Most stable OS version for Lumia 635

Hakeem Greeen

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I have browsed and read through the comments at WPC and I'm aware that The developer preview is expected to have bugs.
I think Microsoft did a great job with WP 8.1GDR1. I myself enjoy transitioning and trying new features but recently I found the bugs to be alot to handle. I was thinking about downgrading but since the Lumia 635 already came with 8.1 It's impossible to go below that.

I got the developers preview and upgrade to gdr1 the first day after getting my Lumia so I haven't really got the chance to test the software version that it came with.

So my question is the wp8.1 version that came preloaded more stable/less buggy than gdr1 on the developers preview? On my Lumia 521 I recall WP8.0 being the only/most stable version I know.

Do you guys think I should downgrade my Lumia to factory version or keep WP8.1 GDR1? What versions do you think are less buggy for the Lumia 635?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Never having installed the DP I cannot compare it directly but I can tell you this: been running the stock Windows Phone Cyan it came with I had exactly one phone crash in the last two months. The phone restarted for some reason unbeknownst to me but other than that it's been smooth sailing so far. It might be easier to give you a qualified answer if you point out what problems you're having and what bugs you're experiencing on DP.

Hakeem Greeen

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Never having installed the DP I cannot compare it directly but I can tell you this: been running the stock Windows Phone Cyan it came with I had exactly one phone crash in the last two months. The phone restarted for some reason unbeknownst to me but other than that it's been smooth sailing so far. It might be easier to give you a qualified answer if you point out what problems you're having and what bugs you're experiencing on DP.
ucbroswer, internet explorer and a couple more crash at least 5 times everyday. Apps seem unstable on gdr1 to me. My Lumia 521 had none of these problems on wp8 so I'm guessing it's 8.1. Is IE running smooth for you?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Mmm, I think I've only ever had one crash on 8.1 and it seems very stable to me. Both on my 630 & 930.

Wonder if its a phone issue?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
ucbroswer, internet explorer and a couple more crash at least 5 times everyday. Apps seem unstable on gdr1 to me. My Lumia 521 had none of these problems on wp8 so I'm guessing it's 8.1. Is IE running smooth for you?

Yes, I have yet to experience IE crash on my phone. The browser is not perfect and certainly has its flaws but those are either design flaws or simply bugs. It hasn't crashed for me yet but as far as I've heard it depends on the websites you're visiting. UCBrowser I haven't used much but as far as I remember it hasn't crashed for me either. Other apps are fine as well, no crashes during the day. I've had problems with MixRadio, it was the only app installed on my SD card and kept acting up - not starting properly, taking several minutes to start, etc. Ever since I've moved it back to my phone's internal memory I haven't had any problems with it anymore. Maybe that's your problem? Do you keep your apps on your SD card or your phone's internal memory?

Hakeem Greeen

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have yet to experience IE crash on my phone. The browser is not perfect and certainly has its flaws but those are either design flaws or simply bugs. It hasn't crashed for me yet but as far as I've heard it depends on the websites you're visiting. UCBrowser I haven't used much but as far as I remember it hasn't crashed for me either. Other apps are fine as well, no crashes during the day. I've had problems with MixRadio, it was the only app installed on my SD card and kept acting up - not starting properly, taking several minutes to start, etc. Ever since I've moved it back to my phone's internal memory I haven't had any problems with it anymore. Maybe that's your problem? Do you keep your apps on your SD card or your phone's internal memory?

I install most of them on my SD card to save space. I guess I'll try moving them to my internal memory to see if it resolves any issues.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the 635 and I've had no problems that I can remember.

The only app that gives me some trouble is Fhotolens.
I like to shoot and render HDR photos with it.

Moving the app to the phone helped it a lot.

For myself I'm staying away from any updates outside official releases.
Problems with DP8.1 on a couple of my other phones caused a lot of grief here.

Good luck there...

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Have about 42 apps on my phone. Have all but three (can't be installed to SD card) on the SD card. No problems with any of them.

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I had to get a better SD card. Had issues with slow apps and freezing when installing apps. I got a Samsung pro SD card with a 50 MB read/write (-ish). I'm also running the DP on a 635.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb