Did anyone else get Denim on their AT&T Lumia 635?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Unofficial SWAG follows: we ain't gonna see a 635 GoPhone update this week, says Caption Obvious. :wink:

And since I'm terrible making predictions, especially about the future, I'll leave the "when" question to others.

Wen for GoPhone?

Answer: Don't worry, Windows 10 will fix everything. ;)

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
For grins, I had 2 web chats with our friends at ATT support this past weekend. My question was could I get the Denim update for my 635 - GoPhone SKU with ATT sim. Got 2 different answers which I will now summarize.

Answer #1 - give me your cell # and I'll push it down to you. Didn't work, guy said must be a network problem. Try later. I did, same result.

Answer #2 (next day, different guy) - You get the update from Microsoft (or Nokia) not ATT. Humm... Interesting but very incorrect. Much longer story short here's how our chat ended: You should be getting the update from us "real soon now".

Last edited:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Haha! Classic answers from AT&T. You should have tried for a 3rd answer. Third time is the charm. LOL. ;)

They did push the "random reboot fix" to the L635 GoPhones, even though those models haven't had the problem.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Haha! Classic answers from AT&T. You should have tried for a 3rd answer. Third time is the charm. LOL. ;)

They did push the "random reboot fix" to the L635 GoPhones, even though those models haven't had the problem.

I did not receive the "random reboot fix" (yet?).

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
nor did I but I post paid my Go Phones to get update 2

I now have 2 635 GoPhones. I registry edited one to debrand it, then followed instructions on how to get GDR2 on Lumias in another thread. The other is on GDR1 through Dev Preview.

Something I learned today, that I never had the issue with before doing this. On my de-branded GDR2 635 (on AT&T service), if I am Internet Sharing for my laptop, I'm getting my normal LTE as always. If I receive a call while sharing, my LTE status indicator changes and toggles between H and H+. If I receive a text message while internet sharing and also using my Bluetooth headset, then the Bluetooth on the phone stops functioning and I have to do a soft reset to get it working again. If I get a text message while I'm using the phone on a call via my Bluetooth head set and also while internet sharing, it disables my internet sharing AND my Bluetooth. This is an issue I never have on GDR1, only on the non-AT&T GDR2. Perhaps I need to reflash the phone back to stock again and have it upgrade to GDR2 as postpaid AT&T and see if it fixes my radio issues. I can only assume my country variant ROM is causing the issues. Not sure.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ That's normal. You cannot get LTE when you are on a call, it drops to H+ or 3G. VoLTE phones support voice over LTE and the 635 isn't capable of it.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
^^ That's normal. You cannot get LTE when you are on a call, it drops to H+ or 3G. VoLTE phones support voice over LTE and the 635 isn't capable of it.

Hmm... LTE stays on when on a call on the GDR1 phone, confirmed. Strange. What you say makes perfect sense, though. Perhaps GDR2 has fixed" the data icon display to more properly display what is currently being used as opposed to the type of tower it is connected to. That's a possibility, I suppose. Then again, the GDR1 is branded to AT&T, and my GDR2 is unbranded, so more likely AT&T has rigged their firmware to display LTE anyway if on an LTE capable tower to keep from having to answer questions of "Why am I not getting LTE!?" LOL. Whatever. Sounds like something they would do, anyway.

Kavana Gonur

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hold on one moment...
You guys are telling me that those of us who have a Lumia 635 GoPhone won't get the update for a while? Or not at all?
You're so unfair AT&T... And I don't want to go through a whole debranding process or stuff like that just to get it. I've done enough experiments already, having already updated to Windows 10 Technical Preview and then downgraded back.
I'm telling you guys. Someone should go to Petition.org and make a petition saying that AT&T should release Denim to GoPhones soon. I'm not falling for the 'we're still testing' excuse since they've released it for postpaid already.
You know what? I'm going to make a petition. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Kavana Gonur

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Okay guys, I have some good news. It might've been mentioned in this thread already, but for all you GoPhone users who are so impatient about teh update you guys might blow, here's how you get Denim.
Download an app called Preview for Developers in the Store. Go online to the Preview for Developers website and make a Dev account. Once you've done that, log in with that account to the app. Agree to get these fast updates and then go check for updates on your Lumia. Two updates should install. After they install, go to extras+info and you should see that your device has updated to Lumia Denim.
"Excuse me, but it still says I'm on Lumia Cyan!" you might cry. Again, easy fix. Simply go back into the Preview for Developers app and uncheck the box. Reload extras+infp and it should now say that your device is on Denim. I have no idea why it does this, but maybe it's linked to your Dev stuff or something.
No debranding, nothing complicated here. 100% working. Hope I helped! [SUB][/SUB]

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay guys, I have some good news. It might've been mentioned in this thread already, but for all you GoPhone users who are so impatient about teh update you guys might blow, here's how you get Denim.
Download an app called Preview for Developers in the Store. Go online to the Preview for Developers website and make a Dev account. Once you've done that, log in with that account to the app. Agree to get these fast updates and then go check for updates on your Lumia. Two updates should install. After they install, go to extras+info and you should see that your device has updated to Lumia Denim.
"Excuse me, but it still says I'm on Lumia Cyan!" you might cry. Again, easy fix. Simply go back into the Preview for Developers app and uncheck the box. Reload extras+infp and it should now say that your device is on Denim. I have no idea why it does this, but maybe it's linked to your Dev stuff or something.
No debranding, nothing complicated here. 100% working. Hope I helped! [SUB][/SUB]

Actually no, first that Denim/Cyan label snafu is a cosmetic bug.

Unlike older models, Lumia Denim brings some new bells and whistles to the 635.

And the Preview for Developers does not deliver firmware to phones anyway.

You're getting WP 8.1 Update 1, which is nice and brings some new stuff, but not actual Lumia Denim. (if you had a 920 or other older model it wont matter, but it does with the newer ones who benefit from Denim)

Kavana Gonur

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Actually no, first that Denim/Cyan label snafu is a cosmetic bug.

Unlike older models, Lumia Denim brings some new bells and whistles to the 635.

And the Preview for Developers does not deliver firmware to phones anyway.

You're getting WP 8.1 Update 1, which is nice and brings some new stuff, but not actual Lumia Denim. (if you had a 920 or other older model it wont matter, but it does with the newer ones who benefit from Denim)

Yeah, but when I downloade, it had Lumia Cmera, folders on Start Screen, and that kind of stuff. So...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but when I downloade, it had Lumia Cmera, folders on Start Screen, and that kind of stuff. So...

Folders are a Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 feature.

The 635 had Lumia Camera anyway (not the fancy 5 version), does it have an equalizer, that is the question.

Kavana Gonur

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Folders are a Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 feature.

The 635 had Lumia Camera anyway (not the fancy 5 version), does it have an equalizer, that is the question.

I see your point there. So the Developer's Preview does NOT unlock early Lumia Denim?
Man, I wish the REAL thing would be released by AT&T sooner...

Hold on one moment...
You guys are telling me that those of us who have a Lumia 635 GoPhone won't get the update for a while? Or not at all?
You're so unfair AT&T... And I don't want to go through a whole debranding process or stuff like that just to get it. I've done enough experiments already, having already updated to Windows 10 Technical Preview and then downgraded back.
I'm telling you guys. Someone should go to Petition.org and make a petition saying that AT&T should release Denim to GoPhones soon. I'm not falling for the 'we're still testing' excuse since they've released it for postpaid already.
You know what? I'm going to make a petition. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm telling you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrplHaz4

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I see your point there. So the Developer's Preview does NOT unlock early Lumia Denim?
Man, I wish the REAL thing would be released by AT&T sooner...

I'm telling you.

I've gone the Post-Paid route with my GoPhone, and have been very happy with the results (compared to W10 Preview and "fake" Denim)

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I have been following this post, and to let you know, the 635 on Cricket (owned by att) has denim. i used the recovery tool to go back to 8.1 (which to i recall the phone only had cyan when i installed the latest 10 build three weeks ago) Imagine my surprise after app updates an all, my extras and info says denim. i wasn't expecting it!! any other cricket owners can chime in? or do any att 635's have denim yet?

Droska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey Guys!, i have a Question, I live in Venezuela, and i bought an AT&T Lumia 635, but obviusly i had to free the phone so i could use my local phone services (Movistar) but so far the only update that i have been able to install is 8.10.12397.895 (8.1?).. is there a way that i can get denim? or do i have to do something with my phone? will i be able to get W10 when it comes out? Even if my phone isnt in the US? If i can leave my phone with the current OS and wait to get W10 ill leave it like that.

(Sorry for bad englisH)

Small update: Just found that the latest os for the at&t L635 is 8.10.15137.148, but my phone says i have the latest version.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
8.10.15 is for the AT&T post-paid Lumia 635, not the pre-paid Lumia 635 like you have.

We're stuck on 8.10.12 because ATT has not released the update for the GoPhone Lumia 635 yet (RM-975)

Janrowe Amizola

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey Guys!, i have a Question, I live in Venezuela, and i bought an AT&T Lumia 635, but obviusly i had to free the phone so i could use my local phone services (Movistar) but so far the only update that i have been able to install is 8.10.12397.895 (8.1?).. is there a way that i can get denim? or do i have to do something with my phone? will i be able to get W10 when it comes out? Even if my phone isnt in the US? If i can leave my phone with the current OS and wait to get W10 ill leave it like that.

(Sorry for bad englisH)

Small update: Just found that the latest os for the at&t L635 is 8.10.15137.148, but my phone says i have the latest version.

I have the same problem.. I'm from different country which is not susupported by the AT&T network. 😞

nando lopez

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
A mi aun no me llega la actualizacion denim como fue que lo lograron? tuvieron que cambiar la rom? gracias!

I would not yet reached the update denim how did I do it? That change had the rom ? thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa