Best US carrier for Nokia Lumia 635?

Sameer Modasra

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm planning on buying the Lumia 635 but I wanted to see if you guys knew which US carrier was the best with windows updates. I've read maybe one or two things online about AT&T being the best providing windows updates. Let me know what you guys have experienced or know?

I'm leaning towards AT&T because I've seen some good news about AT&T with windows phones. What about 4G LTE coverage? Would you recommend AT&T for good coverage?

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It has varied widely in the past, and varied between models, but if updates are important to you in the US, I'd get it unlocked direct from Nokia/MS and without any carrier branding and fluff. It'll cost more, but then you dont have a carrier to mess with your updates and brand your phone. (although some stuff might not work but thats not likely to be an issue.)
If you want Sprint though, you dont have an option.
T-Mobile's 635 has Wi-Fi calling IIRC, and no other non-T-Mo would have that.

AntiAB

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
AT&T best when it comes to updates. T-Mobile is cheap. Sprint is just plain garbage. Verizon.......... No. CricKet now owned by AT&T uses AT&T towers and what not and is cheap.

Sameer Modasra

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Original Poster here,

I'm leaning towards AT&T because I've seen some good news about AT&T with windows phones unless you guys have any really bad experiences. What about 4G LTE coverage as well? Would you recommend AT&T for good coverage?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Original Poster here,

I'm leaning towards AT&T because I've seen some good news about AT&T with windows phones unless you guys have any really bad experiences. What about 4G LTE coverage as well? Would you recommend AT&T for good coverage?

AT&T is probably the best overall - being first to release Windows Phone 8.1 Update 3 + Lumia Black to the 1020 in the world, yet being dead last by months to release 8.0 GDR2 + Lumia Amber to the 920 and 820.

I would try to get a non-branded factory unlocked phone if you could. or maybe flash the phone you get to a different region, but that depends on the model I think.
Coverage depends on your location, its good enough for me, although I have my 920 on 3G. AT&T and Verizon are the two biggest carriers here stateside and while Verizon has the most expansive network overall IIRC, AT&T is no slouch and does well as well. T-Mobile on the other hand isn't as great, but can have great deals that push the others to respond.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Original Poster here,

AT&T is probably the best with Windows Phone. However, their coverage isn't nearly as good as Verizon. But since a Verizon variant was never made, AT&T is probably your best bet. If you want to go cheaper, their subsidiary Cricket also has the 635. Cricket's plans are a great value, and it uses AT&T's network

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
AT&T by far the best with Windows Phones in the USA, and coverage is only second to Verizon. Updates come fast. There are quite a few MVNOs using the AT&T network and that means you can use any GoPhone on them without unlocking. I have used my Lumia 635 GoPhone purchased for $39.95 (Black Friday deal) on H2O and it has worked great and the updates come fast too--seemingly just as fast as my wife's Lumia 520 on GoPhone. GoPhone (run by AT&T) is worth checking out with service almost as good as AT&T postpaid, but cheaper and no contracts. You get full-speed LTE too. H2O now has full-speed LTE as well. Cricket is throttled LTE at 8mbps maximum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos