Nokia Lumia 710 Battery Life Issue?

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Just bought the Nokia Lumia 710 from Rogers in Canada and everything works fine and i love it but it seems like the battery runs out pretty fast. Is that normal?

With a full charge, the battery drops to about 50% after less than 5hrs with normal use (check ppl hub, txt msgs periodically). Mind you I have a few background tasks enabled but I'm assuming WP7 accounts for those when it comes to battery life. I have the latest update of 7.10.8107.79

Is anyone experiencing the same thing? Is that the norm for the phone or do I have a lemon?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, the 710 does have a fast processor and a small battery... Some of what you're experiencing may be due to it still being a fairly new device... Battery life on my HD7 was a disaster for the 1st couple weeks: I would've been THRILLED to get 10 hours out of it back then! Now I get at least 15 hours per charge if I lay off the games

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, the 710 does have a fast processor and a small battery... Some of what you're experiencing may be due to it still being a fairly new device... Battery life on my HD7 was a disaster for the 1st couple weeks: I would've been THRILLED to get 10 hours out of it back then! Now I get at least 15 hours per charge if I lay off the games
Thanks for the reply! So the battery gets better as you charge it more?

I also see batteries online where they're like 2200 mAh and says they're for the Lumia 710...would getting those help the battery life?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, stay away from those unbranded batteries you see on eBay.
this kinda seems legit but i guess probably not..
GOLD 2430MAH BP-3L HIGH CAPACITY BUSINESS BATTERY FOR NOKIA 603 LUMIA 710 | eBay

I've heard that w/ some phones, ppl should use the battery til it's complete drain and then recharge it to the full to get the max utilization of the battery. Is that true? or is that only applicable to older generations of batteries?

Or is it just like freestaterocker stated above, that i just need to break in the battery for some time first?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
GOLD 2430MAH BP-3L HIGH CAPACITY BUSINESS BATTERY FOR NOKIA 603 LUMIA 710 | eBay

I've heard that w/ some phones, ppl should use the battery til it's complete drain and then recharge it to the full to get the max utilization of the battery. Is that true? or is that only applicable to older generations of batteries?

Or is it just like freestaterocker stated above, that i just need to break in the battery for some time first?

The complete drain method is actually a bad idea with lithium ion tech. They are designed specifically for frequent partial charging. This was true with older battery tech like nickel hydride and the like, but not anymore.

Also possibly contributing too poor battery life is new toy syndrome, where you actually play with the device more than you realize... I know I did. :D

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Well the Lumia 710 has a 1300mAh battery I believe? And this battery that they're selling is the same size yet has a 2430mAh capacity?

I mean, you would think that if the Nokia engineers could have fit a larger capacity battery in the phone, they would have. I mean, I can understand a 100-300mAh increase with a battery that has the same dimensions, but over 1000? I sort of doubt it.

You're welcome to try it out and review it for us though. :p The seller seems to have a seven day return policy, but I don't know if that's enough to evaluate a battery.

The complete drain method is actually a bad idea with lithium ion tech. They are designed specifically for frequent partial charging. This was true with older battery tech like nickel hydride and the like, but not anymore.

Also possibly contributing too poor battery life is new toy syndrome, where you actually play with the device more than you realize... I know I did. :D

That's right, lithium ion batteries can be topped off any time. The only reason you would fully discharge a lithium ion battery is to recalibrate the battery meter.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

lol i think you are right abt the new toy syndrome...i guess i'll play w/ it for a bit more time and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help guys!

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My wife has a 710 the first few days it wore down fast but it has gotten very good much better than the hd7 I am charging all the time.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what kind of device you are coming from, but a weak 3G,or is that 4G, signal could adversely affect your battery. The teeny 1230mAh battery in my Surround can get me through 10-14 hours of moderate to heavy use. EMail, texts, browsing, reading news, and at least a hour in these forums. That's with WiFi always on, 8 background tasks, 4 email accounts (2 push, 2-30 minutes), auto brightness, etc. Pretty light with games though, which is a battery killer. You battery should get a bit stronger with time. Avoid anything but OEM batteries if you possibly can. All the others are full of fluff.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Lxxh

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

I ordered this same battery a few days ago, I will let you guys know how it does when it get here.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what kind of device you are coming from, but a weak 3G,or is that 4G, signal could adversely affect your battery. The teeny 1230mAh battery in my Surround can get me through 10-14 hours of moderate to heavy use. EMail, texts, browsing, reading news, and at least a hour in these forums. That's with WiFi always on, 8 background tasks, 4 email accounts (2 push, 2-30 minutes), auto brightness, etc. Pretty light with games though, which is a battery killer. You battery should get a bit stronger with time. Avoid anything but OEM batteries if you possibly can. All the others are full of fluff.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
I went thru today of about 12hrs without charging and still have about 30% left...so definitely seeing improvement on the battery :D I was casually using my phone today...using 3G txts, browsed a lil, read news and was on fb and twitter but i didn't turn Wifi on...i'll test out turning on Wifi tomorrow and see how it goes :)

chubbychicken

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Just bought the Nokia Lumia 710 from Rogers in Canada and everything works fine and i love it but it seems like the battery runs out pretty fast. Is that normal?

With a full charge, the battery drops to about 50% after less than 5hrs with normal use (check ppl hub, txt msgs periodically). Mind you I have a few background tasks enabled but I'm assuming WP7 accounts for those when it comes to battery life. I have the latest update of 7.10.8107.79

Is anyone experiencing the same thing? Is that the norm for the phone or do I have a lemon?
I bought the Lumia this last Thursday, on Friday morning i installed a software upgrade they pushed to the phone and i've noticed a big improvement in battery life.. did you get that upgrade on your phone already?

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Lumia this last Thursday, on Friday morning i installed a software upgrade they pushed to the phone and i've noticed a big improvement in battery life.. did you get that upgrade on your phone already?
yeah i got the software upgrade...my battery seems to be getting better after a few days

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My battery life isn't that good on my Lumia on tmobile. Then again, I'm coming from the HTC Radar, which had amazing battery life so perhaps that's why its worse for me. The faster processor and smaller battery would def cause a drop in avg battery life, but i guess i didn't expect it to be this much :(

I also applied the manual 8107 hack today so I will see if that improves anything but doubt it :(

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My battery life isn't that good on my Lumia on tmobile. Then again, I'm coming from the HTC Radar, which had amazing battery life so perhaps that's why its worse for me. The faster processor and smaller battery would def cause a drop in avg battery life, but i guess i didn't expect it to be this much :(

I also applied the manual 8107 hack today so I will see if that improves anything but doubt it :(

Yes, the battery life on the Lumia 710 is not so good. My wife did a few texts, a little email, and one phone call from the morning (fully charged) to about 4 PM yesterday. At 4 PM she had 65% battery left. Geez...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3