Will Walmart family plan provide OTA WP updates ?

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've purchased the unlocked Lumia 635, and going to try it with Walmart family plan. I wonder, if I get any updates (8.1 update 1, etc. all the way to WP10) while being on this plan?
I don't really understand how updates are issued. Looks like joint effort by MS and service provider.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If your phone is unlocked you get the updates from Microsoft. So nothing to do with the WalMart family plan. On you phone under SETTINGS go to PHONE UPDATES to manual check on updated.

But your phone will also check regular on updates and will inform you if there is a update.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think walmart is a carrier. I suspect they go through another carrier like sprint. Who ever they go through may have some say in the updates.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think walmart is a carrier. I suspect they go through another carrier like sprint.

Walmart uses T-Mobile's service. I haven't used one of their Family Mobile branded phones, but I would assume they're SIM locked. As far as carrier branding and updates, I have no clue how that works.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I think Walmart is using T-mo towers, though not sure. Doesn't matter, MS or T-Mobile, I'll get updates then. Thanks again!

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If its T-Mobile and AT&T offers the same phone, you can actually switch to the AT&T rom and it will work. A number of people did that with the 925 before T-Mobile released it.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
If its T-Mobile and AT&T offers the same phone, you can actually switch to the AT&T rom and it will work. A number of people did that with the 925 before T-Mobile released it.

Why would I need to switch to ATT rom? My phone is factory unlocked. I just wondered if I get WP updates on it. From replies I understood that yes, I'll get updates from MS, and it won't have anything to do with my current service provider.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Why would I need to switch to ATT rom? My phone is factory unlocked. I just wondered if I get WP updates on it. From replies I understood that yes, I'll get updates from MS, and it won't have anything to do with my current service provider.

You don't. Leave the phone as is. You'll get updates.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is unlocked, the carrier it is used on has zero impact on updates.

I don't know what Wal-mart does, but its probably a rebranded something phone, so I don't think Wal-mart has an impact, whoever powers their service does. Which probably isn't going to be different than the non-Wal-mart offerings.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If for some reason T-Mobile is holding back your updates, you could get the AT&T rom if they released it. Back when AT&T released the 925 update, many T-Mobile users did exactly that. After many months of waiting T-Mobile finally released their 925 update and some switched back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes