SD card question...

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody here installed absolutely everything on an SD card? I mean leaving the internal memory completely untouched, I'm wondering if this makes a difference in overall performance...

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
That's impossible m8, some developers don't allow installation on SD cards. But I installed most of my apps on a SD card. Overall performance is just like that.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Basically the overall performance will not become better because the read/write performance of the internal memory is faster than an SD card. But if you place everything on internal memory and there is "no room" left the performance will decrease because it needs free space.
Now if you use a good (class 10 SD) you also will not see less performance compared with internal memory. Maybe you notice the difference if you do video editing because this involves a lot of read/write.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for the response, although everything mentioned I already knew. I guess my real question should have been; at what capacity (% wise) does the internal memory become too full that it becomes a hindrance to performance?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
In another thread I read that someone left always more than 600 Mb free and with this he never had problems. But it depends what you are doing so it may be difficult to give a real number. The only way will be if you try it yourself. Furthermore if there is a firmware update it needs storage space and if there is not enough a failure code may appear.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the response, although everything mentioned I already knew. I guess my real question should have been; at what capacity (% wise) does the internal memory become too full that it becomes a hindrance to performance?

After conducting various tests, I have concluded that you should keep at least 5% free space on the SD card. If you use more than 95% of the card, you will face performance issues, with frequent lagging.

Note: All tests were conducted on class 10 micro SD cards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos