Im trying to understand this workaround for apps not in the store....

barbaro123

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
So I went to the MS store locally and got to use a 635. I loved it. My hesitation involves the apps missing from the store. The lady working there told me its a non issue because she goes to the webite site of whatever she needs and pins that to the screen, thus making her own app. Does that really working on anything? It almost seemed too easy. If I want my bank, PNC, can I just go to PNC.com and pin it? How about tinder? Does it work that easily for anything? I was skeptical so I held off until I could get help from you guys...Thanks

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I bank with Navy Federal. I've pinned the website to my start screen. I even cut and pasted the logo so it look like an official app. It really does feel like an app, yet I know I'm getting the full functionality of the website because that's what I'm actually using. I've used it for others that have web wrappers for apps for a better user experience. You'll find you're really not compromising on website apps.

barbaro123

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there any site that won't work on? I just couldn't image it could be that easy. I would think that missing apps become irrelevant if you can always do this.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
As long as the website has a "mobile" version of their site, you're good to go. Otherwise, you're pinning the desktop website. Most of the time, the mobile version of a site is exactly like an app in terms of functionality, though apps might have fancier "buttons" or what not that make it look a little smoother. But hey, as long as it works for what you want it to do, then it's the same end result.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Is there any site that won't work on? I just couldn't image it could be that easy. I would think that missing apps become irrelevant if you can always do this.

Obviously with something like Tinder that doesn't run on the web that won't work, though there's a tinder client called 6tin that actually has more features than the real thing.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
And here's a tip for pinning websites; If you "un-pinch" to zoom in on a particular picture/image of a web site, say the site's logo, and hit "pin to start", it will pin whatever you're zoomed in on, on the newly pinned tile.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
This is a good workaround, especially since some WP apps I see are just 'wraps' of mobile websites (yelp, etc) so it also saves space on a phone with 8gb onboard storage like the 635. The only thing I find that is a bit of a drag is the banking sites. Since many of the dedicated apps have the ability to deposit a check via a picture, you can't do that via the mobile web site. Other than that I find it very useful and the mobile web usually runs quicker than the apps with the overhead anyway.
'

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I personally bought Webapps and it's absolutely great. With an in-app purchase you can then add your own Webapps.

There are so many webapps that I don't see any platform being app-centrist anymore.

As someone else said, my bank's webapp is pinned because there are no app and it doesn't change anything for me compared to my days on iOS and Android.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know how to change the logo. I love pinned sites.

Skinery Themes app is a great tool to create awesome looking tiles for pinned sites. Just do a Bing search for any logo, save the picture, and you can apply the picture to the tile that you create. It looks very professional.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Pinned apps are merely favorites or bookmarks and are no substitute for real apps sadly.

That depends, really. Some mobile versions of websites are quite well designed and are very useful alternatives in the absence of an official app.

Unfortunately, Apple has turned us all into retards and have caused us to think that if it can't be accessed via an app, it can't be done.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
That depends, really. Some mobile versions of websites are quite well designed and are very useful alternatives in the absence of an official app.

Unfortunately, Apple has turned us all into retards and have caused us to think that if it can't be accessed via an app, it can't be done.

Exactly! More and more websites can be run on mobile phones and their functionnalities are growing with HTML5 and other recent technologies. In 5 years time I don't think we'll still be bothered about apps as much.

anon8433722

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

There are some really well designed, inviting mobile sites. However, mobile apps can augment that experience if they are coded properly. I enjoy apps as much as the next person, but if the functionality is limited and the website is more accessible, I'll use it. Apps also cut down on obtrusive ads, layouts that were not designed to be mobile-friendly, and provide a less barren user experience.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
There are some really well designed, inviting mobile sites. However, mobile apps can augment that experience if they are coded properly. I enjoy apps as much as the next person, but if the functionality is limited and the website is more accessible, I'll use it. Apps also cut down on obtrusive ads, layouts that were not designed to be mobile-friendly, and provide a less barren user experience.

Unfortunately, all of this will be less and less true in my opinon. The websites are more and more capable in terms of functionalities and as far as ads, unless you buy an app, a lot of times, you already have ads. But that model (buying an ad-free access) is not incompatible with a web app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo