Lumia 635's pretty sweet... but I kinda need that 1GB RAM, will I lose LTE if I get the Lumia 638?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am having the hardest time finding out what bands the Lumia 638 operates on.

The form factor of the 638 is wonderful, it complements my Surface Pro 3 well, it's zippy and has good battery life, the SD400 surprised me because I thought this would have an S4 or S4+ for sure... didn't expect to have wireless Screen Sharing on such a low cost device at all!

... but the 512MB is killin' me. Absolutely killin' me. Will I sacrifice LTE on AT&T US if I sell the 635 towards a 638?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having the hardest time finding out what bands the Lumia 638 operates on.

The form factor of the 638 is wonderful, it complements my Surface Pro 3 well, it's zippy and has good battery life, the SD400 surprised me because I thought this would have an S4 or S4+ for sure... didn't expect to have wireless Screen Sharing on such a low cost device at all!

... but the 512MB is killin' me. Absolutely killin' me. Will I sacrifice LTE on AT&T US if I sell the 635 towards a 638?

According to this source, the L635 comes either with 512MB or with 1GB of RAM.

According to this source, the L638 can operate under LTE bands. Availability may depends on the configuration of your SIM or the quality of the network signal in your area.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity OP, is there a reason you need 1GB ram? You mentioned in the very last of your thread that 512MB was not cutting the mustard.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity OP, is there a reason you need 1GB ram? You mentioned in the very last of your thread that 512MB was not cutting the mustard.
Games, mostly. The Lumia 830 showed me that the SD400 was more than capable of handling WPs higher end games... but with the 830 being a 720p screen, the models in Chaos Rings were glitched (that's about the only reason I went back to my 820).

I'm basically just trying to side-grade from the Lumia 820 to a phone that's entirely the same, but has screen sharing and the design language of the Surface Pro 3.

Didn't expect to like the 635 enough to consider any edition of it for a daily driver... but since it compliments my SPro3's HW design so well and has screen sharing, all it's missing is 1GB so I can play games like Mass Effect Infiltrator, Chaos Rings, NOVA 3, Dark Knight Rises, etc.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Games, mostly. The Lumia 830 showed me that the SD400 was more than capable of handling WPs higher end games... but with the 830 being a 720p screen, the models in Chaos Rings were glitched (that's about the only reason I went back to my 820).

I'm basically just trying to side-grade from the Lumia 820 to a phone that's entirely the same, but has screen sharing and the design language of the Surface Pro 3.

Didn't expect to like the 635 enough to consider any edition of it for a daily driver... but since it compliments my SPro3's HW design so well and has screen sharing, all it's missing is 1GB so I can play games like Mass Effect Infiltrator, Chaos Rings, NOVA 3, Dark Knight Rises, etc.

Understand completely, hope you find a good device for your needs. :)

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Luckily, I was able to score a cheap Lumia Icon that eventually got warranty replaced (twice, found the original on Craigslist for $80 with warranty still). I used/use a Lumia 635 as backup and I love the form factor, but the 3 things I hate are: 512MB of RAM (no Modern Combat 5, which would run smoothly on that phone because of lower screen resolution), no flash light, and no light sensor. Everything else about the 635 is great. Unfortunately, since Gameloft never optimized their games to run well on Windows Phone, anything short of a quad-core device will not run games as smoothly as iOS and Android devices. If this weren't the problem, I'd still be happy using my old 920 as a backup (which I gave to my wife), or even a Lumia 822/820, etc.

I was so angry to find that Microsoft dropped the 640, I would've gladly spent the extra $50 or whatever instead of wasting $50 on the 635. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice since I wanted my replacement Lumia Icon right away so I had to buy something quick. I don't blame Microsoft completely, however, because the 635 was a result of Nokia making poor choices and it was before the hardware division was acquired by Microsoft. From here on out, I will not buy a device with Nokia as the branding, but rather Microsoft because Microsoft now makes devices with specs and price in mind without cutting corners.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb