Anniversry Update on a Nokia Lumia 635 512MB ram model

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I got Sprint service to activate! First time I have been able to do that with out going back to 8.1 first. So far in 24 hours of my normal use this is best version yet I have loaded.

mikphoneW1

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
T-Mobile 635 here with the AU as well and I'm not on the insider preview.
How'd you do that?? T-Mobile stopped supporting Lumia 635 at 8.1 Cyan - no further updates. You *must* be on Insider. Also, supposedly T-Mobile and Lumia must issue a firmware update for anything beyond Cyan - did you get that someplace else?

mikphoneW1

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
It would have been much easier if you had enrolled in the Insider preview program several months ago, before the official launch of the public upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. At that time, it was fairly easy for Lumia 635 owners to upgrade to the preview release of Windows 10 Mobile because Microsoft hadn't yet officially decided yet to drop support for these phones.

If you had obtained the preview release of Windows 10 Mobile, then it would have been fairly easy to switch to regular production builds of Windows 10 Mobile after the upgrade was officially released. And for me, having made it on to production builds of Windows 10 Mobile, I automatically received the Anniversary Update as a regular monthly push update.

At this point, however, if you're on still on Windows Phone 8.1 then you're probably stuck with it unless you're willing to perform some unsupported hacks to enable the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. I've never tried those hacks, so I cannot comment on how difficult or effective they are.
I don't really care whether I can get 10 or not, but can I get into Insider at all at this point just to get 8.1 Denim or Update 2? T-Mobile has abandoned etc.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by mikphoneW1
Originally Posted by twint7787
T-Mobile 635 here with the AU as well and I'm not on the insider preview.

How'd you do that?? T-Mobile stopped supporting Lumia 635 at 8.1 Cyan - no further updates. You *must* be on Insider. Also, supposedly T-Mobile and Lumia must issue a firmware update for anything beyond Cyan - did you get that someplace else?

At first, yes, I was in the insider program. I searched for updates and it upgraded me to an earlier build than the AU.

However, I switched to the production ring and I received the AU. I have stayed on the production ring and I continue to get updated to the latest builds.

I don't use this phone as my main device any more but imo it's not bad. I could probably use it everyday although it is slow. There are some random crashes here and there but the phone hasn't reset once and that's amazing considering it used to happen all the time on 8.1.

You can try it on your phone if you have another phone for back up. Enter the insider program and look for new builds.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a L635 that I played around with W10 Mobile before it was officially released and use as a music player for my old stereo system (I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable hooked into the back of my amp).

I came across this tread last month and since I hadn't used the phone since the summer, I fired it up and checked for updates. Sure enough, the AU showed up and I installed it. After using the 635 quite regularly for a few weeks straight over the holidays, I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed how well W10M runs on this thing. Let me preface this to say the phone has no SIM and I don't use it as my daily driver (I have a L830 for that). It's also a pretty bare bones OS as I don't have a lot of apps installed. But for a Snapdragon 200 and 512MB of RAM it handles all I need. I feel like for most tasks, performance is on pare with my L830. Battery life has also been outstanding.

Last edited:

hilga007

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Quick Update: it is March. Reset my Lumia 635 (Sprint; 512MB RAM) on 10586. I had it on the Fast Ring but had not been getting any updates.

After reboot, the Anniversary Update available and installing!!!!!

Just for reference, I don't have a SIM card in this phone and just use it for Telegram and Kik messaging as well as email and Facebook messenger.

Lautaro Papagno

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Quick Update: it is March. Reset my Lumia 635 (Sprint; 512MB RAM) on 10586. I had it on the Fast Ring but had not been getting any updates.

After reboot, the Anniversary Update available and installing!!!!!

Just for reference, I don't have a SIM card in this phone and just use it for Telegram and Kik messaging as well as email and Facebook messenger.
Hi Hilga is FB Messenger working on your 635? any mayor bug?

hilga007

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Hilga is FB Messenger working on your 635? any mayor bug?

This is a really good question. I have not played with the phone in a few months, actually! I will report back with the findings.

However: I have noticed that Messenger was sluggish. Someone has suggested extracting Messenger for Windows Phone 8 and sideloading it, but I simply have not had the time.

I also plan to use DHTAdvisor to upgrade the 635 to the Creator's Update

hilga007

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Well then. Better late than never.... Messenger has worked fine on this with 512MB RAM.

Just wish they would release the Lite version already!!

Currently have mine running the Creator’s Update still.

This is a really good question. I have not played with the phone in a few months, actually! I will report back with the findings.

However: I have noticed that Messenger was sluggish. Someone has suggested extracting Messenger for Windows Phone 8 and sideloading it, but I simply have not had the time.

I also plan to use DHTAdvisor to upgrade the 635 to the Creator's Update

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs