Why can't I back up my Nokia 635 phone to OneDrive?

Roofman99

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Can't Back up my Nokia 635 phone to OneDrive

I have a Nokia Lumina 635, the first windows phone for me. It?s four months old and I have never managed to get it to back up. When I select back up it go to about 93% then gives me an error message and says try again later.
I have a OneDrive account and every photograph I take it backed up to this, that?s great.
I would like to back up my calendar and the phone its self, as any major problems I will lose all the settings.
When I first installed OneDrive I must have clicked on something I should not have done as it started to create copies of all my folders from my PC. (Windows 7) I had to pull the plug on this as it was creating copies from all my 6 hard drives. At some point the sim card would have been filled up.
I then deleted about 150 folders from the phone and in doing so possibly deleted something that would have allowed my Phone to back up. And also possibly my calendar.
Can anyone tell me what I should do.
How does one instruct my phone to back up selected items.
The only folder I am sure that?s working is the ?Camera Roll?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't Back up my Nokia 635 phone to OneDrive

How much OneDrive (cloud) space do you have left online?
Try deleting any old back-ups that exist.

You should have been moved up to the free 15 GB from 7 GB on your account.

Roofman99

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

How do I do a hard re-set, I have not see any options for backup all I have is an option to back up Apps+settings, Text messages, and Photo & Videos. All switched on

Roofman99

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Hi Guytronic, The full details are as follows:-
Nokia Phone Sim has 2.38GB remaining out of 7.28GB, I had fitted an additional SD Card that has 14.3Gb free if 14.9Gb
The OneDrive has 28.8GB free. - I have already deleted the Recycle bin
The hard reset you suggest is there any risk in doing this? I have no backups
Should I have a specific folder for backups withing OneDrive, with the exception of the ones I have created the only other one is “Camera Roll”

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Hi Guytronic, The full details are as follows:

In the past I've had back-ups stall before finishing.
When I restored "apps and settings" from the most recent back up that stalled:
The startscreen returned with and the apps on the phone restored along with contacts, text conversation etc...

Just last night I hard reset my 925 again.
All my contacts, e-mails and saved texts returned that were saved to the MS account associated with the phone.
When hard resetting without restoring you will lose pictures and documents not saved to OneDrive.

Are all your back-ups gone from OneDrive?

Capture.JPG

Roofman99

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guytronic
Thanks for you for help with my problems. Your illustration showing One Drive > Options has pointed in the location of the Device backups, something I had not found before.
And mine does contain one backup listing being: Nokia 635 - saying last backup 16/12/2014. How long this has been there I don?t know. Does each backup always get over written each time? Perhaps this has been doing this all the time. Looking at the phone it still displays ?Last backed up about 4 months ago? that?s a bit confusing.

I tried another backup from my Nokia 635 earlier today and again went to 96% completed, ending with the with the usual message try again later.

Whilst viewing OneDrive from my PC I have also discovered clicking on the dotted square at the top left of the screen I can view my Calendar (as it?s displayed on my PC). So I assume that this is how both my Nokia 635 & Desktop PC keep synchronised.

You suggested that I should: Hard reset is found by going to /settings/about/reset phone
I will use the guide: Reset you Lumia tomorrow evening and see what happens. (I don?t want to upset my phone for tomorrow as I will require it all day).

I see from your illustration you had 2 more backups that me: Microsoft Corporation (BTAB) whatever that is and DellInc etc. I only seem to have the one.

Being new to this my first Windows phone I have not yet used it for any other Microsoft software products (Word, Excel etc)

I will await your reply before asking another query I have - all connected

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey there Roofman!

The other two back-ups in the picture are from Windows tablets I have backing up to the same account.

Something else you may try is if you have apps installed on the SD in the phone try moving them back to the phone.
After doing this shut off the phone remove the SD boot the phone and retry the back up.

See if the back-up completes after doing this.
You can always recover any apps previously owned from the store if any of them end up missing.

Just guessing here I think this back-up bug stems from something happening with using an SD in these phones.
I had the SD card erroring with my 635 a while back.

I was being lazy and not safely removing the usb connection properly from my PC.
After this rebooting the phone with the card in I got the "scan for errors" message before the start up.
Got tired of that so I saved everything off the card reformatted and remounted in the phone.
Voila...fixed!

Ah one other note!
Be sure to back-up over wifi and make sure all apps are closed.

wp_ss_20141216_0001[1].png

Just tried a back-up to double check and it backs up in about 3 minutes time.

bburg

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guytronic
Thanks for you for help with my problems. Your illustration showing One Drive > Options has pointed in the location of the Device backups, something I had not found before.
And mine does contain one backup listing being: Nokia 635 - saying last backup 16/12/2014. How long this has been there I don’t know. Does each backup always get over written each time? Perhaps this has been doing this all the time. Looking at the phone it still displays “Last backed up about 4 months ago” that’s a bit confusing.

I tried another backup from my Nokia 635 earlier today and again went to 96% completed, ending with the with the usual message try again later.

Whilst viewing OneDrive from my PC I have also discovered clicking on the dotted square at the top left of the screen I can view my Calendar (as it’s displayed on my PC). So I assume that this is how both my Nokia 635 & Desktop PC keep synchronised.
Had this problem also on my Lumia 630. This is what I did:

• First delete the backup from your phone (manage backup).
  • Soft reset your phone.
  • Correct date and time.
  • Connect the phone to the power adapter.
  • Do make your backup (backup now).

Roofman99

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
After 9 months of trying everything I have now managed to back up my phone for the first time.
I expect many of you also receive updates for various applications some that you may not wish to have. I have till now always rejected the social media ones and a few others that I never intend to use. I could not however find away of deleting the ones I had in my ever increasing list of ones I did not want. One day I was so fed up with them I accepted and download all. Having done this my backup worked.
Perhaps someone will know the reason.

MonicaHoliday

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Go to "All apps" > "Settings" on the home screen of your Windows phone. After the settings list is shown, scroll down to find "email + accounts" under the "accounts" list. Choose "Add an account" > "Outlook.com". Then, in the next window, you will see the interface below, which shows you that it can automatically save your photos to OneDrive, sync your text messages and back up phone settings and app data. You can choose "Yes" to start the backup or "Not now" to stop it.

Hauwa Chindaya

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site

Hi Guytronic, The full details are as follows:-
Nokia Phone Sim has 2.38GB remaining out of 7.28GB, I had fitted an additional SD Card that has 14.3Gb free if 14.9Gb
The OneDrive has 28.8GB free. - I have already deleted the Recycle bin
The hard reset you suggest is there any risk in doing this? I have no backups
Should I have a specific folder for backups withing OneDrive, with the exception of the ones I have created the only other one is “Camera Roll”

Can't also backup my Nokia Lumia 625H . It says we can't connect to OneDrive to backup update your phone and try again. What should I do to fix this error?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster