Is the Microsoft Lumia 635 Worth it?

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Just found this great deal on Amazon here for a Microsoft Lumia 635 for about $45 Unlocked. 2 of my friends are going for it so I was wondering if I should? Also, I wanted to try out the Windows 10 Phone preview also on it :p

drew_t

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I would wait for the 640, personally. It won't be as cheap, but it won't be as compromised as the 635 is (insufficient RAM, no camera flash, etc.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'd say the answer to that question highly depends on your definition of "being worth it".

Is it worth it to spend US $45 on it as primary smartphone you'll be using every day if you struggle to make ends meet? Probably.
Is it worth it to spend US $45 on an additional phone you don't really need if you struggle to make ends meet? Certainly not.
Is it worth it to spend US $45 on an additional phone you don't really need if you have plenty of money to spare? Probably not.

If you're on a tight budget and need a smartphone I'd say the 635 is probably perfect for you. In all other cases it's money thrown out the window. My personal opinion regarding spending money on things you don't need is that it's never "worth it". Especially if all you intend to do with it is to try out Windows 10, something I wouldn't spend a single penny for. But then again as I have said: YMMV.

Jason Incognito

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Please do not buy the Lumia 635. I currently own a 635, and regret the purchase. Even at $40, it is not worth it.

The Lumia 635 has too little memory (just 512MB), a slow processor, a terrible screen (very low res, and one of the smallest on the market), a lousy and essentially useless) rear camera, no front camera at all, and mediocre battery life. It's only redeeming qualities are its expandable memory, removable battery, and the fact that it can (barely) run Windows 10 Technical Preview.

It's a good phone perhaps for small children to break things, or people who are terrified about their phone getting stolen, or people who constantly drop/shatter their phones and don't want to spend a fortune on replacements or insurance, or people who only want to use it as a portable music player, or people who are on the most restrictive of budgets, or people who want to toss a spare phone in a drawer to keep around in case of a dire need for a temporary replacement device. That's about it.

I truly don't understand the infatuation some people have with this phone. The Lumia 640, as middling as it appears to be, will be a vast improvement on the Lumia 635. Unless you are absolutely desperate for a phone right now, I would wait.

walrusmonarch

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
It is not really that bad of a phone at all! It has the same processor as the one in my Moto G. The lumia 640 also has the same processor! It is not the fastest out there, but it is not unusable or horrible. Of course, there are some serious compromises made to reduce the price so much. There is no front facing camera, if that is important to you, don't buy it. Personally, I have never used it, I don't take selfies or video chat. The 512 RAM may be a bit annoying. Apps often resume a lot. If you like to multitask a lot, then this may get frustrating. The rear camera is decent, not great, for a few shots here and there, it will suffice. The screen is lower res, and yes you can see the pixels, but again, not that bad at all. It has a higher ppi than my 2012 Nexus 7, and I still use that to this day. No issues.

I think this is a phone for people who just don't have the budget for more expensive phones, or people who just want a no nonsense smartphone, or people who want to try out windows phone 8.1. It is by no means a terrible phone. You just need to be aware of the compromises that were made to make it so cheap.

I have a Moto X 2014 PE, and it is vastly more powerful with a better camera, sharper/bigger screen, etc. I am also perfectly happy with lollipop as well, no lag, no problems. Just smooth sailing. I bought the 635 to mess around with windows phone 8.1. I find myself using the 635 more often than my Moto X!

That being said, with the 640 now in the picture, I would probably go for that IF you like a larger size, want a better camera w/ flash, a front facing camera, a bit sharper screen, 1GB RAM, etc. A gig of RAM will always be better than 512MB. If it is just a phone you want to tinker around with and you have another main phone, the 635 is not a bad buy.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I am totally satisfied with my 635. Never been memory starved. Don't need a front facing camera. Battery life is fine. Price was right too.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
For that price, yes. I bought one as a backup and am using it to load WP10 releases on it. It's quite a phone for the price. There is one in our Marketplace forum here for a good price and has some options to go with it.

Check under Forums, Marketplace.​

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 635 has too little memory (just 512MB), a slow processor, a terrible screen (very low res, and one of the smallest on the market), a lousy and essentially useless) rear camera, no front camera at all, and mediocre battery life.
The screen is actually the one thing I liked most about this phone. Not the resolution, not the pixel density, not the deep black colors - it was the fact that it WAS small that I liked. I've had a 5" Lumia 830 for a few months and it was way too large for me, the 635's 4.5" are still a tad too large but significantly better than the 830's 5".

As always: YMMV. For me, even 4.5" are a tad too large and I definitely prefer my iPhone 5S's 4". Infact, I've been using an iPhone 4S for a few days in March and loved it even more. I am one of the few people who hates the current trend of ever larger smartphones with a passion - can't stand it. I do realize, though, that I'm probably one in a million :wink:

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for a year and love it. The only reason I might get a new phone would be for the flash because I like always having a flashlight handy. Or I could just buy a flashlight. Faster might be nice but there's nothing wrong with what it is (sort of like a Ferrari might be faster than a Toyota, but it doesn't give me any desire to go buy a Ferrari because the Toyota is just fine). I did buy mine when in desperate need of a new phone and I am on a very tight budget, but that doesn't matter because the phone is great. I agree with the other poster about there's no sense in buying it just for the sake of buying it, but if you plan to buy a new phone either way, this one is great. It's not just for people who don't use their phone or who drop it or for little children. It's great for anyone who wants a great phone for a super value.

Luis Orellana

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Is a good phone. I don't know why people complain so much about it. I would say that the only features that should have been included are the following: Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor and a Graphic Equalizer w/Dolby Support. If the phone had these features it would be perfect for the price. 512 MB of RAM is not that bad (it is the same as a Lumia 520), the rear camera is not that bad (takes decent pictures) and it's a good sized phone.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Try coming from pricey iPhones held hostage for years by carriers that extort vast fortunes in exchange for overpriced plans. I was one such victim. In other words... I've spent more on stupid, silly-assed iPhone screen protectors.

Today I cackle and marvel at my 635 I got for $30 and a 99 cent SIM card that gets me everything I need for $35 a month. (With a carrier I can leave at the drop of a hat).

And as of now, when it's revealed that MS is not going to release any new flagship phones with specific Windows 10 Hardware until after windows is released, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with a $40 investment to at least get you by.

BennyX

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
heh, I used to have an Xperia Ray (Android device) and it had a 3.3" screen! Was a nice little phone... not really great for web browsing though. (text too small)

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Try coming from pricey iPhones held hostage for years by carriers that extort vast fortunes in exchange for overpriced plans. I was one such victim. In other words... I've spent more on stupid, silly-assed iPhone screen protectors.

Today I cackle and marvel at my 635 I got for $30 and a 99 cent SIM card that gets me everything I need for $35 a month. (With a carrier I can leave at the drop of a hat).

And as of now, when it's revealed that MS is not going to release any new flagship phones with specific Windows 10 Hardware until after windows is released, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with a $40 investment to at least get you by.

Its a good phone, and Windows 10 I headed to such devices. But I personally think you should hold on and wait for the 640, an upgrade in every way possible and future proofed for Windows 10 with 1 GB ram, including every app imaginable. Lumia 635 wont be able to use select apps that can't run on 512 Mb ram phones. I have a 635 but I intend to upgrade to the 640 for 89$ once TMo releases it. Got my TMo 30$ monthly plan on an unlocked at&t Lumia 635 I got for 40$ :3

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
But I personally think you should hold on and wait for the 640, an upgrade in every way possible and future proofed for Windows 10 with 1 GB ram, including every app imaginable.
Well, if holding out is an option then you can wait for just about anything. I'm under the impression though that the OP just wants something to use as a test phone for W10. It doesn't get much cheaper than a 635 and you can find them damn near anywhere.

Edit: And I finally checked the OP's Amazon link and read the description. You can find that same phone at WalMart for the same price I think.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
It is well worth it. I got mine on the Black Friday deal for $40. I like the size, and I'm in the camp who does not want to go larger. I personally think the screen is one of the best on smaller phones and unbeatable at the current price point. The camera is decent and I get a lot of compliments on my photos, but 90% of photography is the photographer and not the camera. I've seen exhibits in major museums where the photos were taken with Instamatics, if you're old enough to remember them. Here's the thing, 95% of the stuff that most people do on phones most of the time are calls, texts, email, snapshots, and browsing the web a bit. Almost any phone can handle those things well, and even the cheapy phones have 90% of the capability of the most expensive. I always find it a bit strange that someone whips out a $600 phone in order to read or send a text message. You don't need a $600 phone to do that! If you want to publish photos, are a serious gamer, or run videos all the time you might want and need something with higher performance. Otherwise, good enough is just great.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Otherwise, good enough is just great.

Great post, and I love this! If you have money to burn and a need or desire for something super high end, then I suppose more power to you, but I like to believe that even when I become well off and don't have to be on such a strict budget, that I'll still be frugal, particularly on the things where more expensive doesn't necessarily mean more benefit to me specifically.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 635 has too little memory (just 512MB), a slow processor, a terrible screen (very low res, and one of the smallest on the market), a lousy and essentially useless) rear camera, no front camera at all, and mediocre battery life. It's only redeeming qualities are its expandable memory, removable battery, and the fact that it can (barely) run Windows 10 Technical Preview.

I don't agree with this at all. It's debateable whether a 635 is worth it to buy right now, but my father got one when it came out and while the display could be better, your statements about the camera, the battery life, and performance are simply incorrect. I checked it out and the performance was smooth, easily on par with the 925 I had. The camera might be bad in low light but it's pretty acceptable in daylight. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. For $45 it's kind of a steal. Sure, the 640 will be better, but it also won't be for $40.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte