Hi,

I purchased an AT&T Nokia Lumia 635 go phone for my wife. I would like to download and install some apps to this phone, but since I have go phone AT&T account I don't want you use all my balance for downloading applications to the phone.
    Is it possible to download applications to my Windows 8 laptop first, then transfer them to the phone using USB cable and then install them on the phone?

Thanks a lot.
    Igor
    04-09-2015 09:10 AM
    Hi,

I purchased an AT&T Nokia Lumia 635 go phone for my wife. I would like to download and install some apps to this phone, but since I have go phone AT&T account I don't want you use all my balance for downloading applications to the phone.
    Is it possible to download applications to my Windows 8 laptop first, then transfer them to the phone using USB cable and then install them on the phone?

Thanks a lot.
    Igor
    Yes, you can. Just go to the windowsphone.com store and look for the app that you want to install. You should see at the lower left section of the page "Download and install manually". Underneath that, you will see "learn more"... which you can click to know more about how that is done. It could get a bit technical along the way.

However, there is a much simpler process. Connect your phone to WiFi, then launch the Store app and proceed with installing all the apps that you want.

And welcome to Windows Central!
    Have a read of this - How do I install apps from an SD card? | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

An easier method would be to use WiFi but I'm guessing you don't have that at home?
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-09-2015 09:17 AM
    If you go on windowsphone.com you can search for apps. On the app page there is a link that says "download and install manually" where you can download it. Then you copy it to the phone and open the store where there should be an option to install it in the app bar at the bottom.
    04-09-2015 09:19 AM
    Hi,

Thanks a lot.
    Igor
    Yes, you can. Just go to the windowsphone.com store and look for the app that you want to install. You should see at the lower left section of the page "Download and install manually". Underneath that, you will see "learn more"... which you can click to know more about how that is done. It could get a bit technical along the way.

However, there is a much simpler process. Connect your phone to WiFi, then launch the Store app and proceed with installing all the apps that you want.

And welcome to Windows Central!
    04-09-2015 09:23 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for the answer. I do have WiFi at home, but according to my go phone AT&T plan I still have to pay something when I use my Nokia Lumia 635 with WiFi option.
    04-09-2015 10:35 AM
    I do have WiFi at home, but according to my AT&T go phone plan I still have to pay something for each KB of data when I use WIFI for downloading
    04-09-2015 12:09 PM
    I do have WiFi at home, but according to my AT&T go phone plan I still have to pay something for each KB of data when I use WIFI for downloading
    Is this so? I'm not familiar with the AT&T contract/plan/s, but I think what you said (if true) defeats the purpose of being able to connect to WiFi, especially since smart phone users are generally advised to connect to WiFi when downloading or uploading a huge amount of data to 1) conserve battery power and 2) to avoid unwanted data charges (for those who are not on unlimited data plans). Your mobile contract with AT&T should not have anything to do with what you do in a WiFi connection; per KB charges should only apply when you use your AT&T mobile connection but not when you use your WiFi connection. It's like being billed twice.

Again, I'm not familiar with the AT&T contract, but you may want to verify that one to be sure.
    04-09-2015 01:37 PM
    Never have I heard AT&T (or any other service provider) charging for you to use a service YOU OWN.

You can use Wi-Fi as you see fit, they may be talking about Wi-Fi hotspots they run in public.
    gpobernardo, Guytronic and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-09-2015 01:47 PM
    Is this so? I'm not familiar with the AT&T contract/plan/s, but I think what you said (if true) defeats the purpose of being able to connect to WiFi, especially since smart phone users are generally advised to connect to WiFi when downloading or uploading a huge amount of data to 1) conserve battery power and 2) to avoid unwanted data charges (for those who are not on unlimited data plans). Your mobile contract with AT&T should not have anything to do with what you do in a WiFi connection; per KB charges should only apply when you use your AT&T mobile connection but not when you use your WiFi connection. It's like being billed twice.

Again, I'm not familiar with the AT&T contract, but you may want to verify that one to be sure.
    I checked my AT&T plan and I also went to the closest AT&T store and they confirmed that AT&T would charge me even when I use WiFi. However, I still want to check it myself. I will check my balance, then access my email from the phone using WiFi and then check my balance again. This is the only way to know for sure.
    Thanks.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    04-10-2015 06:54 AM
    Never have I heard AT&T (or any other service provider) charging for you to use a service YOU OWN.

You can use Wi-Fi as you see fit, they may be talking about Wi-Fi hotspots they run in public.
    Maybe you are right. I will run some tests at home tonight and see how my balance changes.
    04-10-2015 06:55 AM
    Maybe you are right. I will run some tests at home tonight and see how my balance changes.
    I have AT&T post-paid and they don't touch my Wi-Fi.

GoPhone doesn't appear to be any different - such a move is probably suicide for the division entirely if its well known enough.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    04-10-2015 11:16 AM
    Hi,
    I downloaded few apps as .xap files from the windowsphone.com using "Download and install manually"and copied them to a brand new micro SD card. I also copied one photo to that card. Then I inserted that SD card into the phone. The phone recognized the SD card. I went through couple setups to be able to use the card with my phone. Now I can open and see the copied photo, but the phone does not recognize any apps. It shows that there are 264 Mb of data on the SD card, but it does not recognize that data. Am I missing something?
    Thanks
    04-11-2015 05:44 AM
    Hi,
    I downloaded few apps as .xap files from the windowsphone.com using "Download and install manually"and copied them to a brand new micro SD card. I also copied one photo to that card. Then I inserted that SD card into the phone. The phone recognized the SD card. I went through couple setups to be able to use the card with my phone. Now I can open and see the copied photo, but the phone does not recognize any apps. It shows that there are 264 Mb of data on the SD card, but it does not recognize that data. Am I missing something?
    Thanks
    You most probably need to "deploy" the apps from your PC to your phone. In this method, you need to connect your phone to your PC, developer unlock your phone and then "deploy" the said .xap file. This will install your app in your phone.
    04-12-2015 07:06 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Not sure about this but you need the card to be formatted first in Windows Phone, then you can copy ur files using PC. The xap/appx files need to be in root directory of your SD card, and your phone need to be able to connect to the internet, open Store, wait for couple of minutes, then you'll see new local installation menu in Store, if it doesn't shows up, try rebooting your phone. I never need to reboot, the menu shows up by itself, but some people suggests so..
    04-12-2015 07:13 AM
    It probably takes a while for it to be recognized in the store.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    04-12-2015 09:00 AM
    See also below how to.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...rom-an-sd-card
    gpobernardo likes this.
    04-12-2015 09:23 AM