone. Lord, don't try and use a song as a ringtone there are entire support pages dedicated to that, haha.

supersneak

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I copy music over in two ways.

I use the Windows Phone app to sync from an ITunes playlist on my iMac, and copy across ad hoc music files wirelessly using the Music Drop app.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Music drop is the answer. Its this neat app you can download off windows store. Its simple. You input the lp link from the app unto browser on computer. Grab music from your files and drop unto the browser and it will then be on your phone.

briankerrys47

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Simlar prob ,music syncs from my computer to phone but cannot play on phone due to 'message' file problem.only had Lumia a week! Also tried to down load ITunes that would not download.Any suggestions please

Tess Stinson

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I somehow managed to copy ringtones to my phone and no matter the method I use or the app I use, once they're on the phone, they simply refuse to position themselves in that Ringtones Custom list. Thus, I cannot assign them to ring. And I was so frustrated last night, I just began copying my 5 ringtones to every imaginable folder or place the phone would allow.

So if you get music (ringtones in this case) to the phone, how does one place them in the Ringtones, Custom list? Help, it's my first Windows phone, I'm so inept at this moment. :(

Thanks in advance,

Tess

drew_t

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
You have to connect the phone to your computer. Navigate to the phone's ringtones directory, then drag the sound files you want to use as ringtones into the folder from the desktop or wherever you have them.

Tess Stinson

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
The ringtones are On the phone, and on its SD card at the moment. What I can't manage is having them appear in that "Custom" section where you select ringtones. Is it clear as mud now? :)

Tess

UNIX based

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Ok there are two way you can get you music to play with the name and the artist and the album cover etc. Easiest way is to download Metro File manager and play it from there. The next way is kind of tedious but if you want to play it in a music player without Music Drop here is what you do. When you go to you music folder of your downloaded music on your computer before the actually title of the song does it have 01 then the next have 02 or 01-"Title" 02-"Title"? If so you are going to have to delete that for every song title. Thats what I did and the music showed up with the stock music player. Although it didn't work for all of the songs but it works for most but maybe i messed up on renaming some of the songs. No music sync applications needed just a file manager on you computer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos