Nokia Lumia 710 Battery Life Issue?

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
1230 mAh just isn't enough for a touch-screen smartphone. There's no excuse for this sort of thing. Even on the BB 9900, with a smaller screen, a lot of people are having problems due to it being underpowered. The manufacturers are shipping these things with tiny batteries to keep them thin and stylish, and letting the end users worry about how to get through the day on them.

In my view, 1500 mAh is barely enough for a current generation smartphone, but realistically there shouldn't be anything with less than 1700. The processors get faster, and there's no free lunch. They need more juice.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
1230 mAh just isn't enough for a touch-screen smartphone. There's no excuse for this sort of thing. Even on the BB 9900, with a smaller screen, a lot of people are having problems due to it being underpowered. The manufacturers are shipping these things with tiny batteries to keep them thin and stylish, and letting the end users worry about how to get through the day on them.

In my view, 1500 mAh is barely enough for a current generation smartphone, but realistically there shouldn't be anything with less than 1700. The processors get faster, and there's no free lunch. They need more juice.

I agree, i came from the Nokia E71 and the last I checked, it had a 1500 mAh! Had enough juice to last for daysss! i can't understand why they'd put 1300mAh on a smartphone! i'd rather they make it a lil thicker but w/ a bigger battery!

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I just did a hard reset and my battery life estimated life time increased from 18 hours to 1 day and 12 hours with all old apps installed. Two things that may be the culprit:

1. Make sure you go to App Highlights, then click the settings dots at the bottom of the screen and choose privacy. Deselect where it says it can collect data. There is also a checkbox for notifications that needs to be unchecked. Make sure you turn off the App Highlights live tile as well.

2. When you first boot your phone for the first time (or after a hard reset) it asks you to sign into Nokia services or whatever. I'm wondering if there is data collection from that, so I chose not to sign and will see if my battery life increases.

I have a feeling that battery life will be hot garbage though regardless, but just food for thought.....

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I just did a hard reset and my battery life estimated life time increased from 18 hours to 1 day and 12 hours with all old apps installed. Two things that may be the culprit:

1. Make sure you go to App Highlights, then click the settings dots at the bottom of the screen and choose privacy. Deselect where it says it can collect data. There is also a checkbox for notifications that needs to be unchecked. Make sure you turn off the App Highlights live tile as well.

2. When you first boot your phone for the first time (or after a hard reset) it asks you to sign into Nokia services or whatever. I'm wondering if there is data collection from that, so I chose not to sign and will see if my battery life increases.

I have a feeling that battery life will be hot garbage though regardless, but just food for thought.....

Battery life drops so much after old apps are reinstalled? Do you have a lot of background tasks active?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Estimated battery life is just that: estimated. Not to mention it's based initially on the standby rating and from there it's based on average usage. For example if I browse or game continually for an hour or so and then check battery saver it might say 57% remaining, 2 hours estimated. Then if I don't touch it for ? hour and then check battery saver again it will say 54% remaining, 8 hours estimated.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I understand the Nokia BP-4L can fit into the 710 with a little tweaking to the back cover, so with that said does anyone know where to get a Nokia genuine 1650mAh BP-4L battery? I have been googling and checking ebay for one but no luck.

The BP-4L used to be 1500mAh so those are the only ones that you can find online.

Also there has been a lot of talk about Mugen batteries in this thread so I should add that I bought a 1300mAh Mugen battery to use as a spare for my HD7 and the Mugen battery gets drained a lot faster than the original HD7 battery with similar usage. The Mugen battery isn't bad, but don't expect too much.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Estimated battery life is just that: estimated. Not to mention it's based initially on the standby rating and from there it's based on average usage. For example if I browse or game continually for an hour or so and then check battery saver it might say 57% remaining, 2 hours estimated. Then if I don't touch it for ? hour and then check battery saver again it will say 54% remaining, 8 hours estimated.

I understand this and made sure I had used it first before making this statement. It takes awhile before the battery meter actually reads an accurate statement. The true statement won't come in until it's been used a while and gets a true estimate.

And you're right, I've seen it to where it will estimate I have like two hours left after playing a game, but then come back a half hour later and it'll say perhaps 8 hours. It's been a couple of days and it is still estimating 1 days 12 hours, whereas before it would estimate around 18 hours after being unplugged (this is a reading of just pulling it out of my pocket off the charger). I have also deleted the ESPN app that comes with it because it showed up in my Background Apps under the Advanced section of where I would have no control of turning it off. I opened the ESPN app and looked for a settings menu or something and found nothing, so to play it safe I deleted it (hardly use it anyway).

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I understand the Nokia BP-4L can fit into the 710 with a little tweaking to the back cover, so with that said does anyone know where to get a Nokia genuine 1650mAh BP-4L battery? I have been googling and checking ebay for one but no luck.

The BP-4L used to be 1500mAh so those are the only ones that you can find online.

Also there has been a lot of talk about Mugen batteries in this thread so I should add that I bought a 1300mAh Mugen battery to use as a spare for my HD7 and the Mugen battery gets drained a lot faster than the original HD7 battery with similar usage. The Mugen battery isn't bad, but don't expect too much.

Not trying to be smart, but doesn't the HD7 have a 1500mah? I don't remember from when I had my old one, but I'm sure it did. If that's the case then of course it will drain faster at 1300 mah, or am I overlooking something?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Battery life drops so much after old apps are reinstalled? Do you have a lot of background tasks active?

I have checked my background tasks, and the only one that I found that I don't know how background tasks are being used is ESPN. It appeared in the advanced background tasks tab and I looked for settings in the ESPN app to turn it off and there were no settings, so I deleted it for safe measure. Other than that, I'm aware of any background tasks that show up in both the advanced and basic lists and I'm OK with them (MetroRadio, for example, shows up in the Advanced Tasks you can't turn off, but yea....I'm sure we know why about that lol).

The only two active ones I have are StormGlass weather and GasBuddy, and they don't update that often. I know there are battery problems with the Lumia 800, so I'm wondering if we just got the same thing as well (and we have smaller batteries)......

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to be smart, but doesn't the HD7 have a 1500mah? I don't remember from when I had my old one, but I'm sure it did. If that's the case then of course it will drain faster at 1300 mah, or am I overlooking something?

No the original battery the HD7 came with was 1230mAh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb