Nokia Lumia 710 is my first smartphone and I'm LOVING it~

Mokonoko

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It feels so overwhelming switching to a smartphone from a Nokia 2720 fold which kinda broke in half a couple days ago. So my entire family was talking about upgrading phones back in like November and ever since I did research on what the best phone was to upgrade. I was thinking the MyTouch 4G Slide would be my dream phone and for some reason I NEVER ever glanced at the HTC Radar because "Ew wait it doesn't have an SD card? 8 gb? I can't live on that!" But ironically when the Nokia news was coming around I heard of it and looked up these phones and here I am with the 710, which by the way is FABULOUS and my friends and people in my school at like "OMG that looks cool!" when I'm playing around on it.

It was not all that exciting though since let's say one of my family members who had a Samsung Galaxy S thought it was a good idea to get a LG Mytouch <__<

I'm still learning how to use it and so far I've installed a couple ringtones on it. My only gripe is that the Lumia's 710 physical button I have a habit of pressing hard on the back button which I think causes random accidental multitask backgrounds which I guess takes up more power. Is there a way to delete a multitasking tab?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not how hard you press the back button. It's the length of time.

A quick tap will have you go to the previous screen.

A longer tap/hold will bring up that multitasking tab screen. Those are applications that are either running or dehydrated (like hibernating/sleeping) in the background. You can swipe to choose to go back to one of these applications instantly resume where you left off.

But whether you hold that button or not, these applications are still there in memory in the background. But you don't have to worry about them. If the OS detects that it's getting low on resources, it will start dropping these dehydrated applications one by one without you having to do it manually.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

Great that your enjoying your 710, you'll soon get used to the back button I'm sure Mokonoko.

Hope you're enjoying the world of Windows Phone.

Feel free to share your views.

Welcome along to WPCentral. :)

Subydo

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm new too.

I too just bought the Nokia Lumia 710 (from a Nokia Nuron), so I'll say that this is my first smart phone. The Nuron was ok but just not good enough.

I'm really enjoying the Lumia too. But I'm still learning how to do things on it. The "instruction manual" that came with it is pretty pointless. Yesterday I downloaded a more detailed manual. But even THAT did not really tell me what I was trying to find out how to do, which was custom ringtones from the app. It wants you to download them from Zune. Blech. Too much work.

But Today I find this site and now I've got a new ringtone thanks to the video about the Easyring app. Thanks. But now I want to know how to assign a ringtone to a contact. Is that possible? I thought I saw that it was but can't figure out how.

Oh BTW, thanks for explaining the Back button multitask thing. I was wondering why it was doing that.

I have more questions... No Words With Friends? Even doing it through facebook, I can't seem to move the letters to the board.
Also I'm looking for an app that lets me calculate the hours I've worked, i.e.: a virtual time clock. My coworker has one on her non-windows phone but I can't find one for mine.

So thanks for letting me rant. Hope someone can help me.
:blush:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

If you 'long hold' on your contact, then go to edit, you should then be able to chose your ringtone for that contact. :)

We don't have words with friends yet on Windows Phone, just Words by Post. (Cross platform)

Can't think of a virtual time clock I'm afraid, but hopefully someone else will know of something for you.

Oh and welcome along to WPCentral Subydo. :)

Subydo

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

If you 'long hold' on your contact, then go to edit, you should then be able to chose your ringtone for that contact. :)

We don't have words with friends yet on Windows Phone, just Words by Post. (Cross platform)

Can't think of a virtual time clock I'm afraid, but hopefully someone else will know of something for you.

Oh and welcome along to WPCentral Subydo. :)

Thank you Wee Bear. I'll try the ringtone thing. Will it work with downloaded tones? I'll try.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It feels so overwhelming switching to a smartphone from a Nokia 2720 fold which kinda broke in half a couple days ago.

May I inquire as to your age group? We hear lots of stories about how the "smartphone user" marketshare is still small compared to the standard phone marketshare.

Are you a teenager, young adult, etc. I have a co-worker (early 40's who just now got a smartphone, because his son gave it to him).

Congrats on the new WP7!

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just bought this for the wife. it came today so I've been playing with it all day.. OMG It has sound volume. if you have a HD7 you know what I am talking about the device is loud ,fast, and the colors are great. we got this for no charge by adding an account to the family plan. other than the size being small this device plows the hd7 out of the water. I can't wait to get a big screen Nokia.. I'm sold on them.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I take it you're rather pleased with it then jabtano? :D

Very happy with it. so is the wife who like me had an HD7 the first hour on it she was hum this may be to small. but right now she getting adjusted to it because I asked her wanna trade you can have my HD7 she looked at me and said NO i'm good.Also I sort of like the buttons I'm always hitting the bing button but with the toggle set up on the 710 I rather like it. you can't hit it by mistake.

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Very happy with it. so is the wife who like me had an HD7 the first hour on it she was hum this may be to small. but right now she getting adjusted to it because I asked her wanna trade you can have my HD7 she looked at me and said NO i'm good.Also I sort of like the buttons I'm always hitting the bing button but with the toggle set up on the 710 I rather like it. you can't hit it by mistake.
So you don't have a problem with the lack of storage on the device?
This is my only concern in getting one.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So you don't have a problem with the lack of storage on the device?
This is my only concern in getting one.

Not really, first off let me explain, if she was going to use this device for doing video or storing music that "could" be an issue. But one must remember 25gb of Sky Drive gives you a total of 32gb.We have zune pass so again no problem there. she really is just a few emails to read or send. phone calls incoming and outgoing text to the kids. and Nokia Drive. this device the 710 isn't high-end. However it sure does kick butt on the first gen WP7 high end devices. After a day with this device all I can say it's really an outstanding device. I took it with me today because I really wanted to give a workout on a day in my pocket. the device is fast and responsive.call quality is much better than the HTC HD7 and the sound volume is up there. against the HD7 in picture quality call quality, sound quality, the Nokia Lumia 710 IS HANDS DOWN BETTER. the screen size HD7 but then again I'm more of a big screen person. with that said The smaller size screen didn't really effect me in what I did all day reading news emails what I found hard was the keypad and my big fingers.

With the HD7 i'm always hitting the Bing button. but with the 710 I didn't have that issue at all today.For a device that is suppose to be an entry level smartphone it sure in heck acts like a high end device.

Mokonoko

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
May I inquire as to your age group? We hear lots of stories about how the "smartphone user" marketshare is still small compared to the standard phone marketshare.

Are you a teenager, young adult, etc. I have a co-worker (early 40's who just now got a smartphone, because his son gave it to him).

Congrats on the new WP7!

Teenager~, I went from having an ew flip phone to an awesome phone that amazes everyone in school :)

Mokonoko

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Aq

How is the battery life on the 710 any issues?

I think it's good enough if I start out the day with a 100% and I play random games/listen to music on it alot, just enough battery life to get back home and use the charger which is like, 12 hours.

Question about Skydrive, does it use up data? Like if I put 3 GBs worth of songs there and I go through the entire songlist will I use up 3 GBs of data?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism