03-15-2015 01:07 PM
51 123
tools
    What are your love and hates on the Lumia 635? I want to try something new so I'm considering the 635 as a beginner Windows device. I'm currently rolling with a BlackBerry Q10 and have never actually made a move to something else. Do you think that would be a good starter device for me?
    02-07-2015 01:20 AM
    02-07-2015 01:28 AM
    Bought my brother one was his daily driver until I bought him a Lumia 735.
    He said (his opinion)
    -it was speedy and fluid (SD 400)
    - good size (4.5) screen resolution not bad
    - No FFC
    - 512 MB Memory
    - 8GB Storage
    - Good build quality lol he had the white one dropped it so many times not a scratch :O
    02-07-2015 01:31 AM
    Bought my brother one was his daily driver until I bought him a Lumia 735.
    He said (his opinion)
    -it was speedy and fluid (SD 400)
    - good size (4.5) screen resolution not bad
    - No FFC
    - 512 MB Memory
    - 8GB Storage
    - Good build quality lol he had the white one dropped it so many times not a scratch :O
    Nokia's are pretty durable indeed and thanks for telling me his review. I found one brand new for $50 on Ebay :)
    02-07-2015 01:41 AM
    Thank you
    02-07-2015 01:43 AM
    Nokia's are pretty durable indeed and thanks for telling me his review. I found one brand new for $50 on Ebay :)
    Durable yeah
    Starter Phone yes
    Daily Driver I don't know but my brother didn't really care he only cared about not having a FFC. Or on a budget.
    Hmmm unlocked?
    02-07-2015 01:54 AM
    no front facing camera... it really bothers me.. and the glossy yellow case is kinda sticky
    02-07-2015 10:00 AM
    no front facing camera... it really bothers me.. and the glossy yellow case is kinda sticky
    I ordered the Blue 635 for $50 total on Ebay. I think I'll like it a lot
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-07-2015 08:56 PM
    730.....coming from a 1520...clear black display is amazing...speed is wow too..
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    02-09-2015 02:07 PM
    Upgraded to the Lumia 635 from the iPhone 6+

Pros:
    affoardable, durable, Cortana, Windows 8.1, clear black display
    Cons:
    No front facing camera, camera requires perfect lighting to produce good photos, a little laggy at times
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    02-09-2015 03:30 PM
    Broke my iPhone 5s, and I didn't want to pay for a brand new 6. I went to Tmob and figured I would get a windows phone to hold me over until the 6s comes out. For what its worth, heres my quick review :

First they tried to talk me into a android. Atleast the Tmob guy said he loves windows phone, just the android was cheaper. When I used to be at Verizon they would flat out laugh if I mentioned I wanted a windows phone.

The 635 is actually a nice phone for $99. I don't notice any pixel issues, and it looks basically the same as my iPhone. Seems very quick, no lagging. Calls seems good - and i get better reception then my iPhone. I remember when I did the Tmob test drive they told me iPhones don't get as good of a signal then windows phone. They actually recommended I test drove a windows phone instead of a iPhone. Camera is okay, nowhere near a iPhone but i never really took many pictures besides basic ones. If I want a professional photo I have a camera for that. I wish I had a flash for a flashlight! Battery life is better then my iPhone. The plastic case feels great, and I am surprised I enjoy the brick feeling of the phone compared to my beautiful to stare at yet slippery iPhone.

Lets talk about Apps. I have been able to find every app I used on my iPhone - about 30 apps. The only difference is some of the apps charge when they are free on the iPhone. Also some of the apps are built by other people and are knock offs that function okay but not as good as the normal iPhone ones. A example of this is my starbucks app. For windows phone its call Starbux , which looks identical to the iPhone starbucks app but it is glitchy and all the words are changed around so I assume they don't get sued lol.

My only real complaint is that Microsoft needs to do a much better job of guiding through the setup of the phone. A iPhone just works with 5-10 min of setup. My windows phone took 2 hours to organize, setup multiple emails and social accounts. Frustrating when i have to look everything up also online - no easy instructions to go from iPhone to windows phone quickly.
    02-09-2015 06:02 PM
    As it was made, there really isn't much to not like. It's hard not to like it because it doesn't have a FFC or a flash. Buy something else if you want these items. It's like saying I dislike it because it didn't come with a free car or an xbox one. I knew what it's hardware limitations were when I bought it, and for me, it has been and still is a great phone.
    02-10-2015 11:50 AM
    I have been looking for a cheap Windows phone to mess with but the selection is rather poor This phone has just 512Mb ram and no flash or front camera. It also isn't very attractive like the majority of Lumina phones. My other option which is the Blu Win HD but it has a poor processor and people are complaining about performance.

Is this phone the best option on T-Mobile in a price range of 50-150?
    02-16-2015 09:34 PM
    New=Yes. Used=no.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-17-2015 02:01 AM
    I have been looking for a cheap Windows phone to mess with but the selection is rather poor This phone has just 512Mb ram and no flash or front camera. It also isn't very attractive like the majority of Lumina phones. My other option which is the Blu Win HD but it has a poor processor and people are complaining about performance.

Is this phone the best option on T-Mobile in a price range of 50-150?
    I am also on the hunt for a cheap Windows phone and I was thinking the Blu or the 635.. I guy at work has the Blu and loves it... This is strictly a fool around phone. I want to put it on Net 10 as the reception is great in my building.... I do love that the Blu is made in America.... so many First world problems..... LOL
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    02-17-2015 10:53 AM
    I love the look and feel of the Blu but IIRC it's not LTE on T-Mobile.

I really like the 635. It offers a great deal of value for the dollar and the camera is fine for casual snapshots.
    02-18-2015 09:57 AM
    The internals of the blu make it not worth the price. The 635 has a better processor and gpu and cost half the price. The only thing it only has 512 MB ram. I still don't understand why they are still making phones like that. It cannot cost much more to include 1gb.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    02-18-2015 10:45 AM
    The internals of the blu make it not worth the price. The 635 has a better processor and gpu and cost half the price. The only thing it only has 512 MB ram. I still don't understand why they are still making phones like that. It cannot cost much more to include 1gb.
    I hear a lot about the 512MB "issue". What I can say is I've owned a 635 for about 7 months now and have not had any problems running any of the apps that I use. There likely are conditions where this would be a problem, but I've never run into them. Bottom line: I'm very satisfied with the 635.
    02-18-2015 11:54 AM
    I love the look and feel of the Blu but IIRC it's not LTE on T-Mobile.

I really like the 635. It offers a great deal of value for the dollar and the camera is fine for casual snapshots.
    I've got LTE on TMo with my at&t branded unlocked L635, what the heck are you talking about.
    02-18-2015 12:01 PM
    I've got LTE on TMo with my at&t branded unlocked L635, what the heck are you talking about.
    Phillip Hamm's LTE comment was about Blu not the 635. Apparently the Blu/T-Mobile does not support LTE. The 635 does.
    Last edited by Dave47; 02-18-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-18-2015 12:11 PM
    The Blu does not have any LTE on it.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    02-18-2015 03:15 PM
    I hear a lot about the 512MB "issue". What I can say is I've owned a 635 for about 7 months now and have not had any problems running any of the apps that I use. There likely are conditions where this would be a problem, but I've never run into them. Bottom line: I'm very satisfied with the 635.
    I have used the lumia 521 in the past and that phone keeps bringing up a resuming message. From what I understand it is because of a lack of memory. I am sure the lumia 635 behaves the same. It is just too slow for me. I want things to be at least near instant like it is on Android. One reason why I hated webOS.
    02-18-2015 03:18 PM
    Since getting my Surface Pro 3 over the holidays I've been thinking of making the switch to Windows phone from android to keep everything on one platform. The other day I saw that E-Bay was selling the 520 for $30.00 so I ordered it then someone here told me about the 635 since I was thinking of trying Win10TP. Last night I went to Best Buy and picked one up for $40.00 (I had a $10.00 BB coupon). This is going to give me an inexpensive way to see if I'm going to be happy with Windows phone & Windows 10.

Setting up the device and installing Win10TP went very smooth. Just like when I switched from BlackBerry to Android 2 years ago it will take a little getting used to the differences. I don't expect any real surprises.

Over the next few days I will install the apps I use on a daily basis and see how they perform on Windows. One app I am pleasantly surprised with is Evernote. I use this several times a day at work and it's actually better on Windows then Android, at least for me. On the 635 I actually see a preview of the PDF file whereas on Android I didn't, I just saw the file name.

The only downside for me is the size. Coming from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (5.5") there is a bit of a size difference. But if I stick with Windows phone this won't be my main device. I think once Windows 10 is released we will see some great new devices.

I'm looking forward to putting this device/OS to work.

ADDED: I wish the power button was on the top or the left side. Being left handed I hold the phone in my right hand and use my left so I wind up hitting the power button occasionally.
    Last edited by eds817; 02-19-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    02-19-2015 07:18 AM
    635 is a nice device, love the size nearly same as my BlackBerry Z10 :)

Paid 90 Euro new, unlocked in germany

No joy downloading W10 preview though, it's somehow not available here in germany

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    02-19-2015 07:23 AM
    As unlocked phone, 635 is overpriced. OS aside, Moto G gen 2 gives more hardware for same money.
    For $120 unlocked it would be a great buy. So hungryshark got a good deal.
    For $179, as it is priced now in US, I'd expect it to have 2Mp frontcam plus LED flash for the back one.

But most of people get it with contract anyway.
    02-19-2015 10:56 AM
51 123