Impressed with this little phone

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have dropped mine twice now on the streets from about 4ft and only ended up with a few corner dings...so yes and the best thing about it is the back casing is easily replaceable and cheap $$!

I was considering this phone after the digitizer on my L925 gave out, but went with the 920 instead :D Simply needed a cheap phone with enough ram to get me through 2015, so I could start 2016 with a W10 device

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Picked one up for $40 on black Friday to replace the 521 I was using for work (Wifi only). Even without activating the phone I am already thinking about using my next T-Mobile JUMP on this one (assuming a higher-end Lumia doesn't appear on T-Mobile in the next few months). The aluminum of the iPhone and M8 is the "in" thing right now, but I still love the look of plastic phones.

sarathizen

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok, loaded question, but i gotta ask. How is it poor in the "smartphone-ness" and not a pocket computer like an iphone or an android? I've used all three platforms and find them all very similar in what they can do.

it is not what they can do but how well it is doing that. Take Hub in blackberry as an example that alone stops me from using windows as my primary phone.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
it is not what they can do but how well it is doing that. Take Hub in blackberry as an example that alone stops me from using windows as my primary phone.

Makes sense, if it can't cover your needs a person has to use something else. Nice having choices. Hopefully this platform will continue to grow and evolve.

Luis Orellana

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
That is so interesting that you did the opposite of what I did. I have the 635 but recently I got the 920 at a good price online and using that one now. It does heat up a lot more than the 635 though like you said.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Well in just over a month, my wife has shattered the screen on her 635 and is now on the second one I bought as a backup.....LOL!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well in just over a month, my wife has shattered the screen on her 635 and is now on the second one I bought as a backup.....LOL!

That's why I bought a tempered glass screen protector for mine. You can keep the "fashion" over function for her that way, and still protect that precious screen. Also, for my mother-in-law, bought a tempered glass screen protector and a "pink" armor case to protect from serious damage. She loves it. She has to be able to wear it on her belt while at work, and the armor case came with holster with belt clip. When she's not at work, she leaves the holster at home and throws the phone in her purse.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

And while that sucks that it happened, it's nice that the back up phone wasn't an old piece of junk. It turns into a "Dang-it" moment, and you just keep going. No big deal.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even bat an eye lash. I was more irritated that I had to deal with the blister pack to open the new phone more than anything.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Had this phone a while now, pretty tidy and sturdy nice looking Lumia. Lots of comments from the iphone guys, and they were impressed with its looks and the apps in general ( MS must be doing something right).

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm out of 635's. Wife destroyed second one recently. Dropped it and screwed up the power button. My old 920 is now on death watch as that's what she's using now.

Good news is that if I decide to buy another backup 635, I now have 2 new batteries and 2 extra chargers :)

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Got a 630 off CL for $43. I'm happy with it. I use it as a Wi-Fi device, and only need to install an SD to really make me smile.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
How is the build quality? I'm considering getting the 635 but I'm concerned that there's no tap-to-wake (due to no ambient sensor). The power/lock button on the 521 I'm thinking of replacing is not the sturdiest. My wife's 521 power button is pretty much dead. Without tap-to-wake it's even more of a concern!

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't find a TTW setting on the 635. I was looking for it, trying to find a workaround to the power button not working.

Build quality is decent. Not flagship quality, but good. You can buy the ATT variant @ Wally World for $49, so you're not out of much when you wing it across the parking lot in a fit of rage. The screen gets nasty quick from finger prints/oils. No protective layer like with more expensive phones. Put a screen protector on it and call it good :)

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I got one in anticipation of W10. It's a very capable little device. For the miniscule $69 I paid at a Microsoft Store, I can't complain. Got this device the day after my mother died to console myself with electronics. Think it'll be a device that joins the "Pull out battery, never sell" group.

Like the colored shell options too. Change theme, change shell!
Sorry for your loss, a mothers love is a difficult thing to replace.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I got one in anticipation of W10. It's a very capable little device. For the miniscule $69 I paid at a Microsoft Store, I can't complain. Got this device the day after my mother died to console myself with electronics. Think it'll be a device that joins the "Pull out battery, never sell" group.

Like the colored shell options too. Change theme, change shell!
Condolences on your loss.:unhappy:

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I bought one as a GoPhone from Amazon for $49, came in today, updating it to Windows 10. Coming from about 4 years on iOS, I have a bit to learn about the Windows Phone environment, so I figured I might as well start with Windows 10, for what it is right now. Before going through the Windows 10 update I was messing around with it... it's not so bad, seems pretty peppy and responsive. Can't wait to see what Windows 10 will do on this thing....

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I was planning on a 520 until the 635 came out. It was 7x better than I thought (believe me, I did the math). The speed was faster than I ever wanted, the durability top notch (dropped it on gravel road and promptly stepped on it, nothing broken). My only current issue is not being on the first W10 wave. Wait, my phone is supported? I'll be right back...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos